Votes

[Wi-Fi Routers] AP Mode supports Onemesh

2021-07-09 07:47:55 - last edited 2022-10-27 09:34:08
Model: TP-Link Routers  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

There are some cases that customers have their main modem router acting as the gateway and DHCP server in the network, and thus they need to change the TP-Link router to work as an Access Point to avoid the double-NAT issue. However, some of them still request the Onemesh routers (TP-Link OneMesh Devices) to support building up an Onemesh system with the Onemesh extenders when working in Access Point mode.

Before requesting that, we hope you could have a brief understanding about the difference between Router mode and Access Mode by referring to the article below, some advanced features would not be supported in Access Point mode, which is also the case for Onemesh:

What’s the difference between the Access Point Mode and Router Mode on the TP-Link wireless router?

If you do purchase an Onemesh router and extender already, you will need to configure it in Router mode to build up the Onemesh system. For better performance, it is suggested to check with your modem router support that if you can turn it into bridge mode or pure modem, then configure the TP-Link router as the main router.

However, we still open our ears for the market and customers here that how many of you request the Onemesh router supporting Onemesh in AP mode, and all of your opinions will be passed to the relevant team to be considered.

Press the like button and/or leave your comments and opinions if you also request the same. You can also exchange or share your opinions on this feature here. Thanks!

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:[Wi-Fi Routers] AP Mode supports Onemesh-Solution
2022-08-23 12:12:26 - last edited 2022-08-23 12:12:53

Hello @zuozi and everyone who is looking for Onemesh between two routers,

I'm updating here to let you know that there will be a new feature called EasyMesh added to the TP-Link routers and range extenders, which will allow you to build a mesh network between two routers wirelessly.

Please visit the following thread to know more about how EasyMesh will work, leave your comments there if you have further inquiries:

EasyMesh Networking: Build Wireless Backhaul between Routers and Range Extenders

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:[Wi-Fi Routers] AP Mode supports Onemesh-Solution
2023-11-02 08:38:16 - last edited 2023-11-02 08:38:58

@shawneve   @JP827767099   @Ernis 

Hello All,

Happy News!

We have provided public beta firmware for Archer AX55 V1, which introduces several exciting new functions and improvements to enhance your experience including Ethernet BackhaulEasyMesh in AP modeSatellite Router ManagementDoH&DoTECO Mode, etc.

Please visit the following thread to learn more about these new features, and do let us know if there is anything that comes up with the new beta:

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

We encourage you to try out this beta firmware and take advantage of the following features. Leave your comment or ask questions in the about topic. Your feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Related Articles:

Product List of Wi-Fi Routers that Support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul

How to Build an Ethernet Backhaul Using Two EasyMesh Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
79 Reply
Re:[Wi-Fi Routers] AP Mode supports Onemesh
2021-07-29 12:42:37

@Kevin_Z I like the use case you describe, but I'll give you one more.

I have multiple Archer AX6000's. Wouldn't it be nice for the AP mode to support One Mesh, so I can configure one AX6000 as my main router and all the others in AP mode to extend the total range of my wireless network. If the AP mode would support One Mesh I could seamlessly roam between access points without having to switch between SSID's.

I would love for TP-Link to approach their devices like AVM with their FRITZ products. They all interconnect seamlessly, with no exceptions.

Please let the develops know that this feature is highly desirable. Thanks!

Options
2021-09-21 13:42:11
Yes! It would be great, TP-Link is building very cool and good products. I em excited to use this feature in future. I have to Archer C6, one in AP Mode
Options
2021-10-04 21:44:39

@Kevin_Z

So what is the position of tp-link, will it support many routers in one mesh or not? 
Are you working on this solution?

Options
2021-10-05 03:20:36

@Kevin_Z 

There wouldn't be a double NAT issue, cuz no one running a wired backhaul to a router in access point mode is going to plug the ethernet cable into the wan port lol? We've been doing this stuff since we were 6 years old with our eyes closed...

Once u disable the DHCP server it's esentially 99% in access point mode already anyways, it's not complicated stuff.

Stop making excuses TP-Link and just add the ability for the protocol to use wired backhaul and enable TP-Link routers that already support onemesh to be used as a mesh member in access point mode?! This is simple stuff that should take "the worlds #1 home networking supplier" a month tops, in software dev and testing...

Anything less and it's either an excuse or team incompetence, simple...

Options
2021-12-16 13:38:45
Yes please! As long as it also means that one mesh will be supported even between routers
Options
2021-12-19 18:30:50
Upvote. Must needed.
Options
2021-12-25 14:19:20

@Kevin_Z 

I just got an AX1800 router and RE500X extender.  Selection was largely based on all the claims about OneMesh.  I read the product pages AND pdf manuals before buying.

Now, to my dismay, after some time trying to get OneMesh going, I find that you have this statement hidden away: "Wireless Routers support OneMesh™ only on Router mode" WAY ON THE BOTTOM of a LOOONG page full of marketing hype.  There is not ONE WORD about this limitation in the pdf docs or pages for the AX1800 nor the RE500X!

I feel cheated.  

So, what are the chances that I am going to rearrange my network so the AX1800 is my main router, with its uplink port connected to my internet link (cable modem)?  ZERO.  ZED.  NONE.  

Why not?  For one, the AX1800 does not have 12 ports for the wired part of my network.  For another, I put a lot more trust in the firewall capabilities of my industrial-grade, Cisco router.  

So, yes, the OneMesh capability IS needed in AP mode.

In the interim, is it unethical of you to omit that information from the product documentation.  

You should expect that I will downrate both products AND your company accordingly in reviews: you have deceived me (and, surely, many others) by hiding the limitation in an obscure location and leaving it out of the product doc... expect to be dissed both on product features and your shortfall in business ethics. 

Options
2021-12-26 12:38:38

@spacecat 

I guess your better bet would be to return Tplink and get Asus or Keenetic with their mesh implementations and lack of such restrictions and spread these news about Tplink everywhere you can to warn other potential customers from similar mistakes. I suspect that posting complaints/requests in these forums will change almost nothing in your or other customers favor. 

Options
2021-12-27 09:22:52

@Kevin_Z  I've been a long time TP-Link user and just exchanged an C3200 with a MR600 to build a 4G backup network. I had also planned to integrate Onemesh with an AX10, that I'm using as an access point in another room, but apparently there was some fine print I missed in the marketing speak...no Onemesh in AP mode....then maybe this should be called "One Mess" ? :-)

Options
2021-12-28 08:54:38 - last edited 2023-11-02 08:38:46

@AX10v1noOneMesh 

Hello, I understand this could be frustrating to find a feature that is not supported or the product is not working as requested after purchasing, so we tried to make it clearer by adding the QAs to the Onemesh splash page and hope you could check that when choosing a device to meet your requirement.

As we also tried to explain here in my original post that the Wi-Fi routers are mainly designed to work as the gateway device, so Onemesh was not implemented to it when it is switched to be an Access Point. But also as we stated that all of your opinions had been passed along to the team, they will consider if this can be added via a firmware update in near future.

Apologies again that we don't have any specific details that I can share around if this can come to all Onemesh routers, or when it might, but let's hope they will do.

We appreciate all your feedback and we encourage you to click the "Thumb-up" to upvote the feature you are requesting at any time.

Options

Information

Helpful: 181

Views: 24030

Replies: 80

Voters 113

+ 109 Voters