Deco M4 slow wifi speed!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M4 slow wifi speed!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M4 slow wifi speed!
Deco M4 slow wifi speed!
2020-10-18 12:47:09
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.3

Hi there!

I am new on this forum, but after having read a lot and tried a lot, I would like to ask my question here.

Recently, I purchased a TP Link Deco M4 set woth 3 Decos. I closely followed the manual and other information I found online and on this forum.

When connected to the Decos over Wifi, I only have download speeds of around 20-30 Mbps, sometimes even lower. The maximum speed of my ISP subscription is 500 Mbps. The speeds are always this low, regardless of the device I use, regardless where I stand in the building. Even when I am standing right next to one of the Decos.

I have connected all my three Decos via an UTP cable as follows:

Modem --> Deco 1 --> Deco 2 --> Deco 3.

All Decos are in Access Point mode, like the manual says.

The Decos are placed on different levels in the building, but the UTP cables in between are always short (max. 2 meters). I use brand new UTP cables, CAT5E.

Firmware of the Decos 100% up to date according to the app. I have reset the modem already couple of times, also I have rebooted the Decos a couple of times already. Nothing seems to work to increase the download speed.

When I connect my laptop directly to the modem with an UTP cable, I reach 500 Mbps download speed. The modem does not seem to be the problem. I do the speedtests with the Ookla Speedtest app or website. 5 GHz is turned on, 2.4 GHz as well. Who can help?

P.S.: my entire building is equipped with a UTP network with wall sockets everywhere. Would it help to connect the Decos separately to the UTP sockets in the buildings and place them more strategically throughout the house? Is that possible and allowed in access point mode?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M4 slow wifi speed!
2020-10-18 16:21:29

@RicoBe As for me, you have strange configuration. At least you need to have a router, if you use Decos in access point mode. Another strange thing - connection your Decos one by one. It's possible of course, but I would better connect them by "star" topology.

Options
2020-10-18 17:07:39

@RedRoger thanks for your message!

The modem supplied by my ISP is a modem and router in one. So the modem normally also supplies the wifi signal. This wifi signal is now turned off as the Deco would take over the wifi functionality completely. The ISP advises to connect all Decos in series (like I did now) and putting all Decos in access point mode. That is exactly the current situation.

What do you mean with star configuration? Does that mean that every Deco is connected with a cable directly on the modem/router?

So:

Modem/router --> Deco 1

Modem/router --> Deco 2

Modem/router --> Deco 3

Which operation mode on the Deco should I use in this set-up? Router mode or access point mode?

Options
2020-10-18 17:22:35

@RicoBe yes, exactly, this connection is much better as for me. The only one Deco, that your any device is connected to, and the router are in use. In your current configuration all your network is being used by every device ... So, if you have router, you may leave your Decos in AP mode

Options
2020-10-19 05:07:38

RicoBe wrote

@RedRoger thanks for your message!

The modem supplied by my ISP is a modem and router in one. So the modem normally also supplies the wifi signal. This wifi signal is now turned off as the Deco would take over the wifi functionality completely. The ISP advises to connect all Decos in series (like I did now) and putting all Decos in access point mode. That is exactly the current situation.

What do you mean with star configuration? Does that mean that every Deco is connected with a cable directly on the modem/router?

So:

Modem/router --> Deco 1

Modem/router --> Deco 2

Modem/router --> Deco 3

Which operation mode on the Deco should I use in this set-up? Router mode or access point mode?

@RicoBe 

Have you solved the problem cause I have the same issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2744

Replies: 4

Related Articles