Deco X60 Causing High CPU on Fritzbox

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-08 21:08:18
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hello team,

Could you please help me on this subject:

I have installed the Deco X60 in my home network (December 2021), and since then i have several issues with the Internet connection (POST Luxembourg). I have set the X60 as access points to avoid double DHCP, to make it simple... in this matter, the PPPOE connection and DHCP server is manage by the Fritzbox 7530.

The main issue here is that during the day, the CPU on Fritzbox goes super high since this installation... and super quiet during the night (since there is no activitiy on the WIFI).

Network Configuration:

- Bouding Router for 2 DSL Lines

- Fritzbox 7350 Dealing with PPPOE and DHCP

- TP-Link SG3428X for Network Distribution

- Deco X60 connected to the Switch, and the remaining Deco's in each floor connected with Wifi to Main Deco

Help is appreciated, i have spent like 290€ on this pack, i still not believe that was a waste of money (yet...), the mesh network works super fine without any single drops, but the internet connection is really killing it... and i need help from the community / TPlink to sort this issue out.

Cheers ;)

SnowTuffs

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco X60 Causing High CPU on Fritzbox
2022-02-09 06:01:48

@SnowTuffs 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I am a little curious how you find out Deco caused the high CPU load of Fritzbox?

Maybe after installing the Deco Mesh, more clients joined the network, such as smart home devices, and need more CPU capacity?

And how much CPU load on the Fritzbox during the day and night?

Can you tell me more details about what issues you have after the CPU of Fritzbox reached a high level?

Options
2022-02-09 08:20:13

@TP-Link 

Hello,

Because before we install the Decos, this behavior was not reflected on my network... and i already change the Fritzbox (I have 3).

Indeed once the new clients joins he Fritzbox maybe it requires additional CPU, but not during one/two hours in 91%... which is basically struggling the router:

- Ping Goes High

- SpeedTest goes low (less then 10Mb) in a 100Mb Internet Connection

- Work VPN is almost not responding, which means sometimes it's disconnected and i need to reopen everything in my work laptop.

This is basically the behavior that i have, and for example if we are playing also a game in the iPad or something, the game is basically starting to get really slow and it's disconnected as well.

I'm a bit lost here, so that's why i have join this community because coincidence or not... this behavior started after the Deco installation.

Hope it helps :)

Cheers,

SnowTuffs

Options
2022-02-09 09:31:53

@SnowTuffs 

Thank you for the detailed information.

It did help us learn more about this issue but it is not clear what might be the problem.

As for the Fritzbox, did you turn its Wi-Fi off and leave Deco to deal with all the wireless networks?

Could you please log into the web UI: http://tplinkdeco.net and check the CPU load on the main Deco as well?

By the way, how many wireless clients are on the Deco APP online list, and are you able to check on the Fritzbox what is the amount of clients(both wired and wireless)?

Have you ever checked with Fritzbox about whether there are any settings on the Fritzbox management page that could tell more details about the CPU load, such as the specific traffic data categories?

Options
2022-02-09 09:49:03

@TP-Link 

Your welcome,

Indeed, i have disabled the Wifi connection on the Fritzbox and everything is managed by Deco X60 Wireless point of view, but the DHCP will be always from the Fritzbox.

For the moment i have my decos switched of to see if have any improvement, i'm running on 4G right now on my phones and cable on my laptops, but yesterday the CPU load was around 10% and memory was around 55%.

For the Decos we have around 15 devices in Wifi and 10 more relied on cable, so basically i can see between 20 and 25 DHCP connections on my router.

The problem of this Fritzbox it that they do not give you any big log details (unfortunatelly), only with Packet trace which generates a wiresharck file which for me its not really easy to understand and i do not know what i should look for to be honest.

I also did a small check on my switch, and i have also enable the IGMP Snooping Globally and Port, please find below the configurations that i did:

So i'm wondering what i'm missing here, it's really annoying :D

Cheers,

SnowTuffs

Options
2022-02-10 15:45:27

@TP-Link,

I just want to share a quick update on this subject.

Since i have disconnected my Deco's X60 from my network, i had no more CPU spikes on my Fritzbox... which brings me to the conclusion that something is maybe going on into the Mesh software that is causing maybe some Brodcast/Multicast issues.

Can you give me a hand and try to understand what's going on? I really don't want to give up on this Mesh Network, but i need TP-Link Support on this situation please.

Cheers,

Snow Tuffs

Options
2022-02-11 02:37:43

@SnowTuffs 

Hi, Thank you for the notification.

For your case, I would like to forward it to the senior engineers, and please refer to the email for further assistance.

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 647

Replies: 6

Related Articles