[Solution] Devices connect to WiFi (2.4G/5G) but have no internet access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-15 13:47:03 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:38:21
Model: Archer VR1600v  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 210413 Rel.19548n

I've come across many people who have had this issue but was unable to find anywhere with a solution. Hopefully this helps a few desperate people.

This Article applied to:

Archer VR1600v v2.0 00000000

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

Devices are able to connect to WiFi but cannot browse the internet (or very slow to browse the internet). Initially the WiFi was operating perfectly, then suddenly stopped, or slowed down to a point where it was unusable.

Things I attempted during troubleshooting (which did not work) Things I discovered while troubleshooting that gave me hope!
  • Reboot Archer (multiple times)
  • Restore factory defaults (multiple times)
  • Hard reset / restart ios devices
  • Forget and reconnect to WiFi
  • Renew lease on ios devices
  • Change WiFi channels/widths/security versions and encryption
  • Only ran 2.4G or 5G seperately
  • Scoured the forums for hours
  • The Archer was in a closet (apartment block allocated space)
  • The Archer was warm to hot in temperature
  • Devices could not access the internet, but COULD access the Archer's settings.
  • iOS devices could not access the internet wirelessly, but my WINDOWS LAPTOP could!

I worked out that the two main issues I had were:

a) Speed - likely due to the Archers operating temperature (hotter the router, the slower the internet) and also it's location (behind a wall and mirrored closet).

b) Access - ALL devices could connect, but only some could access the internet, and all could get to the Archers settings page. Must be due to a configuration issue.

Solution:

Speed Resolution Access Resolution

I moved the Archer out into a well ventilated area.

The temperature dropped and relocating away from large walls improved the speed.

I discovered that the network DNS settings on the Archer are marked as OPTIONAL and are by default set to 0.0.0.0

1. Get the address of the Archer. You can do this by checking the IP of your connected device or computer and then choosing the first in the IP series, eg: if my computers IP is 192.168.1.22 then my Archers IP address is likely 192.168.1.1
    Another example: if my computers IP is 192.168.0.22 then my Archers IP address is likely 192.168.0.1
  2. Access the Archer's settings by opening your web browser and entering the Archers IP address in the internet address bar and press enter.
  3. Log into the Archer with the username and password (if unchanged, look under the device to see the sticker with the details).
  4. Click Advanced
  5. Click Network
  6. Click LAN Settings
  7. Change the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS to your internet providers DNS servers. You can find yours by google searching for the provider name + dns. In Australia this site is great: https://dnschecker.org/dns/Australia
  8. Click Save

ALL my devices could now connect AND browse the internet!

Hopefully this helps many of you who like me, could not find any way to fix this.

Best of luck!

KP.

Options
5 Reply
Re:[Solution] Devices connect to WiFi (2.4G/5G) but have no internet access
2021-09-16 01:04:40 - last edited 2021-09-16 03:53:04

@kittenpants 

Excellent and it is very useful and I am sure it would help a lot of users.

And sometimes modifying the MTU to be 1440/1460 on the modem would also help.

Advanced>network>internet>internet connections>WAN interface name and “modify”

Since the shared case is closely related to Apple devices, there are more supplementary suggestions shared by others for reference:

https://www.igeeksblog.com/iphone-connected-to-wi-fi-but-no-internet/

Thank you very much!

Options
2021-11-17 12:03:36
No
Options
2021-11-17 12:04:52
Wifi no intenet
Options
2021-11-19 06:42:13

@Vuljeu 

Hi, would you mind providing more details about your case, like the model number of your device?

Did the internet and DSL light turn on?

Options
2021-11-19 19:43:07

@Vuljeu 

Not to be too basic here, but a refresher in just what it takes to make that Internet Conncetion may be in order.

Unless you have an "all in one" Modem/Router, you have two separate devices. A "router" such as a TP Link device and a "modem" that your actual cable from the cable company screws onto. I am with Comcast for Interrnet/TV; you may be with AT&T or Satellite service. But that linking device is the gateway to the Internet. Your Router (I have a Deco X20 at the moment) simply sends out the signal from it to your WIFI devices. It doesn't care if you have an Internet Connection or not. 

The signal from your Router (TPLinkl) is passing along the Non-Connected signal it is receiving from your MODEM.

Typically, your Service Provider (Comcast, in my case) has to authorize the MODEM. Even if you didn't change the MODEM, your new ROUTER may have become disassociated with your MODEM.

I just went through this issue when I upgraded my MODEM to one that supports GIG Speeds. It sounds to me that your solution is to make sure your provider has the MAC Address of your MODEM so it can link to whatever Internet service you are signed up for. Then your ROUTER, which appears to working just fine, can pass along the Internet signal.

All the above in one sentence: The problem is with your MODEM, not your ROUTER. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1831

Replies: 5