tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-24 15:40:22 - last edited 2020-08-14 02:03:31
Model: Archer C1200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20180123 (US)

Dear tp-link Support & Engineer:

There are many users reporting tp-link WiFi routers with heat issue along with WiFi reliability. Please investigate the WiFi Transmit Power feature. Perhaps by setting this parameter to high, the router is consuming too much power, causing the router heat issue. The increase in power consumption and heat possibly causes the router and WiFi to be instable, i.e. router reboot and WiFi dropping.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

The below is what I normally posted for users to test, perhaps engineering can perform and observe the power consumption.

Attempt the below, one at a time, to observe the outcome:

• Feel the router, if the router is hot or lots of heat coming out, use a fan to cool the router, regular or USB fan.
  • Set the WiFi Transmit Power to low (if the current setting is set to high), and see if this helps with the reboot.
  • Observe the heat output from the router when Transmit Power is set to low versus setting of high.
  • Turn the WiFi off completely and feel the difference of the heat output and observe router stability.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue-Solution
2020-06-15 07:08:37 - last edited 2020-08-14 02:03:31

@Godzilla 

Hello, thanks very much for paying high attention to the heating issue with the AX routers, please put the router on a well-ventilated stand or give it a fan, and take it easy that there won't be a security issue with it.

Please be assured that we are working on this heating issue and may let the community know if we have updates.

Be more patient and wait for our update, thanks again.

Recommended Solution
Options
29 Reply
Re:tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue
2020-05-25 13:24:28

@Godzilla 

i have archer c6 router with 1.2.1 firmware, not latest buggy one.

every time download speed reaches constant 100 mbps on 5g wifi (providers maximum) it cant last more than 5-10 minutes. 5g network is down and not visible for all devices, 2.4g is still available. after reboot 5g is visible again. it takes ~5 router reboots to download steam game =)))

router is not that warm when this happens, so i dunno if this is overheting issue

on some light activity and short time full speed downloads its pretty stable thou

transmit power low gives noticeable slower speeds and signal strenght so this can be workaround, but ...

i wonder should i return it to shop under warranty and try my luck if they offer exchange it to new piece

Options
2020-05-25 14:44:23

@fnam 

Try a mobile app to analyze the WiFi around you, review all the channels in 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Next, review the channels on the router for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If the channels match that around you, an indication of over crowded. Manually adjust the channels for 2.4GHz and 5GHz to lesser use channel.

There are other tips too from tp-link, below. There are possibly other wireless parameters that need tweaking, such as Power Transmit, narrow or wide band, etc. but starts with the above and below link.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/200588

Options
2020-06-05 03:51:19

@TP-Link 

Any investigation or review of router and heat issue? This might be a serious defect that needs further attention and investigation.

Thank you.

Options
2020-06-14 01:46:10

@TP-Link 

@Solla-topee 

@Kevin_Z

Can someone from tp-link investigate the many reports of heating issue and tp-link products?

Options
Re:tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue-Solution
2020-06-15 07:08:37 - last edited 2020-08-14 02:03:31

@Godzilla 

Hello, thanks very much for paying high attention to the heating issue with the AX routers, please put the router on a well-ventilated stand or give it a fan, and take it easy that there won't be a security issue with it.

Please be assured that we are working on this heating issue and may let the community know if we have updates.

Be more patient and wait for our update, thanks again.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-08-08 12:00:04

@Solla-topee we are 2 months further down the road, any update?  Patience should not be confused with forgetting cheeky

Options
2020-09-28 16:00:28

@Godzilla  @Solla-topee 

I have just bought and have same issue . Can anyone from Tp-link provide us with estimated date for update .

Options
2020-10-12 18:12:10

@Godzilla I have the exact same issue. The router becomes REALLY hot. I'm currently using the TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 router with latest firmware on it.

This is a really SERIOUS issue that could start a fire and from this history I think it has not been properly prioritized

Options
2020-10-13 13:04:17

@Solla-topee Is there any update about this? This thing is gonna start a fire!

Options
2020-11-26 18:07:41 - last edited 2020-12-03 13:47:07

Archer AX50/AX3000 runs extremely HOT, please fix it..

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 22243

Replies: 29