TP-Link RE450 with Helium Miner Sensecap M1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-30 19:55:52 - last edited 2022-01-06 12:06:01
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

Hi Community,

I bought myself a TP-Link RE450 yesterday so I can connect my Helium Sensecap M1 miner (located outdoors) with my WiFi 5ghz.

For the Helium Miner I had to reserve an IP adress on my router which is needed to open a port (44158).

When I first installed the repeater and connected the Helium Miner all was well and in the Tether app I could also see the reserved IP adress of the miner.

A few hours later I noted that the miner was no longer online. I checked the Tether app and a new IP (xxx.100) has been assigned to the miner. As on this new IP no ports are open the Minder went offline. I don't see the new IP on my Router settings (I only see the IP of the repeater but not the IPs of the connected devices with the repeater.

As soon as I reconnect the miner directly with the Wifi ,it uses as usual the reserved IP for which also the ports are open.

Anyone has an idea why the TP-Link assignes a new IP to the Miner and how I can change the settings in the repeater that the reserved IP of the Miner is used?
I have no other devices connected on the repeater, it is solely used for the Miner.

Any help on this is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Wipkinge 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link RE450 with Helium Miner Sensecap M1-Solution
2021-12-03 19:32:25 - last edited 2022-01-06 12:06:01

Hi @Solla-topee 

thank you for your response, very appreciated.

The DHCP setting was the solution! I deactivated it and it immediately worked. Thank you!

However, next issue arised: On my Helium Miner the NAT Type changed to "symmetric". As soon as I connect the Miner directly with the WiFi, the NAT Type is "None".

With symmetric the mining does not work properly and the income is massively reduced. Any idea why the NAT Type is different on the Repeater and how I could change it to "None"?

Cheers

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link RE450 with Helium Miner Sensecap M1
2021-12-03 09:56:14 - last edited 2022-02-10 06:53:49

Hello@Wipkinge 

Thank you for writing a very detailed and clear post!

May I know when issue happen, how about the Led Status on RE450? 

1. To troubleshoot RE instability: 

If  the Wi-Fi LEDs are On the extender, you could follow Case1 in below thread, set up a static IP for range extender and configure RE DHCP settings for extender and see if that  help improve the stability. [Troubleshooting] Range Extender Keeps Losing Connection

2. Another thing that may affect your IP reservation set-up :In Extender mode, RE works as a proxy,  it will replace each of its clients’ MAC address with a virtual MAC address generated automatically by Range Extender. Thus, on router web page you will see the virtual Mac address of device, you could set up IP reservation for Miner's virtual Mac address not real Mac. 

To avoid the virtual Mac, you could use RE as an Access Point (wired to main router):

How to setup Access Point Mode of Range Extender?

Options
Re:TP-Link RE450 with Helium Miner Sensecap M1-Solution
2021-12-03 19:32:25 - last edited 2022-01-06 12:06:01

Hi @Solla-topee 

thank you for your response, very appreciated.

The DHCP setting was the solution! I deactivated it and it immediately worked. Thank you!

However, next issue arised: On my Helium Miner the NAT Type changed to "symmetric". As soon as I connect the Miner directly with the WiFi, the NAT Type is "None".

With symmetric the mining does not work properly and the income is massively reduced. Any idea why the NAT Type is different on the Repeater and how I could change it to "None"?

Cheers

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-09 12:48:59 - last edited 2021-12-09 12:55:53

Hello @Wipkinge  Sorry for the late update, Extender itself is not a NAT device like a router and should not block any port or service.

So far I could not think of settings on extender that may cause it, you may contact Helium Miner support to confirm and get some more professional suggestion: 

1. If "symmetric" NAT type on miner will affect Miner performance 

2. What settings that could cause a "symmetric" NAT type and their suggestion.

May I know did the Miner show NAT type as "symmetric" before you disable RE DHCP?  For a test you may turn on RE DHCP and set an small IP range on RE DHCP as the above thread I posted and see if that helps. 

Options
2022-01-31 23:49:59
Hi @Wipkinge, I am having similar issue, have you managed to get the NAT Type back to "None"? Also do you know if DECO N4 or E4 works with Helium Sensecap M1 miner @ 2.4 GHz? Thanks,
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3383

Replies: 4

Related Articles