Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

350 Reply
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-09-11 01:58:26
Please provide standard router features in the GUI, including local name resolution.
Options
Re:Web UI Configuration
2023-09-11 09:15:46

I've posted my grievances before, but I'll post again because without this feature I had another annoyance yesterday.

I tried to use the app to allocate a simple port forward - a new port to open to my local server.  The app said I couldn't open a port to an IP address that was already used.

This makes no sense because -- you should be able to open any number of ports to a single IP.

My only solution was to try again.

I closed the stupid app, opened it again - select the server - type in the port - same error.

I try again, this time manually typing in the ip and mac address - type the port - same error.

I looked up this error on google.  no luck.

I checked here at the tp-link forums.  nothing.

the tp-link subreddit.  nothing.

why I ask, can I not forward a port to my server, when the app already lists the same IP address to many other ports that I've already opened for it?

So I keep trying -- and each time I try, I have manually type everything in. (which is annoying to do on a phone)

I update the app - try again - same error

I reboot the device - try again - same error

Then I wait 5 minutes out of frustration - try again.

then it works.

tp-link, your app sucks.

The layout has changed often, leaving the user unsure as to where things are.

It has reset my router settings on previous app updates.

It's been buggy as hell every time I need something done. 

Things that would normally take me 5 seconds to do on an established web-gui, is taking me half an hour or more due to fighting with the app.

Let's face it, we all know why they they want an app instead of a web-gui

...and it involves a certain three letter government.

Options
2023-09-16 19:43:43

@TP-Link please stop embarrassing yourselves. this trend gained most votes on this forum. I am not interested in the development of your app but in the development of a LOCAL WEBAPP on the router.

@TP-Link  clearly expects the customer to give up asking about the web ui. I will not.

How can you give more priority to requests that doesn't event get close to this thread votes?

be professionnal, I do not plan to change my routers soon so, again, please, take into account the request.

To all the TP Link community, keep asking for the web UI, don't give up. at least it will expose TP LINK as a company disregarding its customers.

Options
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-09-20 01:43:47 - last edited 2023-09-20 01:45:21

* adaptive html5 web UI (optimize for desktop and mobile browsers)

* initial setup wizzard via web ui captive portal (so no chance of non-techies leaving an unconfigured device with default passwords vulnerable)

* reorder the setup:

1) connect via rj45 or default open wifi

2) get directed by captive portal to initial setup wizzard on a client device browser

3) define router admin password

4) define new WiFi SSID, password, options

5) optionally define WAN configs (eg: PPPoE user+password) 6) optionally enable and login to cloud-based remote management

7) ditch android/iOS apps or make them optional... in either case make them work via local network instead of mandatorily via cloud (so loss of internet doesn't cause loss of access to device configs!!!)

* apply new wifi configs only at end of wizzard (so entire process happens with single reboot/disconnect, not broken down in the middle of configs

* no need of app (and of having smartphone/tablet device)

* no mandatory cloud management... by-the-way no need of cloud management even for enabling remote management, tp-link just needs to provide some dynamic dns options (one being theirs, another being manually configured domain) + remote admin login with anti-bruteforce features (eg: captcha, timed attempts)

Options
2023-09-26 19:16:33

@TP-Link I just purchased and installed a pair of Deco XE75 and am waiting on an outdoor Deco X50. I appreciate the simplicity of the phone app, and the basic configuration ran well without any bugs that I could see.

I am evaluating several different options for operating a home automation service which will require web administration integration. I have to agree with all of the comments in this thread. Your web UX needs to provide at least the same functionality as your phone app. And the requirement for cloud connectivity, while good for your revenue and technical support, represents a significant barrier in the US and EU for security and privacy. 

My customers are elderly and have neurocognitive disabilities. They are easy prey for hackers and disreputable marketing companies. Our system leaves virtually all data, other than what is required for remote technical support, on customer premise. Once personal behavior and preference data is transferred to the cloud, a whole host of issues arise.

I realize that the trend in consumer products is to drive them to the cloud, but for many applications this is not acceptable. At least NetGear and Linksys have partially acceptable web UXs, even if they leave off a few functions which are only offered in the cloud, their products are still useable without an app.

So having a web UX for remote, JSON REST application integration is really essential, and leaving configurations, logs, and other security data on premise is critical.

The web interface today is useless. I will be returning all of my products from TP-Link.

Options
2023-09-26 23:22:49

@TP-Link It doesn't take a huge configuration need to outgrow the limitations of a mobile app. The absolute basics of wanting to manage a block list by MAC address, or manage DHCP reservations add enough copy-paste and cross-reference overhead that navigating on a phone is a burden. God forbid you have any sort of home automation setup and need to dig into a couple of the more advanced configurations - no one wants to do that on their phone. PLEASE update the browser interface to include these kind of data-entry configurations that a keyboard and mouse are DESIGNED to do. 

Options
2023-10-10 01:33:12

@TP-Link - did I really just pay $400 for a mesh system that has this little of a web management UI?  I just purchased tonight an AXE5400 Pro system. I am trying to downsize my homelab, but maintain a mesh.  It would appear I have bought the wrong product for this.  I have been running Aerohive AP230's for the past 4 years without any issues, but since lately our electric prices have gone up, so the homelab is taking a cut (cutting down on servers, drives, all of it).  

I wanted this setup to be the perfect one for me, but I am sadly disappointed at a couple things:
1.) no true web mgmt - This is a joke right?
2.) no link aggregation - I would love to setup LAG or LACP to my switch so I can feel the effects of that 2.5Gb connection rate.

I am happy about parental controls, QOS, and all the other bells and whistles.  I would even be fine with using the app for initial configuration, but some of us out there would like more from this product.  If nothing else, give us the option to simply use only the mesh and allow us to sit the unit behind a router we could configure, without double/triple NAT'ing.  I know the unit is capable of having a web UI, even the Archer C54 I have sitting around has a solid UI, with solid options.  This Deco "App Only" BS is for the birds.  Looks like I will be returning this system in the morning and finding something that will let me manage my network like an adult.

Please, PLEASE read through the now SEVENTEEN pages (on this one thread alone) about your customer's desires and complaints.

Options
2023-10-11 20:04:10

@TP-Link I will echo everyone else here, a real web UI would make this a product I would be more likely to sell my customers. I already sell most of my home and small business users almost all TPLink products (installed 2 EAP225 WAPs, two smart switches, and a couple of AX1800 routers in just the past few days) but have held off on the TPLink mesh products because of this one missing feature. 

Prime example:

City office in a small town needs more than just a wifi router. There is no one who will allow me to use their personal phone to set up the account and the city does not provide phones to their employees. Will TPLink provide a phone in the box so they can set this system up?

Until this is addressed, I'll be sticking with the Netgear Nighthawk MK63 mesh system when my clients need that functionality.

PS. If you have a decent web developer you can easily "provide a super-easy installation and non-high tech required experience." through a web interface. Just sayin.

Options
2023-10-12 14:18:59

@TP-Link stop loosing time developping or redevelopping apps for android or ios, redirect your workforce on WEBUI. Now !

we want Web UI. Start listening to your customers.

Options
2023-10-12 22:03:36

@TP-Link Came here just to reiterate everything that has been said about offering a browser-based (on a PC) UI for the complete configuration of my x55. Don't misunderstand me. The hardware seems to be working fine. The trepidation lies in that using an app on a device requires a third party to be involved. A LOT of data is shared and processed via cell coverage (as we ALL know). I seriously do not feel as comfortable or as confident on a tiny screen doing the same functions that are much friendlier on a PC screen. And I can connect directly to the network hardware, not having to worry about who or what is between me and my router. I feel WAY more confident in negotiating ALL variables on a hardware basis than I EVER will in an app over a cell/wireless signal. Exactly how many more users need to ask for this?

Options

Voters 186

+ 182 Voters