Apple TV cannot connect to WiFi with X20

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-17 23:42:07 - last edited 2021-03-18 17:43:48
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20201013 Rel. 64606

@TP-Link I was so excited to receive my 3-piece Deco X20 kit today! I set up two of the units with ethernet backhaul, connected my iPhone and iPad, tested download speeds (big improvement over previous setup), and then... I tried to connect my two older Apple TVs to the WiFi network. :(

I tried the following configurations:

• X20 as router with same SSID and password as previous system
  • X20 as access point with same SSID and password as previous system
  • X20 as router with new SSID and password
  • X20 as access point with new SSID and password

In every scenario, both Apple TVs failed to connect to WiFi. It shows my SSID on the list of available networks, but when I select it, it tells me it could not connect and that the network password I entered is incorrect. I was never given the opportunity to enter a network password. This occurred even after I reset my Apple TV to factory defaults and tried to set them up as new devices.

I've seen other people have issues with Deco X series routers and Apple TVs. Has there been any solution to this yet? I'm very frustrated because I was loving the X20 system until I hit this brick wall. In my household, inability to use Apple TV is a show stopper. I do not have the option of hard wiring the Apple TVs to test that configuration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I give up and return the new system. I REALLY want this to work!!!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Apple TV cannot connect to WiFi with X20-Solution
2021-03-18 17:43:18 - last edited 2021-03-18 17:43:48

DavidTN wrote

@TP-Link  I've attached a photo of the screen showing the error message. I already had Fast Roaming disabled, and it didn't make a difference. I tried disabling Beamforming, and at first it didn't appear to work because I got the same error message. But when I dismissed the error message, it asked me for the WiFi password (which it wasn't doing before), and then it connected. For the security setting, I had to select WPA/WPA2-PSK. Anything else made it disconnect. 

I'm currently streaming a movie from Netflix to see if it will stay connected, but so far it seems OK. 

@TP-Link, I was successfully able to stream two complete movies from Netflix with no problem. I think I have arrived at an acceptable solution.

Just to summarize, for anyone else who's reading, my two Apple TV (Gen 3) units could not connect to my new Deco X20 system out of the box. I tried various secuirty protocol settings as well as alternating between router and access point setups. Nothing worked. Based on TP-Link's suggestion, I disable Beamforming in the Deco settings (Fast Roaming was already disabled). After doing this, I still got an error message when selecting the network in the Apple TV, but after dismissing the error message, it asked me for my WiFi password and then connected. I don't know if router/access point settings make a difference, but I am currently running in access point mode because my router existing router has better parental controls.

Thanks for the help, @TP-Link!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Apple TV cannot connect to WiFi with X20
2021-03-18 03:25:03

@DavidTN 

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you tried to turn off the fast roaming as well as the beamforming on the Deco APP?

Can I have a picture of the error message on the Apple TV?

And As for wireless security mode, did you choose WPA/WPA2-PSK, or something else?--it is under More>wi-fi;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
Re:Apple TV cannot connect to WiFi with X20
2021-03-18 11:53:14

@TP-Link  I've attached a photo of the screen showing the error message. I already had Fast Roaming disabled, and it didn't make a difference. I tried disabling Beamforming, and at first it didn't appear to work because I got the same error message. But when I dismissed the error message, it asked me for the WiFi password (which it wasn't doing before), and then it connected. For the security setting, I had to select WPA/WPA2-PSK. Anything else made it disconnect. 

I'm currently streaming a movie from Netflix to see if it will stay connected, but so far it seems OK. 

Options
Re:Apple TV cannot connect to WiFi with X20-Solution
2021-03-18 17:43:18 - last edited 2021-03-18 17:43:48

DavidTN wrote

@TP-Link, I was successfully able to stream two complete movies from Netflix with no problem. I think I have arrived at an acceptable solution.

Just to summarize, for anyone else who's reading, my two Apple TV (Gen 3) units could not connect to my new Deco X20 system out of the box. I tried various secuirty protocol settings as well as alternating between router and access point setups. Nothing worked. Based on TP-Link's suggestion, I disable Beamforming in the Deco settings (Fast Roaming was already disabled). After doing this, I still got an error message when selecting the network in the Apple TV, but after dismissing the error message, it asked me for my WiFi password and then connected. I don't know if router/access point settings make a difference, but I am currently running in access point mode because my router existing router has better parental controls.

Thanks for the help, @TP-Link!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1480

Replies: 3

Related Articles