Range extender with Access Control in the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-23 19:10:51 - last edited 2020-10-19 03:19:18
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

I have a TPLINK AC1200 router which has Access Control (via MAC IDs) enabled. When I connect the TL-WA850RE range extender to this Wifi - it does not work (I have addedd the MAC ID of the range extender to the allowed list of the access control in the router also). The moment I disable the access control in the router - everything works fine. My question is - how do I use the range extender with Access Control enabled in the router? Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Range extender with Access Control in the router-Solution
2020-10-19 03:18:45 - last edited 2020-10-19 03:19:18

@MichaKleine 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

May I know the model number of your home router?

Since TL-WA854RE is using the proxy mode with virtual MAC address, have you seen the following instruction before:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2019/

Thanks a lot.

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Range extender with Access Control in the router
2019-10-24 03:40:07

@KRay 

Please read the instruction below to get the MAC address of the TL-WA850RE you needed to enable the access control on the router. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/927/

Note: The usage of mac filtering and access control are the same. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-25 05:51:03

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks Kevin for your reply. I went thru the instructions in the link you shared. Unfortunately - I DO NOT see the operations mode dropdown in the Wireless section of my router. I have a link of 'Mode' on the top-right - that shows only 2 options a) AP mode and 2) Extender mode. Currently, I have chosen 'Extender Mode'. I still have the same issues - with Access control it does not work. Let me explain what I have:

- I have assigned a static IP for the Extender in my router DHCP, the extender does pick up this IP address, so I know it's connecting to the router with the correct MAC ID

- I have added the Extender's MAC addresses (found 2) to the whitelist of the router 

- without the access control in the router - everything works - I see the IP of the extender, I can login to it as well, other nearby devices also connect to the Extender and work fine

- The moment I turn on the access control in the router - the Extender loses it's connection to the router - even the connection LEDs (the ones that show the signal strength) goes blank and all the devices connected to the Extender lose their internet.

- My Extender is - Firmware Version:1.0.0 Build 20190422 Rel. 52057(6985), Hardware Version:TL-WA850RE v6.0

What am I doing wrong? Greatly appreciate any help.

Regards,

Kanchan 

Options
2019-10-25 07:28:31

@KRay 

The two operation modes are different; the TL-WA860RE works in proxy mode by default; so you can follow the instruction to enable mac filtering over proxy mode to give it a go.

1. Find the MAC address of the devices connected to the TL-WA860RE first and write them down; You can find on the back panel usually. 

2. Find the MAC address of these devices under settings-DHCP-DHCP client lists page of TL-WA860RE and write them down. In the meantime, please find the MAC address of 2.4GHz of the extender on the settings-status page.

3. Find the MAC address of the clients and the extender under the DHCP client lists page and then you can add all available MAC address to whitelist of Access control to give it a go. 

Still the same, please show us the screenshots of the pages mentioned above. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-10-25 16:38:29

@Kevin_Z 

A small note - mine is TL-WA850RE :) 

Options
2019-10-28 06:50:35

@KRay 

Sorry, typed wrong number. 

Options
2019-10-28 17:22:13 - last edited 2019-10-29 03:54:46

@Kevin_Z 

Tried the proxy mode settings and finally gave up - unfortunately it's too cumbersome (and manual) plus I have 20+ devices - so, running out of the 32 device limit of the MAC address filter. Is there any way to run the TL-WA850RE in the universal mode? Else, I will probably return this and get one that supports a much simplers mode :( 

Thanks for you help - appreciate that.

Options
2019-10-30 01:47:27

@KRay 

Thanks for your reply.

While sorry to tell you that the TL-WA850RE supports proxy mode only; there is no option to change it back to universal mode.

You can return it and get another one which can satisfy your needs much easier. 

Wish you have a nice day. 

Options
2019-11-06 07:30:31

@Kevin_Z 

Hey quick question - which models of range extenders support all the 3 operation modes? Mainly - which models support the Universal mode? 

Any help will be very helpful - because can't find that anywhere in the spec sheets.

thanks again,

Kanchan

Options
2020-10-17 13:41:20

@KRay Hi, I have the same problem, saw this thread, but did not come out.

I have the WA854RE

I am not sure what mode it is using, yet

- MAC address of device is what appears in the router

- MAC address of devices that connect via the Range Extender to the network have exactly the same MAC address on the router as on the extender as given by the device.

When switching on the Whitelist Mode on the router I cannot connect to the range extender anymore

The MAC address in the Whitelist is exactly the same as the MAC address that I use for static IPs. When whitelist is disabled, IP address is correctly assigned.

To me it appears that the MAC address of the range extender is not accepted by the router, but I cannot imagine why.

Any thoughts

Kind regards

Micha   

Options
Re:Range extender with Access Control in the router-Solution
2020-10-19 03:18:45 - last edited 2020-10-19 03:19:18

@MichaKleine 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

May I know the model number of your home router?

Since TL-WA854RE is using the proxy mode with virtual MAC address, have you seen the following instruction before:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2019/

Thanks a lot.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3268

Replies: 11

Related Articles