Degradation of external internet bandwidth in large houses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-05 16:57:42
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I have 40mbs internet bandwidth (speedtest) available through my net gear router. When i plug into the TP expansion plugs the bandwidth available reduces proportionally to the inter plug bandwidth. For instance; an expansion plug close to the primary plug will show 200mbs on the data rate page and that plug will get 35mbs of internet bandwidth from the router (Speedtest). An expansion plug far away from the primary plug will show 50mbs on the data rate page and that plug will get 8mbs of internet bandwidth (speedtest). I am surprised at this degradation given the data rate between the plugs is always over 50mbs. Could it be that the “interference” that causes the TP inter plug degradation also causes internet degradation ?

Any views on a fix ?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Degradation of external internet bandwidth in large houses
2020-02-12 08:19:08

@MWP 

What is the model number of your powerline adapters?

For your information, the powerline link rate displaying on the utility is not the actual speed, while it can affect the actual speed. Theoretically, the actual speed is about 30-40% of the powerline link rate, and combined with the powerline interference, obstacles, the actual speed may be slower.

We will do some troubleshooting first.

Try to change another socket to plug them; and try to move them into the same room and test the speed you can get.

Please ensure that the firmware of the powerline adapters is up to date.

Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 443

Replies: 1