VR2100 parental controls problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-15 07:58:28 - last edited 2021-09-16 03:32:57
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 210722 Rel.37847n

I purchased this primarily for the parental controls and set the modem / router up easily enough on TalkTalk. All worked as expected.

I've been unable to set the parental controls up though. I would like to prevent bedtime access on 1 PC. Assigning the MAC and setting a schedule with an empty whitelist allows this, but there is strange behaviour outside the scheduled hours.

When testing outside the scheduled hours (I.e. times not highlighted in the calendar) Google searches work but there is no other connectivity at all.

I've tried different DNSs, tried static IP address amongst other things, but fundamentally there is no internet outside of the schedule.

I read Access Control may be an alternative to this, but the software on this device, unlike some other tp link products, does not seem to allow scheduled access control (unless I've missed it somewhere).

Router itself works fine, and I'm getting better VDSL speeds and better WiFi than with the TalkTalk router, so that's a positive, but really a waste if time for me if I can't get the parental controls working.

Think I've tried just about every permutation of options but out of ideas now! Appreciate any suggestions.

Options
6 Reply
Re:VR2100 parental controls problem
2021-09-16 07:44:56

@Bamba 

Here's how to use Parental Control on your device. Pay attention on the notes in red at the end of the guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-09-16 16:01:34
I also have the same problem with the same product (Vr600 Ac 2100) and the technical support here in my country (Egypt) is useless and time wasters either those on live chat or in calls. They didn't even understand the problem and give me silly solutions like restarting the router or reset it.
Options
2021-09-17 09:19:20

@terziyski 

I've followed the instructions to the letter & tried flushing DNS too as recommended.

None of this helps. Regardless of what time I have scheduled the controls for they apply 100% of the time. They apply both during the Effective Period as well as outside of the Effective Period.

This is using a blank whitelist to attempt zero access outside of the given hours.

Same applies for all devices I have attempted this on, PCs and phones, wired & WiFi.

I have confirmed the Effective Times have been properly set by viewing the parental controls after they have been saved. I have also checked the date / time settings on the router.

Options
2021-09-17 09:53:07

@Bamba 

The other thing that may cause this behavior could be the private MAC address security mechanism used to prevent device tracking.

Synopsis of Parental Control not working when the devices are using private (random) MAC address.

Here's how to mitigate on different devices and OS's (including Win 10).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-09-17 10:05:55 - last edited 2021-09-17 10:07:33

@Bamba @Mohamed 

Thank you for your time and patience.
I have seen this post as well:https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/277148
I have provided my email address for you.
Could you both help me confirm the following information for me:
1. Some screenshots about the detailed parental control settings--or you could backup and export the current configuration file for me.
2. The system logs from the modem.

Thank you again.

Options
2021-10-09 19:43:53

@TP-Link still wait for any useful solution but only careless

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1230

Replies: 6

Related Articles