Deco X60 "Smart" features causing unstable internet connectivity?

2024-03-28 10:29:19 - last edited 2024-07-01 06:15:39
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20240106 Rel. 2319

I had an old TP-Link router for 10 years, which worked excellently. I wanted to upgrade to WiFi 6 and Mesh, so I spent €350 to pick up a pack of three Deco X60 due to my previous positive history with the brand.

Now every few times I turn on my computer, TV, or anything else that has been disconnected from the WiFi for a longer time, they are unable to reconnect to the internet.

After about 5-10 minutes, the connection "picks up" suddenly, and internet starts flowing to the device.

• While the device is struggling to reconnect, other already connected devices are happily browsing without issue.
  • The device is connected to the WiFi, but with "limited, no internet access", and is not listed under Connected Devices in the Deco interface.
  • I have never had a connected device "lose" their connection, only issue has been with reconnecting.
  • It seems to only happen to devices that are already known to the network - not if it's the first time a device connects.
  • This has happened all my devices at least twice.
    • Devices include Samsung TV, Chromecast, iOS Phone, Android Phone, iPad, MacBook.
    • Always the same symptoms, one device at a time.

I thought maybe the issue could be with having multiple routers competing in a small area, so I tried downgrading to a single router. I turned off "Fast Roaming", "Beamforming", turned off "Mesh Technology" on individual connected devices. All the fancy features (and some would say, the reasons for buying these routers) are all off, but still, every 3rd time I turn on my TV, computer, or phone, I have to wait 5-10 minutes before the WiFi accepts the reconnection.

Since the WiFi is visibly "connected" on the affected device, it is as if the Deco router lags behind and only refreshes its internal list of devices every X minutes. I don't suspect there is a solution to this unless TP-Link sorts it in a firmware update. And that's assuming this isn't a hardware problem.

This is causing a lot of frustration and I'm worried this is will end up being e-waste and money down the drain.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X60 "Smart" features causing unstable internet connectivity?-Solution
2024-07-01 06:15:25 - last edited 2024-07-01 06:32:22

Update! I think I found a solution to my specific issue.

The other week when my wifi was not allowing connections for several minutes I frustratingly went into the Deco app settings once more to dig deeper.

When I went to Advanced -> Operation Mode I found that my main router was ser to WiFi Router rather than Access Point. Since my Deco-network is wire-connected to an existing router (outside of my control) I realized this was not the correct setting.

I changed the Operation Mode to be Access Point, and all the issues went away instantly, with all the fancy features enabled.

Turning of Mesh Technology did definitely help to some extent before, but that must've been a false positive. Now in Access Point mode, the Mesh Technology setting does not seem to have any negative impact.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco X60 "Smart" features causing unstable internet connectivity?
2024-03-29 09:46:55

@skavank 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Could you please help me run the following test to see whether it helped:

1. Please unplug the two satellite Deco X60 and leave the main Deco powered only.

2. Turn off the 2.4GHz band under the Main WiFi Network, and enable IOT for the 2.4Ghz network.

Then on the mobile devices again to see whether they still experienced a similar issue.

By the way, May I know the model number of your old TP-Link router?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-04-08 20:54:23 - last edited 2024-04-09 10:46:54

@David-TP Hello David! Thanks for your reply!

1. I have already downgraded to a single device, the issue remains unchanged unfortunately.

2. I have turned off dual band! I will try with 5GHz only for now to see if it makes a difference.

I just realized I made a mistake, I previously owned a D-Link 868L, so I apparently have no previous experience with TP-Link - I mistook TP-Link for D-Link!

Thanks!

Options
2024-04-09 08:17:57 - last edited 2024-04-09 08:18:32

skavank wrote

@David-TP Hello David!

1. I have already downgraded to a single device, as I wrote in my first post. The issue remains unchanged.

2. Sounds like you are suggesting I turn off dual band. I've run dual band on all routers I've set up with no issues. I live in an old building with thick walls, so I would like to keep the 2.4GHz for when in the room furthest away, and to my understanding 2.4GHz travels better through obstructions.

I will try with 5GHz only for now to see if it makes a difference, but if it does, that's not a good thing since I've essentially had to turn a smart router dumb.

@skavank 

This is called troubleshooting. Often there are stages between "step 1" and "problem found" that don't reflect the ultimate solution, kind of like how cleaning up a cluttered space often looks more chaotic before everything is sorted and organized. In this situation, you're finding out what exactly happens when only 1 Deco is in the equation, and finding out whether switching from a single dual-band SSID to different SSIDs for 2.4GHz vs 5GHz (via the IoT Network feature) makes any improvement.

Usually it's beneficial to approach irritating problems in life with a little politeness for the people attempting to help you. People will be more likely to enjoy working with you and therefore be more invested in getting you a satisfactory solution, and it's less likely you'll come across as really just wanting to complain for its own sake. Here you've assumed you fully understood the thought process behind the support rep's suggestions (which, I assure you, you did not) - so at best, no value is added to the process by grumbling about downgrading to 1 Deco and changing some wifi band settings, and at worst, you've ended up even more annoyed and unhappy by proactively imagining a negative outcome.

And while this last point doesn't seem to matter to many people, being polite and respectful when someone is trying to help you is simply the right thing to do. I can promise with confidence that you won't be on your death bed someday regretting that you hadn't been sufficiently angry and irritable toward other people.

Options
2024-04-09 10:32:20 - last edited 2024-04-09 10:46:07

@jbdub82 I apologize if my posts here have come off as hostile. WiFi connectivity issues can be very frustrating, as I'm sure we all know. I agree with you that anger does not help in these situations, and a support rep trying to help is only a very nice thing. I reformatted my reply to be less angry :)

I will argue though, that If the "issue" turns out to have been having Dual band enabled, or Mesh Technology, or Beamforming, that's not a good thing - that signals that the devices are working poorly, which is cause for concern! One always want the latest and greatest to work better than before.

It's hard to troubleshoot this, as it only happens a few times a week, but I'm on a baseline now where every smart feature is turned off, and I'm on a single band (5GHz). We'll see if this makes any difference!

Options
2024-05-24 15:47:00 - last edited 2024-05-24 15:47:53

After a while testing the barebones approach of turning off all the features, which worked a bit better (although never perfect) I decided to try turning on the mesh technology setting for choice devices again, and there's a clear noticeable worsening when trying to connect.

Googling around it seems that the Mesh Technology setting is known to cause issues... Is something wrong with my devices, or is that just how it is?

(Currently writing this from my cellular as my mesh router refuses to accept my phone's connection)

Options
2024-06-11 18:08:24

I don't seem to be getting any replies on this thread, but I will just report my findings.

I seems relatively clear that the "Mesh Technology" setting is the culprit here, sometimes causing devices to connect to the wifi, but not receive internet for minutes at a time. It happens on my TVs, computers, tablets and phones.

What is the solution here, should we accept that the connection is poor, disable Mesh Technology manually, or is ther something wrong with my devices? Is there a go-to answer?

Options
Re:Deco X60 "Smart" features causing unstable internet connectivity?-Solution
2024-07-01 06:15:25 - last edited 2024-07-01 06:32:22

Update! I think I found a solution to my specific issue.

The other week when my wifi was not allowing connections for several minutes I frustratingly went into the Deco app settings once more to dig deeper.

When I went to Advanced -> Operation Mode I found that my main router was ser to WiFi Router rather than Access Point. Since my Deco-network is wire-connected to an existing router (outside of my control) I realized this was not the correct setting.

I changed the Operation Mode to be Access Point, and all the issues went away instantly, with all the fancy features enabled.

Turning of Mesh Technology did definitely help to some extent before, but that must've been a false positive. Now in Access Point mode, the Mesh Technology setting does not seem to have any negative impact.

Recommended Solution
Options