Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

358 Reply
Re:Web UI Configuration
2023-07-09 01:37:40

@TP-Link Installing an app to configure a WiFi access point is a non-starter, so this will be going back in the box and being returned. I should not have to register an account with you and install unnecessary software on my phone to use your device. It's bad enough that I had to register an account to tell you that your data harvesting plan sucks. I'll be damned if I'll be allowing that to be connected with critical elements of my home network.

Options
2023-07-09 01:54:42

@David-TP As others have said, nowhere does your product description - at least on the box or on the Amazon listing. It says that there is an easy setup option via an app. It doesn't specify that the device cannot be configured without an internet connection, TP-Link account and the installation of the aforementioned app on a phone or tablet. I bought this because it stated that it had an AP mode, which I was specifically looking for. I don't want all the other junk and I certainly don't want TP-Link or any other third party to be in a position to control whether or not I can configure my network devices. What happens if you go broke? What happens if you decide in the future to wield this power of yours in ways that I don't like? You're slowly turning this from an ownership scenario into a subscription. Sure, you're not charging people a subscription today, but what's stopping you from doing that tomorrow? No thanks.

If you want to provide an app to make configuration of the device easier for non-technical users, go right ahead, but do it in a way that doesn't require creating unnecessary online accounts and doesn't require unnecessary communication back to the mother ship. If people want to sign up for services like backing up configuration in the cloud or whatever other services you're thinking justifies all of this, let people opt in and sign up when necessary. Don't be like all the other bad actors in big tech inserting themselves into the middle of operations where they just are not required.

Brett. 

Options
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-07-09 02:00:43
I love the "optional" opinion field that must be filled in before the Save button is enabled. I've already posted on this thread twice. Installing an app to set up a WiFi Access Point is an unnecessary intrusion into my life. Requiring internet connectivity and a TP-Link account to set up a WiFi Access Point is another unnecessary intrusion into operations that you have no need nor business being involved in. You're preying on non-technical users with the promise of easy setup whilst harvesting their data and making them unnecessarily dependent on you. Easy setup wizards and similar functionality can be built without needing to talk to the mother ship and if the plan is to provide additional services like configuration backup to the cloud, let people opt in and register if and only if they decide that they want such services.
Options
2023-07-13 22:16:14
This really shouldn't be a hard option to implement
Options
2023-07-14 14:08:38 - last edited 2023-07-14 14:08:57

@Geg543 the Mesh works fine for me. Great performance.. but once i noticed that its not possible to config via browser im strongly thinking about to send back to Amazon..

The app is nice but there is absolutely no reason for not heavng a web configuration possibility. Very sad!

Options
2023-07-14 15:16:22

@Denitdm 

Exactly. Like me I believe everyone here does not understand why it is hard for them to give the control using Web UI. This is pure nonsense.

Options
2023-07-16 07:04:16 - last edited 2023-07-16 07:06:23

I hate that an app is required to configure the Deco system. I hate the fact that this requires creating a TP-Link account to configure even more.

Does that mean TP-Link servers are what is actually sending the commands to configure my networking equipment? Does that mean a rogue TP-Link employee could change my settings without my authorization? What happens if TP-Link servers go offline - does that mean I can't reconfigure my network anymore? What happens if you decide to stop supporting older hardware in your app -- does my hardware become useless?

A full-featured web interface is absolutely necessary. My newly purchased TP-link Deco hardware hasn't even arrived yet, and I'm already thinking of returning it to buy a different brand.

Options
2023-07-16 13:30:07

@TP-Link 

So lucky I spotted this on the Deco set up. I have just been mailed about the the Tapo C310 camera by ebuyer. Great deal. I was about to buy three.

Just let me check ...

Oh yes, you need a TP Link ID and an app to use them. 

That was close. Is this going to be a thing on all their products from now on ?

Biggest point they seem to be missing is I don't want to rely on their app support for my hardware and internal security. Never mind the data harvesting potential.

Until TP-Link wake up to this they ain't on my buy list for anything.

Options
2023-07-16 17:22:53

@TP-Link Unfortunately, the lack of a web UI is a BIG disappointment for me, a new customer. I will be returning my Deco system. The phone app is too cumbersome to work with and I prefer to sit down at my desk with a monitor and a mouse to configure and troubleshoot my network. Call me when you guys decide to get on board with the rest of the network device world. Good Luck to you!

Options
2023-07-18 21:38:19
A web interface for the advanced configuration of a router is a must nowadays. Considering the steps and information needed for the configuration of a vpn client, it is a pity trying to enter the data via the App. By forcing the consumer to use the app, I tend to believe there is an hidden agenda in relation with customer data collection including even location tracking. I would like to be wrong on that.
Options

Voters 190

+ 186 Voters