Are TP-Link EAPs compatible with DECO mesh?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-10 12:25:45 - last edited 2019-10-25 11:35:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi

I would like to expand my DECO coverage to outdoor and was looking at some TP-LINK EAP225. I realized that EAPs can also provide MESH.

So I thought are EAPs compatible with DECO?

if not compatible, what TP-LINK (outdoor) are compatible with DECO?

Thanks!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Are TP-Link EAPs compatible with DECO mesh?-Solution
2019-10-11 01:02:08 - last edited 2019-10-25 11:35:45

@ragnakore 

Hello, the Deco and EAP225-Outdoor supports mesh both, while they cannot build up ONE mesh network together. They are separated from each other. 

You can use the Deco to broadcast a mesh network indoor and then connect the EAP225-Outdoor to the Deco and make EAP225-Outdoor another mesh network outside. 

For more information about EAP225-Outdoor, you can start a thread at https://community.tp-link.com/en/business

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-01 08:09:35 - last edited 2021-09-02 06:12:08

@wojo3 

Hi, Deco would not work seamlessly with indoor or outdoor Mesh EAP.

You could keep your old router and turn its wife off and use EAP225(V3)/EAP245(v3) as the indoor wireless access point, then add EAP225-outdoor for the outdoor wireless range.

Then the indoor and outdoor EAP could build a seamless Mesh network, such as:

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
2019-10-11 01:02:08 - last edited 2019-10-25 11:35:45

@ragnakore 

Hello, the Deco and EAP225-Outdoor supports mesh both, while they cannot build up ONE mesh network together. They are separated from each other. 

You can use the Deco to broadcast a mesh network indoor and then connect the EAP225-Outdoor to the Deco and make EAP225-Outdoor another mesh network outside. 

For more information about EAP225-Outdoor, you can start a thread at https://community.tp-link.com/en/business

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Are TP-Link EAPs compatible with DECO mesh?
2020-08-14 07:53:47

@Kevin_Z 
Can I connect my deco e4 to my EAP225?

Options
2020-08-17 07:26:49

@Ysam 

Hello,

As we mentioned previously, Deco can only build a mesh network with the Deco, it can't build a mesh network with the non-Deco devices. However, you can still connect the EAP225 to the Deco E4 with an Ethernet cable to extend its wireless range and they will work, it's just they cannot build up a mesh network together.

Good day.

Options
2020-12-08 00:14:17

@TP-Link_Deco 

will I be able to use the voucher from omada to deco connected via lan?

Options
2021-08-29 16:34:37

@TP-Link_Deco 

If I used the Deco M5 for indoor wireless and have an EAP225 for outdoor, will the wireless signals interfere with each other and cause issues on the wireless devices - i.e. not know when to switch from outdoor wireless to indoor?

Do they need to be a certain distance away from each other?

Is there a simple document that explains how to setup the EAP225 so that there is no issue with the DECO or is is as simple as make sure all use the same SSID and password?

I have a wireless router from the cable company.

My situation is that I want to use the EAP225 for wireless on a patio area outside.  The patio area is ony 40 feet for the main wireless router inside the house.

The deck in between the house and router has a lot of metal and prevents the indoor wireless from reliably reaching the patio so I added the EAP225.

If I plug in the EAP225, and go from outside to inside, the cell phone maintains a connection to the EAP and signal gets weaker and doesn't seem to switch to the indoor wireless.

I replace the cable company wireless router with the DECO M5 (2 units inside), will this work better with the EAP225?

Thanks,

Options
2021-08-30 03:40:57

@wojo3 

Hi,

Did you choose Deco because both Deco and EAP225 support Mesh and they are under the same company?

While Deco whole mesh and EAP mesh technology are not compatible, and they are not able to create the same Mesh network.

So when they are connected together, Deco would work as a normal indoor router and there would still be wireless interference.

Options
2021-08-31 22:40:47

@TP-Link 

Yes, I picked the DECO because it was the same company.

Should I be looking at the EAP225?

Would that work seamlessly with the EAP225 outdoor?

Thanks.

Options
2021-09-01 08:09:35 - last edited 2021-09-02 06:12:08

@wojo3 

Hi, Deco would not work seamlessly with indoor or outdoor Mesh EAP.

You could keep your old router and turn its wife off and use EAP225(V3)/EAP245(v3) as the indoor wireless access point, then add EAP225-outdoor for the outdoor wireless range.

Then the indoor and outdoor EAP could build a seamless Mesh network, such as:

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-01 15:55:37
Perfect, thanks for the clarification!
Options
2022-02-06 08:51:59

@Kevin_Z 

I am using a deco mesh system with 2 routers in my house and 1 in a granny flat, which is about 80m from my house. 
we get around 100mbps until there are too many people on devices, then it drops to around 4mbps with black spots all over. 
I have tried running an Ethernet cable to the granny flat, but this has only made a marginal difference. 
We've done it this way as we live rural and are using Starlink since we don't get fibre. 
Would I be able to use a 255 inside the granny flat plugged into the deco router using the cable I have run down there, and move the third deco router back up to the main house?
It won't matter if it is a different network as long as we get a strong connection. 
Would this work?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7767

Replies: 10