Devices connected to access point are not reachable after Wi-Fi network change

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-26 00:13:06 - last edited 2021-03-26 00:15:39
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 201122 Rel.66972n

Hello,

I have an Archer VR600 v3 as my main router and Archer D7 set in access point mode with DHCP disabled, LAN-to-LAN connection is used between them.

There are two computers connected to the D7 using Ethernet its ethernet ports. Each router has its own SSID for Wi-Fi.

When I'm connected to the D7 using Wi-Fi, I can access all the devices connected to both routers without any problems, but when I change the Wi-Fi connection to VR600, I can't access any computers connected to the D7 unless I wait for like 10 minuets or unplug and plug the ethernet cable connecting it to the VR600. There's no problem if I change Wi-Fi from VR600 to D7, so it seems to be an issue with the VR600 v3.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue or it's a firmware issue?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Devices connected to access point are not reachable after Wi-Fi network change
2021-03-26 17:15:59 - last edited 2021-03-26 17:20:59

@3Dman 

Hey

I have to be honest and say this probably not an issue with the firmware, rather you are trying to use a router as a switch / AP.. good chance this wont work perfectly for you.. the D7 I think is your issue given that its a router and not an AP / Switch.   The D7 is the wrong device for what you are trying to do!  Sorry!!

That aside I have got this working before, but I would do it differently from your setup.   At the moment as you have the DHCP disabled on the D7 any IPs on the clients will have a default gateway from the VR600...  

Purely thinking out loud but therefore any traffic going down from the D7 will work as the VR600 is the final destination.. going back up.. not so sure..  Seperating the DHCPs would allow for different default gateways and DNS so might work better for you.

My thinking is

• Set the VR600 as  DSL Modem Router Mode   192.168.1.1   and enabled DHCP with a scope of   .2  - .99 
  • Set the D7 in Wireless Router Mode with IP  192.168.1.100   and enable DHCP with a scope of  .101 - 199
  • LAN cable from VR 600 to   WAN/LAN Port on D7 (yellow port closest to middle)   that should see the VR600 as the upstream WAN / LAN..  I dont think the standard LAN ports will work for you

Think I have set others up that way before and it worked..  

Problem is your are

1. Double NATing the network (not an issue, but not ideal)
  2. Running 2x DHCP servers
  3. Running 2x Routers and no switches
Options
Re:Devices connected to access point are not reachable after Wi-Fi network change
2021-03-27 16:04:47 - last edited 2021-03-27 16:12:22

@Philbert 

Hi,

This was not an issue with the VR600 v2 so I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the VR600 v3. I was using the D7 as an access point for more than a year with the VR600 v2 and never had this issue. I have also tried using the VR600 v2 as an access point and this issue is happening.

From reading online, it's an issue with the router not updating it's bridge tables when a Wi-Fi roaming happens, and when the ethernet link between the router and the access point is severed, the tables get updated and it works instantly https://superuser.com/a/1051390

I'm using the router in Access point mode as recommended by TP-Link https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/archer-vr600/v2/#video

Options
2021-03-30 08:04:09

@3Dman 

Hi, please help me check the following information so that I could consult your case with the senior engineers later:

1. Can you get internet access when connecting to the wireless network of the access point?

2. What are the IP settings when Archer VR600 V3 could not access Archer D7/Archer VR600 V2 and were you able to ping the devices behind the D7 from Archer VR600 V3?

3. Could you please back up the configuration profiles on both Archer VR600 V3 as well as the Archer D7 and send them to me?

Thank you very much. 

Options
2021-03-30 15:37:38

@TP-Link 

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, below are my answers.

Yes, there's no problem with internet access when changing WiFi networks between router and access point.

My IP settings on all clients always use DHCP, VR600 V3 is the main DSL router with the IP 192.168.1.1 and Archer D7 is 192.168.1.254 configured as access point.

Archer D7 has DHCP disabled and it's connected to VR600 V3 using LAN to LAN ports, WAN ports are not used at all.

I can't ping devices connected to D7 from the VR600 after connecting to the WiFi network of VR600 instantly, but they work well after 5 minutes or after disconnecting the lan cable between the router and the access point.  

When changing the WiFi from from VR600 to D7 I can access the devices connected to the VR600 router immediately so it seems that the D7 can update its bridge tables without problems just like my old VR600 V2.

3. I have sent the configurations.

I've never had this problem when using the VR600 V2 as the main router and D7 as the access point so my problem now is just the VR600 V3 so I appreciate your response and I'm ready to provide all the help I can to know the root cause and eventually get this fixed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 798

Replies: 4