Losing connection after firmware update!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-14 19:35:54
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Hi! 

On the evening of friday 12/3 I saw a notice in the Deco app on my phone that a firmware update was availble. I let the app install it for my 2 Deco-units and it was successful.

The morning after my wireless connection on my PC starts out fine but loses connection after a couple of minutes. If I disconnect and re-connect in Windows it works fine, full speed, for a couple of minutes and the stalls again.

I've rebooted the pc, rebooted the both Decos, did a reset on them, removed them from my network and added them again, disabled my VPN, problem is still present!

Attempted to downgrade the firmware but I get a message that only installation of newer versions of the firmware is possible. The firmware that was installed yesterday was NOT named 1.5.3, but a slightly lower number. I found 1.5.3 for download on the website and manually upgraded to 1.5.3 via cable but the problem remains. It's feels as if when a certain time as passed or a certain amount of date has been received, the connection just dies. It is the internet-access that is lost, I'm still connected to my LAN. (I get the icon with a little globe with a disabled-symbol.)

How do I roll back to see if that takes care of the problem? What could be the problem with the new firmware??

Options
5 Reply
Re:Losing connection after firmware update!
2021-03-15 06:56:47

@D.P. 

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Before firmware 1.5.2/1.5.3, the internet connection is much more stable on firmware 1.5.1, right?

Did you mean even the Ethernet connection from the main Deco would be disconnected as well?

--if yes, could the Deco be blinking red?

May I know who is your internet service provider and what is the model number of the ISP cable modem?

If possible, could you please provide me a picture of the network topology of the Deco system?

Thank you.

Options
2021-03-20 19:52:31

@TP-Link 

Yes, before the firmware update everything was working flawless for the 8 months I've had the M5.

The color of the led never changes while the connection is down, neither on the main deco nor the AP. However, since the trouble started I brought

home a laptop which connects to the wireless network with a totaly stable connection. No problems with the phone either. So it seems my desktop and

Deco stopped getting along a few hours after the last update. ISP is Bahnhof. 

So far I've re-installled the USB adapter twice, tried another adapter without luck, and manually re-installed the lastest firmware on both Decos via cable.

I can access every website just is fine when I boot up, then within 5-10 minutes the ethernet access is lost, and if I disconnect from my home network and reconnects it

starts working again most of the times, for 5-10 minutes. Rinse and repeat.. Sometime I must make several attempts for it to connects again. VPN on or off makes no difference. 

I would prefer if it was just as bad on all my devices not just the PC.. Any logs that can reveal anything?

Options
2021-03-22 03:37:54

@D.P. 

Hi,

So currently, only one laptop would lose the internet connection from the Deco since the firmware has been updated to 1.5.3, right?

Would turning off the Mesh Technology on the Deco APP for this computer help or not?

May I know the model number, as well as the operating system of this laptop and, could you please refer to this link to help me check the system info and driver info about this computer as well:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2722/

And if possible, could you please help me check the IP address and ping the gateway on the computer when the internet lost?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-03-23 10:40:47 - last edited 2021-03-24 18:31:13

@TP-Link 

The laptop retains connection just fine, the one with the issues is a stationary desktop pc. I tried disabling the mesh technology for this computer

and it actually seemed to work! Thank you very much for the advice, I'll try some more this evening to see if it remains stable.

Options
2021-03-24 18:34:11
Everything has been working fine after disabling Mesh!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1627

Replies: 5

Related Articles