Simple Home -- Virgin BB / VM Hub 3 (Modem mode)/ Deco M 5s (Router mode)-"Simple" Peripherals

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Simple Home -- Virgin BB / VM Hub 3 (Modem mode)/ Deco M 5s (Router mode)-"Simple" Peripherals

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-03 20:16:46
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.3 Build 20210203 Rel. 68223

Hi, 

New Member. First,  apologies to Igrenter-- had difficulties in formatting my name and used yours with variant, as a trial , not expecting it to be accepted, irretrievably. !

To give background I considered myself fairly adept at technology till I began investigating issues below, and got totally and utterly confused and bamboozled by the level of complexities and technicalities  as regards Mac addresses/ Ip addresses/ Switches/ Backhauling/ beamforming, Access points etc etc.  

I am Looking for "cheat sheet" type of help for a fairly simple home set up. I had/ have Virgin BB (500mb) V M Hub 3 Modem/  Router and it all worked very well, with no complex setups etc, but had poor wifi signals in parts of my dwelling due to necessary location of the Hub. I got tired of trying extenders etc and installed, very straightforwardly, the Deco M5, three "node" setup. Primary node is adjacent to the VM Hub, with the two satellites in other parts of the house. All work exactly as claimed on the tin with speed most satisfactory. They are all in router mode. I had set the VM hub into Modem mode and turned its wifi off. I obviously connected ethernet cable to top slot on the hub, and then  to primary Deco M5. All mobiles/ Ipads/ Smart speakers etc worked very well as expected, using the "old" SSID / Passwords which I carried forward from previous set up. BUT then some hours after initial set up and after  having  worked  satisfactorily my Samsung 7 Series Smart TV, WIRELESSLY connected TV began to go a bit haywire/ froze. Switching on and off appeared to work, and various community fora for TP/ Sky/ Virgin etc highlighted a connectivity conflict possibility. In all the cases I encountered the problem seemed mainly to revolve around cases which had Sky mini boxes connected. I do not have any mini boxes, and will never require one. After two malfunctions/ restarting satisfactorily I connected one of the Deco M5 satellites to the Sky Q Box (model ES130) with a short ethernet cable. As no issues have since (yet ?) recurred  I have NOT (yet) attempted to change the internet connectivity menus of the Sky Box and / or TV lest I create further problems which I might find difficult to reverse later . I read somewhere that the connecting of an ethernet cable automatically reconfigured the Sky Box, without outside intervention. 

I would say that I installed the Deco 5,s only one week ago, and while I may be overthinking it, I fear that unexpected / intermittent problems will most likely arise with the SkyQ box in the near future, which, with the passage of time cause me to scratch my head as to what I did last week and what I have been uttterly confused with in the interim. The advices I have encountered in these fora have been very revealing and helpful  but most of the set ups referred to appear to be a lot more complex than my "simple" configuration.

Tips would be much appreciated-- the less technical the better.

PS does the quality/ version of cable (Cat 5/ 6 /e etc) have any appreciable influence. As above I use two short ones ,(A)  TP supplied one ,Hub to Primary Deco and (B) Unbranded ,  Secondary  Deco to Sky Q Box.)

Options
2 Reply
Re:Simple Home -- Virgin BB / VM Hub 3 (Modem mode)/ Deco M 5s (Router mode)-"Simple" Peripherals
2021-04-08 08:36:24

@Igrenter78 

Hi, currently, based on other users' experience, connecting the Sky Q box directly via Ethernet cable to one of the Deco units would be more recommended in order to maintain a stable connection of the sky Q box;

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Simple Home -- Virgin BB / VM Hub 3 (Modem mode)/ Deco M 5s (Router mode)-"Simple" Peripherals
2021-04-08 09:12:42

@TP-Link 

Hi, 

Assum you are agent of TP Link and reply as such.

You say "more" recommended, and "maintain a stable connection". The main benefit, and often only reason, to upgrade from "lesser" wiifi options is to extend signal to more difficult areas ithrough the Mesh system. I acknowledge that the Deco M5's work extremely well with all my items EXCEPT Sky Q Box. Your response does not fully address the issue of your customers who have your mesh, Sky Q Box AND miniboxes. It is reputedly the cross talk between the sky "network" which is main problem. Through trial and error, much headscratching and a lot of time on line I managed to get my system up and running along the lines you suggest. BUT it was quite convenient in my layout to place a node beside the Sky Q Box and use a short Ethernet cable, and I do NOT have SKY mini BOXES. I HAD to disable wifi on the Sky box to suit my set up.

I must say I got far superior on line assistance from the Sky Community forum than here-- both from Sky itself and amateur members. I also believe that your support website facilities should have a caution/ advice/ cheat sheet  on these difficulties which are well known and long standing.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 500

Replies: 2