TP Link Light Switches no Longer connect after Router Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-03 14:16:38 - last edited 2020-12-09 14:04:24
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

I have about about 15 TP link switches in the house and they were all working fine until I decided to update the firmware on my router.  After it rebooted, only about 2 of the switches are able to connect.  

Switches: 2 x HS220 , 1 X HS210, 12 HS200

Router: Netgear Orbi rbk50

I purchased them over the last couple of years (so the versions are V2-V3) and just installed 2 HS200 yesterday. After the router reboot, a lot of the switches are blinking green, I tried restart the switch then do  a factory reset.  The HS200 go orange and green then I re-add them, it gets to the part where it allows me to choose the wifi network then it attemps to add it and within 5 seconds the wifi light on the switch blinks green.

Everything was working fine until last night then at 10pm I decided to do a firmware update on the router which messed things up.  My other devices re-connected fine but it's just my tp-link stuff that's giving me issues.  I just removed one of the switches from my kasa app this morning and will try adding it when I get home.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP Link Light Switches no Longer connect after Router Update-Solution
2020-12-09 14:03:34 - last edited 2020-12-09 14:04:24

@TopGD Hi, everything is working now, I discovered it was my router's firmware.  I had to downgrade the firmware to version 2.3.5 (stable version) and everything recognized again.  The issue was I upgraded the satellite firmware to match the latest version and it messed everything up.  The router firmware was already at the latest version.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP Link Light Switches no Longer connect after Router Update
2020-12-09 11:46:19

@TopGD 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Is everything going on all right now?

If not, please refer to the following suggestions:

1. turn off the firewall on the Netgear router

2. change the DNS on the router to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4;

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:TP Link Light Switches no Longer connect after Router Update-Solution
2020-12-09 14:03:34 - last edited 2020-12-09 14:04:24

@TopGD Hi, everything is working now, I discovered it was my router's firmware.  I had to downgrade the firmware to version 2.3.5 (stable version) and everything recognized again.  The issue was I upgraded the satellite firmware to match the latest version and it messed everything up.  The router firmware was already at the latest version.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TP Link Light Switches no Longer connect after Router Update
2021-08-18 16:30:56

Just an updates as it happened again.

The firmware updated overnight to version 2.7 and it once again knocked out all most of my devices.  I had to downgrade the satellite firmware to 2.3.5 then the router firmware to 2.3.5.  I normally have about 60+ devices connected to my router but it was only showing about 40 or so, many of the devices that didn't show up were the kasa light switches.

After I did this, I had to go into Wireless->Basic->Security Options->toggle from wpa-psk to None then hit apply.  After doing this, I turned on wpa-psk and hit apply and suddenly all my devices came back online, all 60+.  I was going crazy trying to figure out why all my devices didn't connect after downgrading to 2.3.5 for both the router and satellite, hope this helps someone.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1004

Replies: 3