Votes

Web UI Configuration

Web UI Configuration
Web UI Configuration
2022-02-09 10:53:18 - last edited 2023-11-17 03:20:30
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The initial plan of the Deco Whole Mesh system is to configure via Deco APP as we hope to provide a super-easy installation and non-high tech required experience.

Due to this commitment, Deco APP allows us to quickly and easily install Mesh Wi-Fi System by just following the step-by-step set-up wizard. Some users commented, ”This thing literally holds your hand through the full setup. 99% of people will hit next, next, next, and you are on the internet” which is just what we want.

Next, Deco App allows monitoring the home Wi-Fi from anywhere without bringing a laptop and making changes right from your smartphone or tablet. So as long as taking your smartphone with you, the home network activity is under your control.

Then, with a few taps on the APP, the advanced features, like Parental Control, Port Forwarding, and QoS are ready to go.

Moreover, when it comes to firmware upgrades, the Deco APP will automatically push a message when new firmware is ready. All you need to do is click “Update Deco”.

While, with the time going on, we gradually received some feedback that users hope Deco could be configured via web UI or more advanced features could be configured on the web interface. Unfortunately, there has been no plan to add these features yet.

But we are open to any feedback and would be appreciated it if you could let us know why you prefer web configuration to APP setup. So we would collect more brilliant ideas which might be taken into consideration along with the future APP upgrade.

Thank you very much for your attention and please feel free to comment below.

Options
303 Reply
Re:Web UI Configuration
2022-05-26 15:10:13 - last edited 2022-05-26 15:17:40

@TP-Link 

A web interface with all "normal" router settings and configurations is crucial to many of us.  It's nice to be able to use the app for some of your advanced features, but it's super inconvenient to stare at my phone or tablet to do everything.  I prefer to sit down with a mouse, keyboard, and monitor to administrate my network, as is traditional, as do many, many others.

The ease of use of the web interface on a low cost router from tp-link was one of the reasons I purchased this new Deco.  Now that I see I cannot manage this the way I would prefer to, I am not as fond of the brand.  Please implement this feature as soon as you are able.  You already have all the tools to do so quickly and at low-cost.

Thank you!

John

Options
2022-06-01 17:54:44

@TP-Link The phone app is great for initial setup but now I want to REMOTELY administer the router at my dads house.  Impossible to do without being physically at his house on his phone.  Please give us a fully functional web based gui to administer the router.  
I know the phone app makes it simple for idiots but some of us have a few technical skills that we would like to employ. 

Options
2022-06-02 01:11:23

@Jlong1961 

Hi, the remote control of Deco is linked to your TP-Link ID and as long as you sign in with the TP-Link ID which is used for Deco setup, there is no need to be physically at his house on his phone. You could log in with the same ID on your smartphone or add your account as the manager:

What’s the difference between an owner account and a manager account?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-03 13:03:45

@TP-Link To be able to perform advanced router settigns from the browser is a must have. It is actually one thing that can make me change brand. It is very unconviniant to do basic port forwarding etc in the app.

For the record. Very happy with the hardware

Options
2022-06-21 21:18:32

@TP-Link I spend my days looking at a pair of 27" monitors and you want me to stop, and pull my phone out of my pocket (assuming I have my phone with me), bend over and look at a 6": screen instead of creating a web app would could be used anywhere like phone, tablet, windows, Linux, TV.  That it like the old days when web pages said you could only use IE.  Guess what?  IE is dead and you will not be getting my money.  

Options
2022-06-24 11:46:54

I tried the XE5300 and as an individual with a visual impairment, I could not use the iOS app to effectively configure the device. I was able to get it online with sighted assistance, but beyond that the app was virtually impossible to use. This means I have no ability to configure QOS, DHCP reservations, or other more advanced features. THe web UI, which is limited, was almost as inaccessible as the app. I use VoiceOVer on the iOS and macOS platforms.

I was very disappointed in the Deco app, which I had hoped would be fully accessible. I suspect this app is not a native iOS app, so the web UI would have been an alternative option. I am probably going to return the Deco for this reason alone.

Unfortunately, the Netgear Orbi app and ERO app are probably the most accessible options. I opened a ticket with TP-Link support, but I suspect this issue will get little attention in the near future.

TP-Link wrote

The initial plan of the Deco Whole Mesh system is to configure via Deco APP as we hope to provide a super-easy installation and non-high tech required experience.

Due to this commitment, Deco APP allows us to quickly and easily install Mesh Wi-Fi System by just following the step-by-step set-up wizard. Some users commented, ”This thing literally holds your hand through the full setup. 99% of people will hit next, next, next, and you are on the internet” which is just what we want.

Next, Deco App allows monitoring the home Wi-Fi from anywhere without bringing a laptop and making changes right from your smartphone or tablet. So as long as taking your smartphone with you, the home network activity is under your control.

Then, with a few taps on the APP, the advanced features, like Parental Control, Port Forwarding, and QoS are ready to go.

Moreover, when it comes to firmware upgrades, the Deco APP will automatically push a message when new firmware is ready. All you need to do is click “Update Deco”.

While, with the time going on, we gradually received some feedback that users hope Deco could be configured via web UI or more advanced features could be configured on the web interface. Unfortunately, there has been no plan to add these features yet.

But we are open to any feedback and would be appreciated it if you could let us know why you prefer web configuration to APP setup. So we would collect more brilliant ideas which might be taken into consideration along with the future APP upgrade.

Thank you very much for your attention and please feel free to comment below.

@TP-Link 

Options
2022-07-07 19:19:46

@TP-Link People are screaming out for access to a real web interface.   Yes we all know we can do the config from within the app. 

Please listen to your customers and update the interface so that it works and allows full control over the router.

Options
2022-07-20 14:47:00

@TP-Link 

Same here. Just got the hardware and I'm disappointed that I have to use the app to get things running.

I bet tech people at your own company told you that the app as only means pf configuration is a bad idea and won't be met with enthusiasm. But some marketing people though that apps are cool, apps are the sh*t, we have to have an app, everyone will use and love out app, APP!

Come on, why the usability has to give way to some bullcr4p trends?

Options
2022-07-20 15:11:18

@David-TP 

That is true.  But who wants to stare at a TINY PHONE screen to admin a router?    That is insane!   Also the web interface truly S_CKS.  You cannot configure anything with it.  The phone app is a gimmick, childish tool perhaps an idea dreamed up in the mind of a teenager that is used to being glued to a phone all day.  I hope someone at TP-Link comes to their senses over this failure.  

Options
2022-07-20 15:14:38
"The initial plan of the Deco Whole Mesh system is to configure via Deco APP as we hope to provide a super-easy installation and non-high tech required experience." Ok that is fine for the "non-tech people". But why kick technical people to the curb? Do you guys force your own developers to write code using their phones? Take a walk over to the the developers office and you will see them using COMPUTERS to write code and configure servers and such. Why in h3ll would you casually dismiss the needs of technical users?
Options

Information

Helpful: 166

Views: 48627

Replies: 310

Voters 163

+ 159 Voters