4g/5g router suggestion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

4g/5g router suggestion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
4g/5g router suggestion
4g/5g router suggestion
2021-09-14 21:32:15 - last edited 2021-09-22 08:29:22

Hello,

I am a bit confused while looking to purchase a 4g or 5g router. Basically I don't care so much for 5g, but this is up to the price.

i want to buy a sim router for my cottage to have internet because there is no land line at all. So i have two option either go for an outdoor sim router or an indoor with external antenna. In the house the signal is very poor.

outdoor 4g/5g routers with ip67/68 certification cost about ~400 - 700€ depending on the specs of course.

I was thinking of buying an internal router and add external antenna. The cost as i have checked is not that much, so i was wondering what are the difference of these two approaches.

Can you suggest me an indoor router and compatible external antennas? I am located inEU Greece

thank tou

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:4g/5g router suggestion-Solution
2021-09-19 23:26:03 - last edited 2021-09-22 08:29:22

@Stefan0s 

Hi there,

An external router would be the best solution with Hi Gain Antennas (Less signal loss, but cost more) compared to using an internal unit (More loss, but cost less), it all depends on how far the closest Cell Tower/s are away (& if line of sight) & how strong the signal is @ that location, you would need to do some testing 1st, the other option could be to use a remote repeater on a hill to beam the signal in, (cost is much higher)

Oh & on OMNI compared to Directional Antennas (NON - MIMO & MIMO), Omni Antennas are good if you are in a high signal area with multiple Cell Towers, & a Directional Antenna (LPDA) is good for low signal areas, and the link you posted only has 2.4GHz Antennas (WIFI) not for use on 4G frequencies (4G/+ 700 - 2700MHz & 5G 3800MHz AU)

Here is some information on Antennas that I posted, which may help too...... https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/272342

John vk3hjq

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:4g/5g router suggestion
2021-09-15 03:09:17

@Stefan0s 

Hi, here are some models for your reference:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/3g-4g-router/

But there are no recommended external antennas and luckily, sometimes some users would share their experience about the antennas. Please have a look at the following link:

LPDA MIMO & Non-MIMO Antenna Information AU - VK3HJQ

Options
2021-09-15 06:17:37

@TP-Link thank you for your response.

MR600 v2 looks like a very good option for me. Has all the specs i need for CAT6 ~300MBs and Gigabit Ethernet. I also see that this model has two antennas Main and Aux. I need to buy two MIMO external antennas and replace?

I would appreciate if somebody can share his knowledge for an external 4G antenna. 

Options
2021-09-18 14:27:49

@TP-Link 

Hello,

I see that tp-link provide OMNI and MIMO antennas here: https://www.tp-link.com/gr/business-networking/antenna-and-accessory/

So there is no official response if they are compatible or not? I understand that both should be compatitble and OMNI is prefered.

Options
2021-09-18 14:48:31

@Stefan0s 

Hi,

I believe the antennas on the webpage you've linked to are all 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi antennas and are not designed to be used as 4G (LTE) antennas.

Options
2021-09-18 18:38:40

@woozle 

Hello,

I think you are right 4G use 800-2500MHz. So i understand that i need either a 4G LPDA Antenna OR an OMNI Antenna. I have found an amazon seller that provide both options HERE but i don't know what i should buy N-Female or F-Female? I have to buy two of them, right?

Also in the area i want to deploy seems to have two Cellular provider antennas, the one is North side about 12km and the other one South side about 10km. I think for that scenario is better to buy a directional antenna, correct? For my understanding that i am not at all familliar with that subject, directional antennas have better reception and preferred if you are not in a city. Whether OMNI antennas are for cities, boats that have many cellular antennas to connect to or there is not option for direct signal communication.

Options
2021-09-19 17:09:49

@Stefan0s 

For stationary use in a remote location a directional antenna would give better results. However, on a boat or other moving object you would still have to use an omni-directional antenna.

The type of connector on the antenna itself doesn't really matter, but the ends of the cables that connect to the router will have to be the proper SMA type to fit onto the sockets of your MR600 router.

If you buy single antennas with only one cable connector, then you will need two of them. But there are also special MIMO antennas being sold that already include two antennas. Maybe search for "4g antenna mimo sma".

Options
Re:4g/5g router suggestion-Solution
2021-09-19 23:26:03 - last edited 2021-09-22 08:29:22

@Stefan0s 

Hi there,

An external router would be the best solution with Hi Gain Antennas (Less signal loss, but cost more) compared to using an internal unit (More loss, but cost less), it all depends on how far the closest Cell Tower/s are away (& if line of sight) & how strong the signal is @ that location, you would need to do some testing 1st, the other option could be to use a remote repeater on a hill to beam the signal in, (cost is much higher)

Oh & on OMNI compared to Directional Antennas (NON - MIMO & MIMO), Omni Antennas are good if you are in a high signal area with multiple Cell Towers, & a Directional Antenna (LPDA) is good for low signal areas, and the link you posted only has 2.4GHz Antennas (WIFI) not for use on 4G frequencies (4G/+ 700 - 2700MHz & 5G 3800MHz AU)

Here is some information on Antennas that I posted, which may help too...... https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/272342

John vk3hjq

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-22 08:07:17

@Stefan0s 

John vk3hjq

Options
2021-09-23 22:43:08

@Stefan0s 

John vk3hjq