Control smart lights with MS100 and CS100

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-01 03:48:50 - last edited 2020-08-13 08:45:03

Hello,

I have installed in my network and in Kasa app some lights, switches and plugs, along with the SR20 hub/router and one motion sensor MS100 and an open/close sensor CS100.

All of them are original TP Link products; the two sensors came as one package with the SR20 hub.

I have tried so much but I find it impossible to have the sensors controlling the lights with an automation. There is no such option through Kasa App. In the automation page, it asks for a Kasa cam to be installed first.

It seems that the sensors are not doing what they are advertised to do; they even don't send notifications of movement or for opening. You have to enter to the app to see if there is no movement.

Can you advise?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Control smart lights with MS100 and CS100-Solution
2020-06-01 09:31:48 - last edited 2020-08-13 08:45:03

@Michalis 

The Smart Actions for the SR20 has been moved to the device settings section on the new Kasa APP (Kasa -> Select SR20 from the home list -> Select Device Settings from device details screen -> Then you should see the option for 'Smart Actions'). Check again if you can configure the smart action with the MS100 and CS100.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Control smart lights with MS100 and CS100-Solution
2020-06-01 09:31:48 - last edited 2020-08-13 08:45:03

@Michalis 

The Smart Actions for the SR20 has been moved to the device settings section on the new Kasa APP (Kasa -> Select SR20 from the home list -> Select Device Settings from device details screen -> Then you should see the option for 'Smart Actions'). Check again if you can configure the smart action with the MS100 and CS100.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Control smart lights with MS100 and CS100
2020-11-22 12:36:11

@Solla-topee 

Dear,

I am catching up the subject again, about a year after.

Thank you for the reply, you are indeed correct; I have found the section in the SR20 modem interface for setting up smart actions with the sensors. I have set up two of them, one with a smart light (LB120 from TP-Link) and one from a smart plug (HS110 from TP-Link again). None of them seem to work. The sensor indeed senses motion and I can see the small blue light on the MS100 working when I pass from it's area of coverage. It also records the motion in the SR20 page, which is a good thing. But there is no way that I can get it to control any of the TP-Link products that I have and I have searched the net quite a lot on the subject.

I know that the sensors part is a little bit "underdeveloped" let's say by TP-Link, but it is a pity though, since the system could make wonders if it worked as it it should.

Any kind of advice on the subject would be much appreciated. Especially if someone else has been experiencing the same issue and has worked through it.

Options
2021-11-27 21:45:09

@Solla-topee 

I have the same issue! Just bought a couple of MS100. They won't work as I expect it to work.

Steps to reproduce:

1. I've connected the MS100 to my SR20 successfully - it appears in both my kasa app and on the screen of SR20.

2. Set up a "Smart Action" that would turn one of my kasa light bulb (already set up and working as expected) ON using my kasa app going through SR20 > Preferences > Smart Actions > "+" - The smart action was added successfully as I see the smart action in the list of smart actions.

3. When I trigger the MS100 motion (I see the event in the app) light bulb won't turn ON as I've set it up.

I would expect the light bulb to turn on when MS100 senses motion as I set it up.

I tried with different light bulbs and kasa smart switch. Same result

What am I doing wrong?

Options
2021-11-27 21:45:59

I have the same issue. Did you manage to make it work?

Options
2021-11-27 23:56:11

@LILBOYX 

Hello. Nothing still. The smart actions won't work. I even had a fibaro motion sensor but it does not trigger any action. Despite it is in the list of compatible devices, it is partially recognized (recognized as an open/close sensor and the functions of temperature and light sensor are not available) and none of the smart action work.

Of course, the MS100 and CS100 still not triggering any action. They can send an alert for movement but still nothing on the action part.

TP-Link seems to have completely abandoned the part of the smart actions from sensors, which is a pity.. I have a camera and I can trigger a motion sensor from there (not from the router menu but from kasa cam). Very frustrating....

Options
2021-11-29 14:44:24
That's really frustrating. I've bought a quite expensive SR20 router just to be able to use the motion sensors in my house. The sensors not working as expected renders the router completely useless for me. If there's no solution I will have to return the SR20 and all the motion sensors I've ordered :/
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2169

Replies: 6

Related Articles