WIFI AP Isolation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WIFI AP Isolation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WIFI AP Isolation
WIFI AP Isolation
2021-11-17 19:06:17
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.3.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 200226 RC.65147n

I'm trying to isolate the WIFI clients from the network. I saw that in the help menu:

If you want to confine and restrict all wireless devices connected to the network from interacting with each other, but still able to access the Internet, select the checkbox to enable AP Isolation.

I activated the AP Isolation for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, but they can still connect to each other and LAN devices. I don't see any difference if the AP Isolation is turned on or off... 

How can I isolate the WIFI clients from the network? Why the AP Isolation isn't working?

Options
11 Reply
Re:WIFI AP Isolation
2021-11-17 19:39:40

@nrofis 

I believe that AP isolation is to isolate the devices on a particular wireless band so they can't connect to each other.

For example if you tick AP Isolation for 2.4GHz that means all device on that band can't see each other.

Sames goes for 5GHz band.

But in the end 2.4GHz wireless devices could still see 5GHz devices and the ethernet cable connected devices.

And vice versa: 5GHz wireless devices could still see 2.4GHz devices and the ethernet cable connected devices.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-17 20:15:51

@terziyski Thanks, so the "If you want to confine and restrict all wireless devices connected to the network from interacting with each other" is misleading...

Is there any way to isolate wireless devices from the network? So they wouldn't see other LAN and WIFI clients (no matter which band)

Options
2021-11-17 20:26:47 - last edited 2021-11-18 15:41:02

@nrofis 

Well, that's still valid for a single band router and it's valid among wireless devices only.

I don't believe you can achieve that on a dual band router (between bands).

Here's an interesting solution but it's for VR600 HW v3, not sure if that will work on HW v2 device (you can test that).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-11-19 07:14:52

@nrofis 

Yes, the interface grouping is worth a try since Archer VR600 supports interface grouping as well.

As the configuration:

group 1: WAN interface+2.4ghz Wi-Fi with AP isolation enabled.

group 2: WAN interface+5ghz Wi-Fi with AP isolation enabled.

group 3: WAN interface+LAN1/2/3/4

Please let us know whether it is working or not.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-19 08:26:31 - last edited 2021-11-19 08:27:56

@TP-Link , thanks but:

1. For some reason I don't have any WAN interfaces in the Interface Grouping panel (image below)

2. Is the Interface Grouping can isolate the WIFI clients from each other as well, even if they are in the same group?

Options
2021-11-19 09:17:05

@nrofis 

Hi,

For issue one, can you see any WAN interface profile under the internet?

--if yes, but still nothing under interface grouping, please wait for a while and I need to check with the senior engineers.

For issue two, the answer is no, and interface grouping would not separate devices in the same group. So I suggest you enable the AP isolation together with interface grouping.

But now it seemed like we failed at the first stepblush.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-19 09:59:00

@TP-Link yes, I have PPPoE active connection in the WAN interface, but nothing in the interface grouping.

But I also want to fully isolation for WIFI cliens, is there any way to achieve that?

Options
2021-11-19 12:17:30

@nrofis 

That's the point of using the Interface Grouping (Group Isolation enabled in conjuction with AP Isolation enabled):

group 1: WAN interface+2.4ghz Wi-Fi with AP isolation enabled.

group 2: WAN interface+5ghz Wi-Fi with AP isolation enabled.

group 3: WAN interface+LAN1/2/3/4

Do you have any already existing Interface Grouping configured, can you post a screenshot ?

Options
2021-11-19 12:56:19

@terziyski 
> That's the point of using the Interface Grouping (Group Isolation enabled in conjuction with AP Isolation enabled)

But I also want that the WIFI clients will not be able to communicate with each other as well (even in the same group). So each WIFI client will only get an internet connection but will be fully disconnected from the home netwrok.

Do you have any already existing Interface Grouping configured, can you post a screenshot ?

No, just the Default one:

When I try to add a group, I don't see WAN connections:

But I have WAN configured:

Options
2021-11-19 14:20:33 - last edited 2021-11-19 14:21:11

nrofis wrote

@terziyski 
> That's the point of using the Interface Grouping (Group Isolation enabled in conjuction with AP Isolation enabled)

But I also want that the WIFI clients will not be able to communicate with each other as well (even in the same group). So each WIFI client will only get an internet connection but will be fully disconnected from the home netwrok.

@nrofis 

"But I also want that the WIFI clients will not be able to communicate with each other as well (even in the same group)."

That's where the AP Isolation comes in.

"So each WIFI client will only get an internet connection but will be fully disconnected from the home netwrok."

That's where the Group Isolation comes in.

As @TP-Link wrote already - lets wait so he can consult with their engineers on how this could be configured in your case (if possible).

Options