Votes

Web UI Configuration

Votes

Web UI Configuration

331 Reply
Re:Web UI Configuration
2023-09-03 10:18:02 - last edited 2023-09-03 10:19:22

@TP-Link As others have mentioned having a Web UI with full admin features is really important. An app is just not suitable for this? Nobody wants to try to view logs to debug network issues. 

And if the app is meant to be the main tool to configure the network then you REALLY REALLY need to work on the usability of the interface. It's confusing to use. All the fields look like they are disabled when you can actually edit them. Also, as others have mentioned, a phone is too small to actually manage your network. If you aret thinking that users will have tablets to do this then you should also rethink that idea because I don't have a tablet and it's bad assumption that people would have one. 

PLEASE develop your Web UI. Using the app as your main management interface is a bad idea.

FYI. If I knew this was the case I wouldn't have bought this product. 

Options
2023-09-05 05:33:02

@TP-Link 

Why would you ever think that a mobile app to be enough? First of all, I should not have to install an application to my phone to manage my network devices, that is absurd.Here are just a few reasons why I may need a normal web interface and not an app:

- I may be security conscious and not like having unnecessary closed source apps on my private phone

- this may be a device that I'm just setting up for a family member and I may not want to keep this app on my phone just in case I need to check on something simple every now and then like resetting the router etc

- I may not have a phone that supports your app 

- I may have accessibility issues that prevent me to be comfortable using a small screen (in fact yes I do hate using my phone screen when I can use a bigger screen with much bigger font)

- It is easier to see and find things on a proper WEB UI rather than a screen size restricted app

- Whatever you can do in a mobile app, you can do it on a web based GUI, including providing the SAME EXACT user interface you're providing in the app, for mobile device access. So if I access the site using my computer I can see a normal web page like UI, but if I access the same management site using a mobile device it shows on my phone EXACTLY THE SAME as your mobile app. You can do it via numerous web ui development libraries and technologies. I recommend reading up on NodeJs, Angular etc.You may want to hire some competent developers though. It seems like you're getting really bad feedback from the ones you have if they have convinced not having a web UI is a good idea.

- I can use web ui to manage my devices from Windows, Linux and MacOS without a change. If I'm trying guide a family member through UI, all of these platforms will display the exact same thing. In your app, not everything may exactly the same

and for me, one of the most important issues as I've seen this happen many many many times with my old hardware. What happens when Android version stop supporting your old application in the future? How, then I'd be able to manage my device? 5-6 years down the road and Android changes some security policies and old applications fails to run, then I'll have a device that works technically but since I cannot access to the management UI I'd have to throw it out. 

I can go on listing reasons but I'll leave you with this single thought instead,

why would you remove an ability that has been the standard for network device management for decades? ALL manageable consumer grade network devices for a long time have always been managed via web interfaces. Why would you think that you're smarted then everyone else and change the way to manage your devices from the way the whole industry uses? Why not just ADD option of a mobile app, rather than replace the existing method? And please don't try and tell me technical difficulties as we both know that would be just a BS excuse for not wanting to do it or just plain simple incompetency.

Thank you.

Options
2023-09-05 20:39:23

@TP-Link 

This is absured. We see that there is 15 pages of this same feature request by a lot of people and also complaints but yet you guys are completely ignoring this basic feature that we are asking and which supposed to be the default feature. How can you guys ignore this request? Are you guys not capable enough to implement this UI?

If this continues then I think we should just return this modem.

Options
2023-09-06 01:18:13

@TP-Link I really like the hardware, but the software sucks

if you want to be a major player in this category, then you must provide an actual web interface..

otherwise, you're just selling a tinker toy

Options
2023-09-07 19:32:41

Maybe we should start submitting reviews on Amazon and social media warning everyone to the risks with this product. The fact that we are forced to allow the devices to connect to tp-link and must have an account to manage our network means they could lock us out of our own networks as well as mine our data.

Options
RE:Web UI Configuration
2023-09-09 11:16:13
app requirement is ridiculous
Options
2023-09-09 14:59:30

After using the app for a few days I can confirm that it is very well designed and so far I have not encountered any bugs.

The main issue is in my opinion the issue of security. Logging to your home router through the cloud, which is the only way for the app to access the router, does not seem safe.

Options
2023-09-09 22:03:19

@yossib54 

whilst I agree that the app seems to work okay and without any notable bugs in iOS, it's more the advanced setup of features which becomes tiresome.

when setting up, I had a list of MAC's along with the assigned IP's I had been using for ages with my home automation etc that with a web UI is so easy to copy and paste over from a word file... try inputting 30 MAC addresses on an iPhone keypad without developing carpel tunnel!

the next thing that irks me is when you setup a static route, you are constantly warned of a security risk... I know, I set it up!!! Why it doesn't disappear once you acknowledge it is beyond me...

and yes, I don't like all of my home IoT details being in the cloud... I deliberately use home assistant to keep everything out of the cloud... and TPLink being Chinese owned and likely open data servers to their government doesn't fill me with confidence...

i have no issue with the app, just give us a local web UI that can be used from a mac or PC and be done with this request...

Options
2023-09-09 22:07:37

@TP-Link 

This request now has the highest number of votes...

when will you listen to your consumers??? You are losing sales as many people have returned there devices or now are not buying them because there is no WebUI...

I will also be replacing my TPLink products. As far as I am concerned, I will not buy a single product anymore by TP Link, as my old devices fail or become obsolete they will be changed to another manufacturer.

Options
2023-09-11 01:55:14

@TP-Link 

I have three 32" 4K monitors, a full size keyboard and mouse at my desk. Why would I want to configure my router from a 7" phone screen that I need to put on reading glasses to see?

The ONLY reason I bought Deco instead of Google WiFi was because there was said to be a web interface, so I am very surprised and saddened that you can't do anything useful from the web interface. This is no better than Googe's terrible phone app.

Furthermore, it's very frustrating that there are no options to do things like local name resolution and other standard router capabilities that have been around forever. In my view, this is a step backward for anyone who actually has a use for high speed networking.

If I want to setup controls, manage DHCP reservations, etc., I want to be able to do that from a desktop PC, not a tiny phone screen.

Please give us full router capabilities either with a web gui or a cli. A phone app is the very LAST thing (e.g., way after an etch-a-sketch) that I would want to use to manage my router.

Options

Voters 178

+ 174 Voters