Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server

200 Reply
Re:[Solution] Powerline Extender Acting as the DHCP server
2022-01-17 18:12:21

@Solla-topee

I would add more. Last week I installed firmware versions that have been developed by the unofficial community and I have gained between 100 and 150 Mbps in the communications between 8010-8630p and two 4020p. You are an artists!!!
When I have money to buy other devices I will crush with a hammer the four devices, and the tp-link router I had saved as gold of how well it had worked.
Options
2022-01-17 19:25:14

@Zoltar74 which are those unofficial firmwares?

Options
2022-01-17 19:59:36 - last edited 2022-01-17 20:11:15
in this same forum you have them: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/204234?page=1. Have been developing updates until April 2020, and TP-Link has not been able to fix a tremendous bug in its official firmware since 2017. Spectacular!!!
and it is not another different firmware no, it is not openwrt, they have updated it on the official one with Qualcomm's own tools the chipset manufacturer, an incredible service by TP-Link, bravo!!!
Options
2022-01-17 20:35:40

@Zoltar74 

I also used 8630, since I removed from the network everything works well as never before...

Options
2022-01-17 22:42:46

@Solla-topee 

I have TL-WPA4220 5.0 in Hardware version

How do I know if it's (EU) or (US) version?

Options
2022-01-18 02:39:39

Hello @Louen 

It's on the sticker of WPA4220 unit, usually together with model & hardware version. 

Options
2022-01-18 03:34:06

Hello @Zoltar74 

Really appreciate for your positive feedback on the unofficial firmware shared by our forum user. I will collect some feedback there and may forward to our team for study & research purpose. Kindly note that those firmwares are not provided by TP-Link staff or ever tested by TP-Link, I would recommend user evaluating first before update to any unofficial firmware. 

As this thread is mainly for smart DHCP concern, may I know did you find the firmware helps improve the stability or with DHCP server issue? If so, can I know which firmware you updated to, many thanks. 

Options
2022-01-18 09:43:38

@Solla-topee I have only installed the first beta version that you provided in JULY 2020 that did not work and gave problems. I have not installed the firmware that I provide by private the technical service nor do I plan to install any more beta. I already told you at the time that if you want beta-testers you will page them. I have provided the information about the unofficial firmware to highlight the ineptitude of your development team and the contempt you have for your customers, and propose an improvement to the poor people who have to put up with this like me, not to do you a favor. What are you going to do with my feedback? If the product has already reached the EOL, all you are doing since 2017, date on which you published the latest firmware, is to delay customers so that the warranty expires, if any, and do not return the product.

I trust more people who work to improve things on their own, than what you are going to do for your customers.
Options
2022-01-18 09:50:49 - last edited 2022-01-18 09:53:54

I honestly found that community built firmware a red herring and waste of time. It did not claim to  address the DHCP issue or the access point aspect of the devices at all, and it was impossible to install on my hardware (WPA8630P UK V2).

Maybe it works fine if you have exactly the required hardware and are looking to increase powerline throughput by some amount - but for addressing the DHCP issue it is a non starter as far as I can tell. No-one was posting any messages saying "I tried it and it's fixed!"

Also I could find no info about who had prepared the firmware at all, related documentation, open source project pages etc. so it felt risky. At least with TP-Link firmware there is some sort of accountability.

Options
2022-01-18 10:27:12

@dunxd 

Kind of really confirms TPLink aren't doing anything to fix a dud product but have allowed the 'community' (their customers) to be misled and diverted with false hopes that they are actually trying do a fix.

A case setup to liase with what I thought was TPLink actually went nowhere and no fixes were derived.  I thought it was TPLink liaising but clearly not.  Just another deception.

Trustworthy? Not.

Options
Related Articles