Deco X20 and M4R(EU) not working together anymore

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-25 13:48:47
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 build 20200709 rel 49821

I have a setup with two different models of deco: X20 (main deco + two satellites with backhaul) and two M4R (EU) satellite slaves one with backhaul and one through MESH. I have used this setup since June, 2020 without any problems. Now, when finally updating the new firmware for X20 and TRIED to update the new firmware for M4R, the M4R decos are constantly dropping out of the network. They may stay in the network like 2 mns and drop out for 10-20 mns. I tried to update the firmware for M4R (1.4.2 build 20200727 rel. 37987), but it did not go through, even if I received after udgrade a notice that they are up to date. When opening deco app again, it showed they must be updated and suggested the same firmware which I already installed. I tried many times without success and finally tried through download center using browser, just to see that there is not the same version of firmware available... (see above).

So, I had to delete these two M4Rs out of the system, because they are not working and causing problems for other devices.

Any advice what to do? This really is happening after the firmware updates, nothing before that.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X20 and M4R(EU) not working together anymore
2020-08-27 01:59:48

@Nateliini 

Hello,

If I don't understand wrong, your network layout was like below when the two M4R was plugged in:

modem-->main X20 (router)-->2nd X20-->3rd X20-->1st M4R)))(((2nd M4R

Are the three X20 stable, while the two M4R keeps disconnecting from the network after the firmware updated, right? Can you please confirm again if the current firmware of the 2 M4R is the latest 1.4.2 build 20200727 rel. 37987 on your Deco app? If yes, this is the latest firmware. The reason why is always popping up a new firmware is available is that one of the two may fail to update to this latest version.

When the 2 M4Rs lose the connection, are the LEDs on them blinking red? Are all the X20 and M4R on the same floor or they are on different floors? Even the first M4R is connected to the 3rd X20 with an Ethernet cable, did it still lose the connection? Have you tried to change another cat4e or cat6 Ethernet cable?

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-27 07:09:12

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks.

The layout you described is correct, below detailed connections showing also the connection types (cable/mesh)

Modem--Deco X20 (Main deco, cable)--Switch (cable)-- two X20s' (cables, from switch)--one M4R (cable from switch) and one M4R without cable (mesh, source location is one of the X20s')

The three X20 are stable now when M4R are disconnected from the network, before that one of them was not stable (the X20 which was the source for one M4R (Mesh connection). That X20 lost connection occasionally. After disconnection of both M4Rs', also this X20 has been stable.

When the M4Rs' lost the connection,  one of the  X20s' (source for one M4R, mesh) was showing stable red light (I am not sure what the M4Rs' were showing).

X20s' are all located in different floors, but connected with ethernet cables as described above. One of the M4R is located at the same floor with one X20 (which was also losing the connection). This X20 was the source for one M4R. The other M4R is connected through ethernet cable from the switch. This one also lost the connection even if it is connected through cable.

I have tried different cables, I also tried to connect both M4R through the cables, but it did not help. I resetted both M4Rs' and tried to download the firmware upgrade from using web browser. What was interesting, is that on the web site of tp link, the version of upgrade showed: Deco M4(EU)_V2_200628 (published date: 2020-07-21) while the app showed version 1.4.2 Build 20200727 Rel. 37987. Are these two the same?

Options
2020-08-27 10:04:03

@Nateliini 

Hi, actually, your current firmware is newer than the one you downloaded from the official website, we will soon check and update the firmware on the website.

Please try to connect the two M4R back into the network and confirm what is the LED status when they lose the connection. 

Meanwhile, confirm how the M4R connected to the network, you may check it like below:

On the Deco app, click on the Internet icon, then click on the two M4R, and you will see the signal source. If there is a Wi-Fi icon on the signal source, it means the M4R is using the Wi-Fi backhaul. If there is an Ethernet icon, it means it is using Ethernet backhaul. 

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-08-27 11:14:10

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

I tried again today and got a bunch of problems. Philips Hue lights and bridges were messed totally up and all the lights and devices were unreachable...

I was able to check a couple of things, however. The light of M4R when temporarily unconnected stayed solid white, even if they were not connected according to deco application. I first tried it as a mesh device and the app showed correctly signal source to main deco and wifi 2.4/5. Then I connected it to cable and it changed to cable (ethernet) connection according to app. In both setups the problem stayed, it was disconnected several times during the test and meanwhile messed up the Hue as mentioned above. I decided to disconnect M4R because it is not working properly.

Options
2020-09-02 02:46:46

@Nateliini 

Hi, thanks a lot for all the efforts you have spent on this issue, we will escalate your case to the engineers who will help analyze further and help you out.

Please check your email box and respond.

Good days.

Options