Archer C6 in AP mode dropping LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-21 09:59:58
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 build 20200110 (latest)

I am using the C6 as an AP only, and it is set in AP rather than router mode.  The C6 is connected to a 16 port Gigabit switch and then to my DSL router (TD-W9970).  The C6 has DHCP turned off, the W9970 manages DHCP for all devices.  The W9970 is set to be 192.168.1.1 and the C6 is a fixed IP of 192.168.1.251 (outside the DHCP range of the W9970 but in the same subnet).

Initially I followed the TP-Link instructions to connect to the network using the WAN port but eventually realised that was incorrect.  I have now connected one of the C6 LAN ports to the switch.  This setup appears to work well until after a period of hours or sometimes a few days the C6 appears to stop communicating on the LAN port and the C6 needs to be rebooted.  The switch registers that something is connected on that port but that there is no data.  I have checked the cables and also changed the port on the switch but this still happens, so it looks like a problem in the C6.  It also looks like a more fundamental issue with TP-Link software because I have just returned a WR841N to Amazon for exactly the same reason.

I have seen other references in this community to LAN ports not working but have not been able to find any solutions.

If I can't sort this in the next 2 days it looks like the C6 is going back to Amazon and I will try a different manufacturer.  It's a shame as the WiFi performance is very good, but an AP that drops the network is worse than useless

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C6 in AP mode dropping LAN
2020-11-05 13:19:21

I was very disappointed that no one ever responded to this post.  The unit appeared to settle down for a while but it is now doing the same after I loaded the latest firmware.  I can see a number of similar threads regarding C6 dropping the internet with thousands of views so this is clearly a common problem.  I have noticed that there is never a solution posted by tp-link so it is clearly a problem they know about and are ignoring.

Having swapped out various items over the last few months I am now fairly convinced that the problem lies with the routing software, and that for some reason the internal router gets locked up, and the unit has to be re-booted.

I only bought the C6 because my main internet connection has been provided by a W9970 which has been absolutely rock solid.  It never gets locked up and never has any issues.  As others have commented, it looks like tp-link have lost the plot on router software. 

Options
2020-11-06 08:45:15

@Ian_M 

Hello, apologies for the super late reply as we didn't have a chance to pick up this topic.

Can I confirm some basic info then we will try to figure it out?

1. Are there any other devices connected to the gigabit switch at the same time and are they always stable? 

2. When the C6 get disconnected from the switch, how about that LAN LED, is it still on? Can the devices connected to the C6 network still obtain an IP address, what is it? Can you ping the gateway 192.168.1.1?

3. As you have already tried, we hope you could try different cat5e and cat6 cable between the switch and the C6 LAN. BTW, may I know the model number of the gigabit switch?

4. What if you connect the C6 directly to the W9970 bypass the gigabit switch, will it be stable? We hope you could give it a shot and let us know the result.

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-11-06 23:42:43

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the response

To simplify testing I have moved the C6 closer to the W9970 and connected the C6 WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the W9970 so there is no other equipment involved. So this is different to the situation I had previously where I was connecting using a LAN port on the C6 rather than the WAN, but in the past I changed to a LAN connection because of this problem - the wifi (mainly 2.4G) disappearing.  After a few hours the C6 has already started misbehaving.  The main problem is the 2.4G WiFi keeps disappearing, and when it reappears I can't connect to it.  The 5G is still available and when I connect on that I still have internet access. 

1. The Gigabit switch no longer relevant but in the past it was working fine and anything wired through the switch or by WiFi to the W9970 worked fine, the problem was only wireless devices connected through the C6

2. At the moment I haven't lost the internet connection only the 2.4G wifi, so I will do more testing tomorrow

3. I have made up and tested a new cat 5e cable for this new setup and the WAN light is showing green, but I do have a connection so that is correct.

4. As stated above I have reconfigured the setup so that the C6 is directly wired up to the W9970 and within a few hours the 2.4G Wifi has stopped working.  My previous experience is that the C6 will need to be rebooted to get the 2.4G working again but I will leave it like this overnight to see if it recovers by the morning.

My next test tomorrow will be connecting a C6 LAN port, rater than WAN, to the W9970

Options
2020-11-09 02:13:23

@Ian_M 

Thank you very much for all of your tests, please let us know the results and we will take further steps.

Options
2020-11-09 11:06:51

@Ian_M 

The C6 stopped working briefly on Sunday.  I was unable to connect to the 2.4G wifi and when I connected to the 5G the client reported "no internet" (the device had a bad IP address - I assume this was because it had lost connection to the DHCP server in the W9970).  Turning the wifi client off and back on cleared the problem, the C6 did not need to be rebooted and none of the lights or status on the web interface changed.

The configuration is still C6 WAN port connected to the W9970 LAN but following this last problem I set the 2.4G to Ch 11 and 20MHz bandwidth. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1319

Replies: 5

Related Articles