Disable DECO DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Disable DECO DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Disable DECO DHCP
Disable DECO DHCP
2020-01-06 17:20:10 - last edited 2021-11-26 06:49:43
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 20190821 Rel.54023

Hello there.  Is there a way to disable the DHCP on the Deco M9?  Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
[Solution] Disable DECO DHCP on Access point mode-Solution
2021-05-17 02:59:43 - last edited 2021-11-26 06:49:33
Recommended Solution
Options
23 Reply
Re:Disable DECO DHCP
2020-01-07 01:50:21 - last edited 2021-11-26 06:45:27

@Enkii 

Hello, there is no way to disable DHCP server now, while you can switch Deco to access point mode, then other router in the same network will act as the DHCP server. 

And we have noted this feature and will forward it to our product department.

May it help.

Options
2020-03-30 04:11:54

@Kevin_Z 

+1 to this capability. I JUST bought one of these. set it up only 20 minutes ago, looking for the option to disable DHCP server, and now I find I cannot actually so that.

Options
2020-05-24 04:09:58

@Kevin_Z 

Back in the box it goes and returning to Amazon. I can't believe that not only can you not disable DHCP on this device, you can't scope it down to less that 20 IPs.

Options
2020-08-17 07:39:45

@Enkii 

+1 for this feature. Even if I persist with the DECO DHCP server I cannot do address reservation for specific addresses, it defaults to reserving the address that has already been issued by the server. I want to decide what address to use for a particular mac address. eg. smart lights that are controlled via existing scripts that reference an IP address. You shouldn't have to change your whole environment to implement this router. My exiting linux DHCP server provdes all the functionality I need. 

Options
2020-08-18 06:11:30

@gavin_e 

Hello,

If there is already a DHCP server in your network, you may simply change the Deco to AP mode and the DHCP server on it should be disabled by default.

BTW, the feature to enable/disable the DHCP server on Deco units has been forwarded to our developers, they will work on it and evaluate the feasibility, but the estimated supporting time is still unsure. You can keep an eye on Deco APP or the official website for more updates. 

Thanks for your kindly understanding and support in advance.

Options
2020-08-19 02:41:26

@TP-Link_Deco 

Unfortunately going to AP mode is not an option for me. I purchased the DECO as a wifi Mesh "Router" to replace a legacy router and give me better wifi coverage. Going to AP mode cripples all the router functionality and precludes the use of an isolates wifi guest mode/vlan, you also would be giving up any control of your wifi traffic. In my case would also have to purchase an additional router. The DECO is a great idea being crippled by overly restrictive firmware eg., no disable DHCP poor DHCP reservation options, locked in DNS to tplink, locked in DDNS options to tplink and lack of a decent webui for router management.  Options that have been available on just about every router I have used for may years. I look forward to seeing what your firmware developers can do to address these issues. But I certainly could not recommend this product to anyone who wants to upgrade their exisitng environment.

Options
2020-10-13 14:53:43

@Kevin_Z This is a terrible answer.  Going into AP mode disables parental controls, QoS and completely defeats the purpose of a mesh system.  Why can't I disable this or at least shrink the pool to one address?  This answer has absolutely halted the purchase I had in my cart. Can't buy a device I have to strip features of in order to work with my existing system.

Options
2020-12-30 23:11:24

@Kevin_Z 

Will TP Link send an email when they change this?  I'm extremely surprised with the Deco M9 +  Smart Mesh WiFi that advanced settings customization is not standard.  I too just recently purchased 3 Deco M9 +  Smart Mesh WiFi to help with WIFI coverage in our home.  I was excited to get the Deco mesh router setup with parental controls, antivirus, zigbee, and other enticing features.  With multiple network devices and my growing technical knowledge I was planning on using the Deco router as the main router in our home to take advantage of the Deco features and use another DHCP server to maximize and customize the DHCP reservations on the network.  I should have researched more before purchasing.  I just never imagined that TP-Link would not have advanced setting customization options on router such as the Deco M9+ where other more basic routers come standard with advanced settings customization options. 

Options
2021-01-16 09:40:00

+1 I want to run a PXE server and deco is blocking DHCP proxy broadcast

+1 I want to run cisco PBX service and cant do this 

Ability to override DHCP or add options would be useful

Options
2021-02-27 04:10:11

@jbrown 

I had planned on removing Google Mesh, which has the same issue, cannot disable DHCP.  Unpack and pulled Google out to find out..... I have the same issue.  It has been up for 3 hours.  As soon as I finish this review, it is being removed and returned to the store.  WTF, who in the hell thought removing DHCP configuration was a good idea?  How many years have we had configurable DHCP on routers and AP's?

Regardless, out it goes and I will find something else.  I would have never thought I needed to check DHCP when purchasing Routers and Access Points.

I AM A VERY UNHAPPY USED TO BE CUSTOMER.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 10

Views: 26757

Replies: 23

Related Articles