Deco M4 3 Pack - slow speed (another thread!)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-06 20:34:44 - last edited 2021-01-06 20:52:46
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi guys,

First post in this community - I have read many threads on this topic but they all seem to be quite specific. I hope I haven't caused too many sighs posting on this topic again!

I am in the UK, using the latest Virgin Media 'Hub 3.0' router/modem with WiFi disabled and DHCP enabled. It's in router mode, not in modem mode as I have other devices plugged into it. I'd prefer to keep it that way.

I have connected the three Deco M4s I received in the pack as per the instructions. I have put that in router mode rather than AP mode as I'd prefer the Deco's to do DHCP for all my wireless devices around the house.

It seems to have worked and I have wifi throughout the house and all my devices have connected to the new network without any problems.

The thing is, it's much slower than the network that it replaced (2x ASUS wifi routers connected together via Ethernet and spaced around the house with one in AP mode).

I'm also getting pings around 5-10ms whereas I was getting 3-4ms with my last network. Additionally, I am also getting occassional high pings (200ms+).

I have a 500Mbps connection and it usually pulls around 450-550Mbps (down) and 50Mbp/s (up) from a wired connection directly to the router.

I have done a bunch of testing throughout the house and I'm getting around 20-30Mbps on a bunch of different devices.

Sitting 6ft away from the 'master' Deco M4 (which is connected via Ethernet to my router) the maximum I get is 60Mbps from my wifi devices.

One device I am testing on is a Samsung S20+ which I am sure can transfer more data than that.

My laptop has a Realtek 8822CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac and is reporting that it's capable of transferring data at 866.7Mbps. It can also only transfer at ~60Mbps. (Windows 10 and the laptop is 8 months old, if it helps).

As well as slow speeds, my laptop and other devices don't seem to 'seamlessly roam'  at all. In fact, my laptop will cling to the first node with all it's life (even to the point where I have almost zero wifi and basically no connection at all) and a minute later it'll update and change to full bars, obviously connecting to the new node right next to me. Literally a minute. Most of the time it's just easier to disable wifi and renable. But hardly seamless. It's the same with my Samsung device, but a little bit faster.

I'm using speedtest.net to do my testing - which again, shows 500Mbps+ from a wired connection.

In summary, either I've set this up incorrectly, or it's definitely NOT doing what it's supposed to be doing! Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Many thanks,

Jonny

Edit: Seems that all the M4 nodes operate on the same channel - no idea why, doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M4 3 Pack - slow speed (another thread!)
2021-01-07 12:56:19 - last edited 2021-01-07 13:03:18

@JonnyT 

If you would like to know more about device roaming between mesh nodes, here is TP-Link article Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System on that topic.

I would also suggest googling for "WiFi roaming" and "WiFi roaming aggressiveness" - you'll find very useful info on that topic. Long story short: even if you have mesh system, your client (device) might need configuration settings tweaking to better utilize it. That is applicable to any mesh system.

For your laptop, check what WiFi roaming aggressiveness tuning recommendations there are for Realtek 8822CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac.

When it comes to network speed, I am sure M4 can do better than what you experience. I am easily getting 300-350Mbps, my max Internet speed, with M5. Deco M5 is hardware specs equivalent to M4. 

If you'd like to troubleshoot Deco network speed, here are suggestions than may help to figure where the problem is or how to improve Deco mesh network performance. They will include configuration changes on your mesh system, you can roll those back after you are done with testing.

Suggested steps:

1. Configure your Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. 

That will eliminate all Deco router overhead and remove potential throttling configuration settings. You'll see how Deco mesh performs when it is not much more than set of range extenders.

2. Disable 2.4GHz on Deco WiFi Main network.

Not sure why, but I am getting suboptimal network speed when my Android 9 smartphone runs on 2.4GHz with Deco mesh. Under 100Mbps with 2.4GHz, over 300Mbps with 5GHz.

Also, running mobile devices on 5GHz only will improve their mesh roaming capabilities.

3. Run "Test Internet Speed" from Deco app.

This will run speedtest from inside Main Deco to the Internet. If there is some bottleneck, such as Deco only negotiated 100Mbps Ethernet connection with ISP router, you'll see it there. 

Whatever speeds you'll be getting from that test is obviously maximum you can get from running speedtest on wireless device such as Samsung S20+.

After you've tuned your Deco mesh that way, run speedtest from mobile device wirelessly connected to Main Deco, in close proximity to it (6 feet distance, clear view), and see what will you get.

Options
2021-01-07 19:03:04

@Alexandre. 

Amazingly kind of you to respond so quickly. Many thanks.

I have tried the following:

1. Configure your Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. 

That will eliminate all Deco router overhead and remove potential throttling configuration settings. You'll see how Deco mesh performs when it is not much more than set of range extenders.

>> This made no difference to the speed. But I will say that the process to switch from Router Mode to AP Mode was really very simple.

2. Disable 2.4GHz on Deco WiFi Main network.

Not sure why, but I am getting suboptimal network speed when my Android 9 smartphone runs on 2.4GHz with Deco mesh. Under 100Mbps with 2.4GHz, over 300Mbps with 5GHz.

Also, running mobile devices on 5GHz only will improve their mesh roaming capabilities.

>> This made no difference to the speed. Most of my devices seemed to have to connected to the 5GHz network anyway. To be honest I need the 2.4GHz network online anyway as some of my legacy devices need to connect via 2.4GHz. 

3. Run "Test Internet Speed" from Deco app.

This will run speedtest from inside Main Deco to the Internet. If there is some bottleneck, such as Deco only negotiated 100Mbps Ethernet connection with ISP router, you'll see it there. 

Whatever speeds you'll be getting from that test is obviously maximum you can get from running speedtest on wireless device such as Samsung S20+.

>> I ran both the "WifI Analyser" and the "Test Internet Speet". Both are reporting speeds of around 80-90Mbps.

What's really interesting was the point you made about the 100Mbps Ethernet connection. I checked on the 'Hub 3.0' and indeed it could only connect at 100Mbps. All the other devices were connected at 1Gbps. 

I have rebooted the device and tried to reconnect, but it will only connect at 100Mbps. 

I tried doing the same but with nothing connected the 'Hub 3.0' and still the same - 100Mbps.

I then plugged the Deco into my 1Gbps switch and it connected to the 'Hub 3.0' at a reported 1Gbps, but after speed tests it was pulling the same 80-90Mbps. I think the switch was telling the router it was connected at 1Gbps but the Deco had actually negotiated a similar 100Mpbs connect to the switch.

So my next question is: why does the Deco negotiate a 100Mbps (and very limiting) connection to my switch and my router where they are both clearly negotiating 1Gbps connections to every other device in my house?

If you can help any further that will be hugely appreciated as it very much seems to be the issue.

Many thanks,

Jonny

Options
2021-01-07 19:21:15
OK, I now see the problem. I bought E4's not M4's which don't have a Gbps ports... I'm stupid. I've not bought M4s and will be returning the E4s. The issue is that the Amazon listing clearly says: "Data Transfer Rate 1167 Megabits Per Second" I have no idea how they expect to achieve this with 100Mbps ports. It's misleading. Here is the listing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NH1J543/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I will contact them and tell them that they need to update their ad. Many thanks for your help. Jonny
Options
2021-01-08 02:31:12 - last edited 2021-01-08 02:33:27

@JonnyT 

Hi,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I did see the advertising information on the Amazon and there is no obvious mistake about the specification.

and I think you might order M4 from the website but Amazon sent you the wrong model.

3*pack E4 from Amazon and the top shell of E4 is gray while M4 is black.

Price: £86.00 + £26.53 delivery

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-01-08 08:52:54

@TP-Link 

Hey,

There's definitely an error, as the advert clearly states:

Data Transfer Rate 1167 Megabits Per Second

This is completely untrue as there is no possible way to transfer over a Gbps through a 100Mbps ports (or as you again mislabel in the advert '2*Fast Ports' ... they are not fast @ 100Mbps). If you are attempting to refer to internal transfer rates, then all well and good, but label the statement as that, otherwise it's very misleading as no one will achieve those speeds through any device in the real world.

You should relabel the ad to ready

Data Transfer Rate ~ 80-90 Megabits Per Second Max

And the ports should be '*100Mbps ports'.

This would then stop the plethora of comments on this forum asking why the E4 Deco is so slow compared to modern broadband speeds.

Many thanks,

Jonny

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3085

Replies: 5