What's this new error message about NVR and SD card recording?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-06 19:26:37
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have had my C200s cameras for several years and I am using them with the Tapo App. Suddenly I've started getting an error message saying:

"Tapo Care works best with one of NVR or SD card recording, not both"

I have no idea what NVR is and how it differs from SD card recording. It then tells me NVR recording has been disabled and I must remove the SD card to restart recording on the NVR.

What is this all about and why has this message suddenly appearted when everything has been working smoothly in the past without this reference to NVR?

Options
4 Reply
Re:What's this new error message about NVR and SD card recording?
2021-09-07 03:03:27 - last edited 2021-09-07 03:05:26

@Ojos  Hello, 

Tapo Care could either work with SD card recording, or NVR recording. 

NVR is a hardware device for the recording and camera management( purchased by users separately), if you do not own it, choosing SD card recording should be fine. 

Please make sure your Tapo APP is up-to-date. 

If the message still occurs, may I have a photo? What is the version of your Tapo APP and model & OS of your phone, thank you. 

Options
2021-09-07 07:38:06

@Solla-topee said:

NVR is a hardware device for the recording and camera management( purchased by users separately), if you do not own it, choosing SD card recording should be fine.

Please make sure your Tapo APP is up-to-date.

If the message still occurs, may I have a photo? What is the version of your Tapo APP and model & OS of your phone, thank you.

@Ojos 

1 I have never heard of NVR until these messages about NVR and SD card recording started appearing yesterday. Please supply me a link that describes NVR, what it is, what it does. I will then know what it is and consider if I might want to purchase and set it up whatever new device NVR is to work with my C200 cameras.

2 I have had my Tapo app installed for a very long time on various devices. I check daily for all updates of all apps on all of my devices so all my apps will always be up to date within 24 hours.

3 A photo of what? As mentioned above I have the app installed on several devices, tablets as well as phones and each one of them gives the identical new message about NVR and SD card recording which I have never seen before in all the years I have used my C200s.

Options
2021-09-09 02:17:43 - last edited 2021-09-09 02:44:37

@Ojos  Hello, 

The Tapo camera supports the standard ONVIF protocol (Profile S) so it could work NVR devices that support the standard ONVIF protocol. 

You could learn more about NVR device from TP-Link NVR products overview from here: 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/search/?q=NVR&t=&category=home

Some users use NVR for centralized management for their IP cameras and video recording, but kindly note that it is not a necessity.

May I have a photo of the message 'Tapo Care works best with one of NVR or SD card recording, not both’ What is the model of your phone and its Android or IOS version? Thank you

Options
2021-09-09 22:22:54

@ Solla-topee

The Tapo camera supports the standard ONVIF protocol (Profile S) so it could work NVR devices that support the standard ONVIF protocol. 

You could learn more about NVR device from TP-Link NVR products overview from here: 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/search/?q=NVR&t=&category=home

Some users use NVR for centralized management for their IP cameras and video recording, but kindly note that it is not a necessity.

May I have a photo of the message 'Tapo Care works best with one of NVR or SD card recording, not both’ What is the model of your phone and its Android or IOS version? Thank you

I have never heard of ONVIF and as I explained before I have never heard of NVR devices which you said I could buy. P,ease show me a picture of an NVR device and give me a link which describes what they do and where I can purchase them. While it may be that NVR is not a necessity for for video recording why is the Tapo app pestering me to remove my SD card from the C200 to enable NVR to work when I have4 no idea what an NVR device looks like.

Why do you need a photo of the error/warning message which my Tapo app continues to pester me with? It is only a text message and not showing any picture. The full message reads:

'Tapo Care works best with one of NVR or SD card recording, not both. At this point. the NVR recording has been disabled. To restart recording on the NVR, remove the SD card from the camera"

This is a message generated by the Tapo app. If you want more information about it why not ask the Tapo (TP-LINK) designers/ support team?

As I have said before, I have a number of phones and tablets and not just a single one. They are Android 10 and Android 11 devices. I have been using the Android operating system for about 15 years on numerous devices. Each of my current Android devices has been fully updated by their manufacturers to the latest Android version that they support and I check the update status regularly. Each of my Android devices has hundreds of apps (including the Tapo app) installed and I check for latest updates on all of them several times a day. Therefore all my apps are 100% up to date in accordance with Google Play policy. Similarly, the firmware in my C200 cameras is reported as being fully up to date.

Is there no one available from from the Tapo app development or support team who can answer my questions and explain what is going on?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2315

Replies: 4

Related Articles