Votes

Range Extenders Support OneMesh/EasyMesh in AP Mode

Votes

Range Extenders Support OneMesh/EasyMesh in AP Mode

229 Reply
Re:Range Extenders Support OneMesh/EasyMesh in AP Mode
2023-11-28 20:50:37

@EngineerX agreed - I've been a TP-LINK loyalist for years now, but this has definitely been an eye opener for me

Options
2023-11-29 02:38:12

Hi, Normally, the Archer routers and extenders will need to support Easymesh first, then support EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul.

@Eightball11854 ,I see Archer AX90, RE505x and RE815X haven't supported EasyMesh yet. I think it still needs quite a while.

You might notice we do not often reply to ETA-related questions as we often lack updated information regarding timelines ourselves. The engineers are quite cautious of predicting the release date and we will not be informed unless the official firmware is expected to be ready within the next few months.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2023-11-29 08:05:08 - last edited 2023-11-29 09:13:11

Hi @David-TP!

I'm not fully sure if my Ethernet Backhaul should be already working or not, because both devices: AX55 and RE705X apparently already support Easy Mesh according to this list: support list. I was following this guide "https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3801/", but the moment I plug the Ethernet cable into my RE, the device goes offline randomly for no reason, which makes the wifi connection very unstable. Will AX55 and RE705X also receive this Ethernet Backhaul update "soon" or is it already released for my devices? " Hi, RE315_V1 will start supporting Ethernet Backhaul for EasyMesh and the official firmware will be released very soon."

Options
2023-11-29 12:15:27 - last edited 2023-11-29 12:19:19

Hey @David-TP!

After some investigation, I was able to find the firmware update for my AX55 https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/636954.

After this update, I'm able to see the Easy Mesh devices, and my RE705X is connected via the Ethernet Backhoul. But the problem as I have mentioned above, is the Wifi connection becomes so unstable and keeps disconnecting every minute or so, that I have to remove the Ethernet cable from my RE and connect my RE wirelessly.  Are you guys aware of this issue?

RE705X

Version:

1.1.4 Build 20230509 Rel. 78185

Options
2023-11-30 01:59:04

@Ernis 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback. I haven't noticed RE705X could create EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul and will check with the engineers first. The release note of RE705X_1.1.4 did not mention anything about Ethernet Backhaul. I think something on the latest beta of AX55 might change it and the instability of Ethernet Backhaul on RE705X could also be related.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2023-11-30 02:21:50

@David-TP am I correct in my understanding that the only range extenders that have easymesh with ethernet backhaul are the range extenders under "applies to" on this page? Which currently is RE315? Just because a range extender support easymesh doesn't mean it supports ethernet overhaul. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3801/

Options
2023-11-30 08:24:52 - last edited 2023-11-30 08:49:04

@Dage90 

Yes, you are right.---"Just because a range extender support Easymesh doesn't mean it supports Ethernet Backhaul. "

I think I might need to explain more and hope I don't make you more confused.

Actually, I edited the subject a few days ago. Previously, the request is "OneMesh Supports Ethernet Backhaul".

"Ethernet Backhaul" is borrowed from Deco Mesh which represents creating Mesh over Ethernet Connection. But for Onemesh/EasyMesh extenders, they only support OneMesh/EasyMesh in range extender mode not in Access Point. So many users actually hope OneMesh/EasyMesh is also available in Access Point mode.

The reason I changed the subject because, when the extenders, like RE315 starts supporting Ethernet Backhaul, It is still under the range extender mode, not Access Point mode.

In other words,  OneMesh/EasyMesh will not be available in Access Point mode. But EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul will be a workaround.

Options
2023-11-30 08:45:36

@David-TP thank you for the explanation. What did you mean by "browsed?" Is that a typo? 

I think people are asking for easymesh/onemesh support in access point mode because the only way to have ethernet backhaul currently on the range extenders is to use it in access point mode. 

My current configuration is an AX55 in router mode and a RE605X in access point mode connected via an ethernet cable to the AX55, with the same SSID. Which for the most part works, but sometimes my devices will be sticky and not disconnect from the range extender or the wireless router, which is what easymesh with ethernet backhaul would fix. 

An I correct in my understanding? 

Options
2023-11-30 08:51:36
You are right. That is precisely what EasyMesh/OneMesh would do. Allows your devices to jump without problems between two APs.
Options
2023-11-30 09:10:52 - last edited 2023-11-30 09:11:09

@Dage90 Hi, Thanks! yes, a typo. Sorry, I mean "borrowed".

I think you understand it properly. When RE605X is in Access Point with the same SSID as the AX55, it is not actually a true Mesh. I would not definitely say it could complete a fix but I am certain EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul would improve the overal roaming performance, considering there are feedback occasionally that certain smart home devices are stick to a certain Deco Mesh node even though there is a closer one.

Options

Voters 124

+ 120 Voters