Wireless Clients showing as Wired in SDN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-08 06:13:53 - last edited 2021-01-13 01:49:49
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Edit: Apologies, i see that this problem has been reported multiple times already as seen here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/246314

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/245372

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/245290

Hopefully this can be fixed soon

​​​​​​​                                                  

Original Post:

I just added the TL-R605 Router to my home network, but now the clients list in SDN keeps most of the clients bouncing from Wireless to Wired connection, one minute, there is about 30 wireless client, which is correct, then the next minute, those 30 clients will report as being connected wired.

When looking at the event logs, i can see the clients constantly being disconnected from "LAN" on the R605 and connecting to a wireless access point (EAP245v3), then looping again.

My setup is as follows:

|---> Misc wired clients

Modem ---> (WAN) TL-R605 (LAN)---> Unmanaged Switch |---> Software Controller

|---> x3 EAP Access Points

Am i doing something wrong? What's throwing me off is that it does show correctly occasionally, but then it'll change within minutes to having most clients connected on Wired as opposed to Wireless. It's annoying because i cannot monitor the signal strength of the clients and monitor whether they are roaming correctly as they will often show as connected via wire in SDN. I'm open to suggestions, any help wold be appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wireless Clients showing as Wired in SDN-Solution
2021-01-13 01:49:42 - last edited 2021-03-04 01:19:12

Dear @geaston,

Thank you for your valued feedback.

The R&D team has located the problem and they will fix the problem in the next version of Omada SDN Controller.

Sorry that I don't know exactly when the update will be released, but I will start a new thread and pin it to the top in the block of Omada Cloud SDN once there is a new version to be released for Omada SDN Controller, then you can check for the update to fix the problem.

Update:

The "Wireless Clients showing as Wired in SDN" problem has been fixed in the Omada SDN Controller v4.2.11, which has been officially released. See HERE.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
25 Reply
Re:Wireless Clients showing as Wired in SDN
2021-01-12 09:32:49

Dear @geaston,

Am i doing something wrong? What's throwing me off is that it does show correctly occasionally, but then it'll change within minutes to having most clients connected on Wired as opposed to Wireless. It's annoying because i cannot monitor the signal strength of the clients and monitor whether they are roaming correctly as they will often show as connected via wire in SDN. 

Sorry for the delayed response.

To confirm, are you using Omada Software Controller v4.2.8? What's the model and firmware version of your EAPs?

If you connect the EAP directly to the TL-R605 via Ethernet cable, does the issue still exist?

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2021-01-12 10:07:32

@Fae 

To confirm, are you using Omada Software Controller v4.2.8? What's the model and firmware version of your EAPs?

Yes. I am using the software controller version 4.2.8 running on Ubuntu 20.04. As for the EAPs, my setup includes x2 EAP-245v3 and one EAP-225v3, all US models and all running the latest firmware version 5.0.0 Build 20200918, and the TL-R605 router is running firmware 1.0.0 Build 20200930. 

If you connect the EAP directly to the TL-R605 via Ethernet cable, does the issue still exist?

I still observe the same behaviour even if the EAPs are connected directly to the R605 router unfortunately, but thank you for the suggestion. 

Looking at the other threads mentioning the same issue, the common denominator seems to be the Omada Software Controller version 4.2.8 paired with a TL-R605.  Hopefully this can be sorted soon. 

Options
2021-01-12 10:59:57

Dear @geaston,

Looking at the other threads mentioning the same issue, the common denominator seems to be the Omada Software Controller version 4.2.8 paired with a TL-R605.  Hopefully this can be sorted soon. 

Thank you for your valued reply. I've reported this issue to the developer who will check it.

Options
Re:Wireless Clients showing as Wired in SDN-Solution
2021-01-13 01:49:42 - last edited 2021-03-04 01:19:12

Dear @geaston,

The R&D team has located the problem and they will fix the problem in the next version of Omada SDN Controller.

Sorry that I don't know exactly when the update will be released, but I will start a new thread and pin it to the top in the block of Omada Cloud SDN once there is a new version to be released for Omada SDN Controller, then you can check for the update to fix the problem.

Update:

The "Wireless Clients showing as Wired in SDN" problem has been fixed in the Omada SDN Controller v4.2.11, which has been officially released. See HERE.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-01-13 02:56:57

@Fae +1 Same issue here. oc200 running 4.2.8. 2 EAP225 and 2 EAP225-Outoor running 5.0.0 all worked fine with a 3rd party router. I upgraded to the r605 and all clients show as wired to the r605 at times. 

Options
2021-01-13 21:18:50 - last edited 2021-01-13 21:22:16

Same here as well, I originally posted in a different sub-forum as I didnt think to check others, glad i found these posts now.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/247334?page=1

I also created a request with TpLink SMB support, who have escalated it to senior engineer.  They did mention v4.2.9 fixes this issue, and perhaps getting a beta out to me...or to downgrade to 4.2.4 in the meantime.  I requested the beta, currently awaiting a response.

Options
2021-01-14 23:26:38 - last edited 2021-01-14 23:29:27

@Fae 

I have just bought a new router TL-R605 in order to replace my current router MikrotiK hAP ac. Right now I am using it with OC200 latest version built in SDN controller v4.2.8 and as I understand it is better to wait for the updated version of SDN controller v4.2.9 prior to replacing my old router. Could please anybody advice if as a workaround I could temporarily downgrade my OC200 firmware to version with build in SDN controller v4.2.4 dated 2020-11-13 and install new router? Will it correct the situation when wireless clients are shown as wired?

Fae wrote

Dear @geaston,

Options
2021-01-14 23:31:50

@VitaliyT 

Per TP-Link, downgrading to 4.2.4 this issue doesnt exist.  However, a downgrade wipes all settings/configurations and cannot be imported from a config file.  They have mentioned they determined this issue does exist in 4.2.8, resolved in 4.2.9

I am awaiting a repsonse from them to provide me the beta 4.2.9.  They stated its up for public release in Feb.

To be honest, the router still functions and everything works EXCEPT, all w/l devices will show as wired then wireless then wired, repeat...it makes tracking down issues difficult, as well as determining what AP a w/l device is connected to.

Options
2021-01-15 18:05:55

@yourownhero 

Thank You for your answer! Could you please tell me, if I decide to downgrade, will OC200 re-adopt all of the access points (I have ten of EAPs) if I set up anew OC200 with my old password and name? Or will I have to reset all of my access points to factory defaults prior to downgrading firmware SDN version? Otherwise I would better wait for a new or beta version.

Sincerely,

Vitalii

yourownhero wrote

@VitaliyT 

Per TP-Link, downgrading to 4.2.4 this issue doesnt exist.  However, a downgrade wipes all settings/configurations and cannot be imported from a config file.  They have mentioned they determined this issue does exist in 4.2.8, resolved in 4.2.9

I am awaiting a repsonse from them to provide me the beta 4.2.9.  They stated its up for public release in Feb.

To be honest, the router still functions and everything works EXCEPT, all w/l devices will show as wired then wireless then wired, repeat...it makes tracking down issues difficult, as well as determining what AP a w/l device is connected to.

Options
2021-01-15 21:54:04

@VitaliyT 

Yes it gets reset to factory. So readoption, setup of APs and networks etc. Even device names and settings defined get wiped. Downgrading it doesn't retain settings at all. It's like installing it new.

I would just wait for beta or new release.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 5966

Replies: 25

Related Articles