TD-W8961N(EU) WiFi connectivity issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-24 09:47:38
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 170919 Rel.21648

Greetings,

I bought the TD-W8961N about 2 months ago. 

In the last few weeks I have problems with my WiFi connectivity which appears to be very unstable. Steps I followed:

1. I checked the wired connections and they are all work fine (this is the indication that the problem is not on the external line but on the WiFi).
  2. I switched to channel 6, which appears to be the channel that no other neighborhood device is using (I wanted to chose a channel from 1, 6 and 11 - the channels that are usually advised to be used).
  3. I followed the instructions in this page https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/722/ (the last change I did today -according to those instructions- was to change the Bandwidth from "auto" to "20 MHz").
  4. There is no new FW version available (as I last checked at https://www.tp-link.com/gr/support/download/td-w8961n/v4/)

It seems though that the problem persists: it starts with a good connection but after some time it starts to show delays in the connectivity.

So, I started monitoring the "Tx Errors Count" in the Statistics (WLAN) tab and it appears that these errors are "piling up" as time passes.

For example, it starts from a "Tx Errors Count" of about 4% and after a couple of hours it reaches 20%, while at the end of the day it might go up to 30 or even 40%.

(The percentage I provide is calculated by dividing the "Tx Errors Count" by the "Tx Frames Count" values).

The modem is placed at a spot where no interference with other devices (microwaves, TVs, etc) exist.

Have you experienced such a problem before?

Do you have any idea or suggestion on what I could do next or how to check if there is a problem with my modem?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Options
4 Reply
Re:TD-W8961N(EU) WiFi connectivity issues
2020-12-02 08:39:04

@Dimtrs 

Hello, thanks for the detailed issue description.

Please kindly provide us with the following information, and we will see how to fix it:

1. How often does the disconnect issue happen? Does it happen on all wireless clients or some special devices? How did you recover the connection?

2. Who is your ISP and how about the lights' status on the modem when the connection drops?
3. How many end-devices like our PC, laptop or mobile phone are connected to the modem, wired and wirelessly? Do they drop at the same time? 
4. Are there any heavy traffic applications when the network drops, such as downloading videos or playing games?

5. Have you tried to reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm?

Options
2020-12-02 10:07:33

@Kevin_Z thanks for your response.

Below the answer to you questions:

1. How often does the disconnect issue happen? Does it happen on all wireless clients or some special devices? How did you recover the connection?

It's totally sporadic and only on the wireless clients. I do not do anything special to "recover" the connection: the connection is established just after a couple of seconds and without me doing anything.

2. Who is your ISP and how about the lights' status on the modem when the connection drops?

My provider is Forthnet (Greece) and the wifi light is always blinking (I do not see any difference in the lights when these short drops happen).

The same also for the "lan" connections: the light is always blinking. 

3. How many end-devices like our PC, laptop or mobile phone are connected to the modem, wired and wirelessly? Do they drop at the same time? 

In total there are about 15 devices registered and usually around 10 are connected at the same time. Out of these 10 devices, 3 devices are connected via wire, the rest are wireless. When these drops happen it impacts all the wireless clients and none of the wired.

4. Are there any heavy traffic applications when the network drops, such as downloading videos or playing games?

No, nothing special. Sometimes, even when I try to connect to the modem (192.168.1.1) I get these short drops (which is a connection without any significant traffic).

5. Have you tried to reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm?

Yes, I have done that as well and I have not observed any difference. What I noticed though is that when I reconfigure it from scratch, the PVC04 virtual circuit is used (by default). Since 2 days ago I reconfigured my internet connection to use the PVC0 instead (I think I read somewhere that it might be better to setup the connection to that vc instead of the 4). I did not observe any difference to be honest, but just mentioning it.

Options
2020-12-02 11:43:44

@Dimtrs 

If this is the case, we may have no more suggestions but advise you to contact the local tech support to confirm if they can help with a replacement:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2020-12-02 12:32:50

@Kevin_Z thank you for your time Kevin!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 748

Replies: 4