EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller

2 weeks ago - last edited Wednesday

Exciting news! 

We're thrilled to announce the rollout of new official firmware rolling out for multiple routers, including the BE, AX, and AC series, which introduces EasyMesh in AP Mode as a Controller. We invite you to upgrade and install this latest firmware version to try it out.

This Article Applies to:

Model & Hardware & Firmware Update Date
Archer BE11000 Pro(US)_V1.6_1.1.0 Build 20240730 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer BE700 Pro(US)_V1.6_1.1.0 Build 20240730 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer BE550 Pro_V1&V1.6_1.1.0 Build 20240730 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer BE3600_V1_1.1.0 Build 20240729 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer BE230_V1&V1.6_1.1.0 Build 20240729 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer AX55(EN)_V1_1.3.3 Build 20240628 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer AX55(US/CA/TW)_V1_1.3.2 Build 20240325 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer C80_V2.20/V2.26_1.14.0 Build 240617 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer C6_V4_1.14.0 Build 240617 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer C86_V1_1.14.0 Build 240617 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024
Archer A8_V2.20/V2.26_1.14.0 Build 240617 and newer versions Sep 2, 2024

Moderator Note:

1. The availability of EasyMesh in AP Mode may vary by region even for the same model. Please check your local website for more information.
2. The above list might not include all models and hardware versions. It is recommended to keep watching the firmware releases for your router, as all the newly supported features will be listed in the patch notes if/when it is added to your version.

User Scenarios:

Some users would prefer to, or are limited by their devices to, have their main modem router acting as the gateway and DHCP server in the network, which requires using the TP-Link Wi-Fi router in AP (Access Point) Mode to avoid the double-NAT issue. However, they also wish to utilize the EasyMesh feature of the TP-Link Wi-Fi router to create a mesh network with other EasyMesh routers or extenders.

The topology is roughly as follows (Topo 1):

Or as this one (Topo 2):

Note: In this topo, both the EasyMesh Wi-Fi router and the satellite router/extender must support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul.

You may also connect the EasyMesh Wi-Fi routers like below, it will also work (Topo 3):

Note: In this topo, the EasyMesh Wi-Fi router and the satellite router/extender must also support EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul. 

Comment below if you have any feedback or run into any issues — we’re here to help.

Related Articles:

[Wi-Fi Routers] AP Mode supports EasyMesh

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
14 Reply
Re:EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller
2 weeks ago
Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Does this mean that if I have a TP-Link Archer AXE75 as my main router, I can connect aTP-Link Archer AX55 by wire (ethernet connection) and operate it in AP mode and it will join my OneMesh network? Is this ethernet backhaul?

Options
a week ago

gmarinos wrote

Does this mean that if I have a TP-Link Archer AXE75 as my main router, I can connect aTP-Link Archer AX55 by wire (ethernet connection) and operate it in AP mode and it will join my OneMesh network? Is this ethernet backhaul?

@gmarinos Nope. When the AX55 is working in AP Mode, it can only connect to the backend satellite devices via EasyMesh and cannot establish a mesh network with the frontend EasyMesh devices.

However, in your topology, both the Archer AXE75 and AX55 support EasyMesh Wired/Ethernet Backhaul already, so you can simply connect them using an Ethernet cable and follow this guide to link them up. There is no need to configure either device in AP Mode.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
a week ago

@Kevin_Z  Hey Kevin, thanks for this update. Do you have an idea if this feature will be backported to AX10/AX1500 sometime? If there is a beta firmwave for AX10/AX1500, I would love to try it. Thanks.

Options
a week ago

@Kevin_Z Finally, you make it. Late, but well done!

Options
a week ago

SahilKr24 wrote

@Kevin_Z  Hey Kevin, thanks for this update. Do you have an idea if this feature will be backported to AX10/AX1500 sometime? If there is a beta firmwave for AX10/AX1500, I would love to try it. Thanks.

@SahilKr24 I’m sorry, but I can only share definitive information with the community.

We do not have beta firmware available for the AX10/AX1500.sad

Options
a week ago

@Kevin_Z Not an issue, will wait for the next official firmware to roll out in hopes of this feature.
I have an TL-ER605v2, Archer AX1500v2 and RE305v4. Since I like the easymesh feature and prefer fast roaming, I'm currently under double NAT as my archer ax1500 is in router mode due to easymesh not being available in AP mode. I hope they add this feature back in AX1500 also so that I can avoid that and use all of easymesh devices without having to double NAT my network. 

Options
a week ago

@SahilKr24 

Understood. Please keep an eye on the firmware updates via your router web or the Tether App for any new releases.

I will also update the thread when new models are supporting EasyMesh in AP Mode.

Options
Tuesday

@Kevin_Z 

Nice Feature!

With 2 new BE800 in my house ... anything in your pipeline?

Options
Tuesday

@Kevin_Z 

That's an outstanding upgrade! Thank you for sharing the information with us. 
I see on both topology described, one of the APs is acting as primary and the other needs to be connected with ethernet or wireless backhaul to it.

What about the scenario where both APs are connected to the gateway switch ports, are you consider to include it as supported:

Options