Tether app reports router password incorrect when it is not.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tether app reports router password incorrect when it is not.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
43 Reply
Re:Tether app reports router password incorrect when it is not.
2020-05-27 06:24:34

@TPuser333 I tested with both iPhone and Android, and more than one device. I even set the password to be '1' no way to type that in incorrectly... but... no change.

Options
2020-05-27 11:13:39

@js001 

I contacted tp-link suppport via email.

will update ..

Options
2020-06-04 12:35:49 - last edited 2020-06-04 12:41:41

@smounche Hi! Click on the "+" icon up in the right corner, then follow instructions, and enter your router user & password and you're in.

I had the same confusing issue as Tether asks for your other userdata to be entered...

So: Login to the app, then click +, look again (yes, again) for your device, and you'll know you're doing things fine when you can see the mac address on the device detected! 

Then, login to it as when you do it from the browser (not the mail and password from the app itself) , and that's it. 

I was able to do it 10 mins ago, so it works, just the app makes it confusing...

Options
2020-06-04 12:58:38

@Ver0nica Thank you, but for me it didn't change anything. I am still unable to logon to my router through the tether app. I also tried clearing all data for the app, setting it up afresh and setting the password to '1' (now reset to something vastly more secure)

Options
2020-06-10 10:34:49

@js001  @Dave__S  @smounche  @TPuser333 

Hi all, please help verify the below detail and we will soon check if there is an issue with the Tether app:

1. What is the version of the Tether app? Verify it on Settings-About, and show us a screenshot.

2. Is the TP-Link device linked to a TP-Link ID or account on the Tether APP? Kindly show us a screenshot of the Tether Home page.

3. Make certain the username and password of your TP-Link device are 100% correct, avoid typing any space if there is not.

4. If possible, try to reset the device and set up a new password for the login, then log in via the Tether directly instead of login from the web.

Options
2020-06-10 11:10:08

@Solla-topee I've attached the two screenshots requested.

The Router I have does not require a username, only a password. I have set the password to a value of '1' (single digit only) and get the same error.

I have cleared the cache, cleared the data, uninstalled and reinstalled the Tether application, and the situation remains the same. I have installed tether on two other devices, and I get the same issue on both of those also. Two Android (6 and 8) and IOS 13.

No matter what password I set on the router, I am able to access it from any device directly via a web browser (which, whilst it works, is unreadable on a phone).

Options
2020-06-11 02:04:15

@js001 

Thanks very much for the detail.

We've tested with VR400 V2 and we confirm there is no issue when logging into its web management via the Tether app. I'm afraid you'd better reset the device to its factory and set up the login password again for a try.

Options
2020-06-11 09:48:44

@Solla-topee Ok, does that mean, that as mine is a V1 you can do nothing?

Options
2020-06-14 14:08:25

@js001 

I had the same problem following the recent firmware update. I had deleted/reloaded Tether multiple times, to no avail.

In my case, what did work today was to do a factory reset of router (I also deleted/reloaded Tether from iphone one more time today, just to be sure).  Like you, I really wanted to avoid the reset, but in my case it did work; using admin PW, Tether is once again able to successfully log in to the router (mine is Archer A9, AC1900).

Good luck!

Options
2020-06-14 14:15:56

@tppatron Ok, thank you. It seems rather poor, that a software update to an app requires a full reset to factory of the router, when the app is the only thing that changed. And, it would also be good to have an explanation from TP, from the support teams, when contacting, as to why this is required.

Options