Troubleshooting What if TP-Link Router Disconnects from Internet?
This Article Applies to:
Some customers may find that the router keeps disconnecting from the internet/modem, the internet LED on the router changes to red/orange, and it will recover automatically after minutes. Manually power off then power on the router can also get the connection back. This article aims to provide solutions to the issue.
- Check and ensure the internet line or ISP modem is stable, bypassing the TP-Link router. Connect the PC directly to the ISP modem (or internet cable from the wall), test and monitor the internet connectivity, and ensure you have a stable connection.
- If the modem internet is stable, please connect the router back to the network, and ensure the Ethernet cable going from the ISP modem to the WAN port of the router is securely connected. Try with another Cat5e/6 cable or change the port of your ISP modem, to where you're connecting the TP-Link router (if possible).
- Check and ensure the router firmware is up-to-date.
- Login to the router web interface when there is no internet, and check if there is still a WAN IP address on the Status page. If yes, go to Advanced > Network > Internet, change the DNS server as follows, then Save and reboot the router to confirm:
5. It's also suggested to clone the MAC address of the computer (or the MAC of the old router) to the TP-Link router if the internet is stable when the computer (or old router) is plugged into the ISP modem directly. Guidance is as follows:
How do I configure MAC Address Clone on my TP-Link Archer Router?
If the disconnect issue persists after checking all the above, it is suggested to comment below, or email email@example.com with the subject [Forum ID 270780] xxx Router Disconnects from the Internet. In either case, be sure to provide the following information:
1. Who is your ISP? What's the model of the modem?
2. What is the WAN connection type on the TP-Link router?
3. Save and email the System Log on the router (System Tools > System Log). Don't reboot the router, if the internet doesn't recover automatically, please login to the router page, go to Advanced > Network > Internet, and click on Connect/Disconnect to recover the connection on the router.