Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

200 Reply
Re:[Solution] Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server
2021-10-17 07:47:47

@Pmalinko Because its a quicker and better solution than whatever TP-Link has.

I think the beta software actually made it worse and I tried flashing the release firmware they have on their site and it wont go back

Options
2021-10-17 12:10:02

@riahc4 I note that there are a lot of warnings about the support for the WPA8630 models in OpenWRT and risks of bricking the device. They advise waiting for a stable release.

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wpa8630p_v2

I also note that most of the OpenWRT forum posts mentioning the WPA8630 devices are referring to devices that have been bricked.

https://forum.openwrt.org/search?q=Wpa8630

It feels like life may be more disrupted by going this route than the current mess.

Options
2021-10-21 06:40:35

Hello @riahc4 , may I know which beta firmware is on your device now and which official software you tried to flash back to? 

If the device has upgraded to (EU) version beta, also try (EU) version official firmware, country version should be the same noted on the device label most of the time. 

Options
2021-10-21 08:51:33

@dunxd  Right, I installed it and it is not a stable and limited release. Above all of having to install an additional web interface to manage it by user interface. Reverting it to the original is very complicated. I do not recommend it if you do not have a high level from the command line.

Options
2021-10-21 08:56:47

@Solla-topee  For when a firmware that disables the DHCP?

3 months have passed since the beta firmware publication, to add to the 4 years since the launch of the last official firmware.

There would be another one to throw 100 euros in the trash as a user said in another post.

Great job guys!!!

Options
2021-10-21 09:55:50

@Zoltar74  I did not get the estimated date either, but I know the project for the beta has been established, it probably takes longer time. 

Options
2021-10-21 12:15:56

@Solla-topee "established"??? EOL (End of Life)  in the website, only last firmware for download. New products with same problem.

Ummmm I'm going to buy another new TP-LINK product immediately. Thank you very much.

Options
2021-10-29 19:02:15

@Solla-topee 

I have been suffering with the WPA8630p for about a year now, basically I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on when whenever this device is plugged in it killed my powerline network.  the router would have stayed up and running and direct wifi to teh router would continue to work by anything that was on the powerline circuits just went down randomly.   No power cuts and ONLY when the TL-WPA8630p was used.

I have struggled with TP-Link support, indeed one of your 'Chat support people' simply said the device was incompatible with BT hardware ... I may still have the chat transcript to prove it.... then months later and hacked off at having spent such a large sum on these devices I find that there is a DHCP issue being discussed that was never mentioned by support....  

Still trying to get some value out of the device I looked again and found this thread in which it appears TP-LINK know about the problems but aren't doing much to fix it, ahe but they did issue a TL-WPA8631pV3 device.... heaven knows if that works I haven't dared to spend any more on TP-Link kit, and in anycase it appears having read this there still isn't a fix and that I wasted my cash.

Options
2021-11-01 23:15:28

@Solla-topee It's unbelievable to sell a product with such an option and to not add the setting to disable it. I hope the final firmware will be released soon. This DHCP server screwed a part of my network for days and it took me a f**** while to figure out what was the problem.

Options
2021-11-02 06:34:37 - last edited 2021-11-02 06:35:32

@PC_60 While tracing your case, it seems that instability occurs when you try to use TL-WPA8630 a different brand of powerline KIT.  ' TL-WPA8630P become unreliable when used with BT Mini Connector powerline kit. '  If that the case, we recommend to use powerline units from the same manufacture or compability or performance can not be promised. 

Theoretically you can have more than powerline network under the same powerline, you could use this powerline KIT solely to extend network ( main unit to router, extender in another room), not pair with the BT one and see if there is DHCP issue phenomenon described on the page 1 of this thread.  

Options
Related Articles