TL-WN823N + 8192eu.ko driver on Kali Linux

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-26 06:46:23 - last edited 2019-12-31 18:54:02
Model: TL-WN823N  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 8192eu

Good day, 

After extensive searching online I am coming to the TP-Link forums in hopes that someone can actually give some sound advice. 

I am running Kali Linux with the latest kernel and trying to use the TL_WN823N wifi dongle for work. 

So far I have followed the guide from TP-Link together with other commands and after quite a struggle I got the drivers loaded.

When using command: lsusb the drivers show up as 9182eu

After following the installation guide that came with the dongle (make clean > make > ifconfig wlan0 up etc etc etc....) the dongle started working half-arsedly. The LED does not glow at all so it is impossible to determine wether it is on or not and the only way to know for sure is to follow the iwconfig/ifconfig commands to see if it's up or down. 

This was all great and well as the dongle was working and I could resume my work. 

After I rebooted the system the dongle immediately siezed to work again and just throws out a network activation error everytime I try to connect to my wifi.

So far I have tried uninstalling the 9182eu driver and reinstalling it which did not work. I've tried to just switch the dongle of an on with ifconfig wlan0 down/up, this also did not work. 

Additionally: 

gcc is on the latest version

headers is on the latest version

The only conclusion I can think of is that:

1.) 9182eu is not the correct driver for this dongle.

2.) TP-Link TL-WN823N does not support Kali linux

if it is 2.) I demand a refund as the packaging clearly states support for linux and so far this product has been dissapointing to say the least.

Sidenote: 

Driver used in the installation is from this thread: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/94113

Direct link: https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver 

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-WN823N + 8192eu.ko driver on Kali Linux
2020-06-12 22:11:45 - last edited 2020-06-12 22:28:41

@Artnet Same situation here with the exact same product but on Archlinux x86_64.

The Linux Kernel has rtl8xxxu

The Linux kernel do have the wrong driver (rtl8xxxu) built-in, which kind of works for the time being, but there are some caveats with rtl8xxxu:

1. Makes the signal very very weak
2. Makes the adapter very hot

3. Invalid Misc > 0 (check with `iwconfig`)

Solution
Mange's 8192eu driver worked for me though (Kernel 5.7.2)!

Here's the archlinux thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256527

---------------

Hope this helps. But I lost trust to tp-link. These dongles are so expensive! Yet they didn't provide any support to you, this thread has no response! There are surely many people with the exact same problem. You see they provide driver for Windows, but not for Linux!

I think that tp-link don't test their products throughly. And I am sad to see no response for a long time on your thread. They probably don't care!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5495

Replies: 1

Related Articles