Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

83 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices
2021-12-03 12:40:02 - last edited 2021-12-03 12:42:35

@TP-Link 

Hi,

the values yesterday were with the deco set as a Router and the other two as slaves.

Today i tried it with AP mode and i got 244mbit:

Nothing else is attached to the FritzBox

At the same time i get 250.320mbit on the deco APP. WIth my regular 5ghz FritzBox connection i get 530mbit while being in the same room. The slave is around 3m closer to the room than my FritzBox. With the FritzBox i have 3/4 connectivity with the deco i have 4/4.

And these are todays values when i set the deco as router:

If i plug my PC to the main deco via cable i get full speed

Options
2021-12-06 12:09:39

@TP-Link 

I've got TP-link Deco P9 system with three units. The house has three floors and there is one P9 each, see the image.

I used to have Deco M9 plus with three units, but the speeds were too low (other than office about 60-90 Mbps download speeds). Signal strenght was one or two out of three.

Then I saw P9 and its Powerline Gigabit Backhaul. I was hoping to get at least 300-400 Mbps speeds around the house. It didn't happen. It's a wooden house with wooden floors and there is one chimney in the middle of the house.

What can I do to make the other locations have more speed? I can't have an ethernet between the units.

Also, many times the Signal Source on Android Deco app shows "Unavailable for current firmware", then suddenly it might show the information I'm looking for. What's the deal with that?

Here's the network with speedtests. The laptop is the same one in all cases.

Options
2021-12-07 12:10:20

@vesa 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

When you test the download speed via Ethernet cable to these Decos, have you checked the link speed on the laptop?

How to check the associated/link speed on a wired client

It seemed like the link speed somehow was capped to 100m/s.

By the way, did your Deco P9 work under the wireless router mode, or access point mode?

Options
2021-12-08 13:13:01 - last edited 2021-12-08 13:18:48

@TP-Link 

That's a good point, but the connection is 1 Gbps.

The P9 is in wireless router mode.

Also the wireless speed test result is under 100 Mbps, the connection speed is as follows:

Options
2021-12-09 18:38:39

@vesa 

Did you find any solution? I have the same situation here but I'm using a 500MB internet link. When I few steps far from the deco, I got a very low speed...

Options
2021-12-09 18:42:29

@Ibiamon 

No I didn't. Both Decos I've tested (M9 plus and P9) are slow for me.

Options
2021-12-09 18:54:57 - last edited 2021-12-09 18:56:59

Here are the tips that I found to get good speed.

* Make sure use cat 6 cable to connect to your modem.  I used my original pre-wired cat 5 cable, only got 95mbps, even with wired connection.

* Try to test wired connection first to make sure it can reach your ISP provided  speed.

* Use wifi analyzer or Deco Lab app  to check wifi interference. If it has high interference, user Deco App to reboot the first device (it's sad that Deco app does not provide a way to select wifi channel)

* If it is possible, use wire to connect to a different Deco device. My connection speed is 2X when using wired connection between the two Deco devices.

@TP-Link , when are you going to provide updated firmware that can selection channel ? I still see high wifi interference in Deco Lab. I saw a couple of channels that are less crowded, but reboot Deco device multiple times, it still does not select the channels that are not or less used by neighbors.

Options
Re:Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices
2021-12-25 03:36:09

@TP-Link hi! My ISP provides over 300mbps. When I do speed test with main 5 deco attached via ethernet, I get 370mpbs but when connected to the other m5 deco pods I only get 50max. Signal connection to main deco is 2 bars. Thanks

Options
2022-01-12 14:09:23

@TP-Link 

I tried with the new firmware (p9-SP1-up-ver1-1-3-P1[20210115-rel60510]_debug) and there is no change in speed.

Couple weeks ago I used an ethernet cable (about 25 meters) from office to media room and got download 840 Mbps and upload speed 96 Mbps. 

I tried same cable also in the basement and got 660 Mbps and 95 Mbps (different computer than media room's might explain the difference). 

So the speed can be sufficient with P9 but only with ethernet backhaul. Unfortunately I couldn't leave the ethernet cable on the floor and stairs.

Still hoping to find a way to make the powerline backhaul work more effectively between the units.

Options
2022-01-14 16:35:49

@TP-Link What WiFi analyser do you refer to ?

Options
Related Articles