Deco LAN speed is capped at 100m/s

2022-02-15 07:15:24 - last edited 2022-07-12 02:49:43
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Occasionally we received some feedback about the slow LAN speed from Deco and the typical description would be: "my internet bandwidth is over 200/500m/s, but I only got about 100m/s from Deco". After troubleshooting with different users, the following causes are confirmed to be relevant.
(Note, if the model is Deco E4, you might get the wrong model since Deco E4 is up to 100m/s.)

• The Total bandwidth under QoS is set to be 100/100 m/s.

If you happen to have the same case, please change it to be 1000/1000 m/s.

Visit this guide to configure the QoS settings on the Deco.

• The WAN link speed is capped at 100m/s.

The WAN link speed might be caused by different reasons. The first one would be the Ethernet cable between the modem and main Deco. Please replace it with a good quality Cat5e or Cat6 cable.

If in any case, the issue persists after checking the first two conditions, we need more information to locate the problem:
1. Are all the Deco units capped at 100m/s or just one of the satellite units?
(if it is only one of the satellite units, the troubleshooting guide here might not be helpful, please refer to this link: Why is my satellite Deco unit not getting the same speed as the main Deco?)

2. Please connect a laptop via Ethernet cable to the main Deco and check the link speed on the laptop to verify whether it is 1G or 100m/s.
3. A picture of your network layout, such as

We would love to hear more comments from your experience!

Related Articles:

Troubleshooting: Slow Internet Speed with Deco Devices

Why is my satellite Deco unit not getting the same speed as the main Deco?

How do I test speed of Deco?

Why the actual wireless speed on my wireless device is lower than the speed result on the Deco APP?

Options
31 Reply
Re:Deco LAN speed is capped to 100m/s
2022-02-16 08:27:51

Hi  @TP-Link 

Thank you for raising this new topic starting from my prior input on another topic!

I found the solution using your guidelines!

I started off doing some tests using https://www.speedtest.net/

Results from the app on my smartphone:

Results while standing to the main Deco using a Wifi connection:

Results while using the output cable from my main deco:

Though I never remembered setting any limits in Qos, I found a limit there. The standard method was using a prior measurement from speedtest as its limit. 

When putting manually the Total Bandwidth limit to the values of ISP subscription I got full speed!

Test from a computer wired to a router that is connected to the output lan of the main deco:

Great ! :-)

So thanks for your help. This solved my problem.

Rgds

Erik

Options
2022-04-14 20:11:28

@TP-Link Hi, I have just had a 300Mps up, 100Mbps down fiber link installed.

I have a laptop and a PC in the same room as the fiber modem/router and one of three AC1200 Deco units as well.

When I connect the LT and the PC direct to the modem (wired, CAT5e cables) I get the max speeds on both.

I then connect the Deco unit to the modem, and the other port of the Deco to the PC - and I can only get a max of 95Mbps - down and up.

The cables are new, CAT5e - but I have swapped each in case one is faulty, no difference.

Same result if I connect the Deco to the LT - down limit <100.

I have checked the QoS - it was not set to 1000/1000, which I then did (see screenshot below) but it did not help (I did reboot the Deco).

I switched UPNP off - did not help (put it back on again).

For the record, the Wifi speed on the mobile connected to the Deco shows also around 80 - 90Mbps up and down.

What else can I do to try get 300Mbps (wired) from the Deco unit? I am sure that whatever is limiting it is also limiting the WiFi speed - I am fully aware that I won't get 300Mbps over wifi, but it should be a lot better than 90.

The 2nd screen shot shows speed of PC via Deco on the right, LT speed (direct) on the left.

The 3rd shot shows PC speed when connected direct to the modem.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2022-04-15 07:26:15

@WiseDavid 

Hi, I see there is a 3-pack Deco E4 under your TP-Link ID since E4 has 2* 10/100 Mbps Ports per unit, the maximum bandwidth is up to 100m/s.

So I am afraid that you might have the wrong device and Deco M4 would be a good alternative.

Best regards.

Options
2022-04-15 13:59:12

@David-TP 

Thanks very much for the quick response. As you can imagine that is not what I wanted to hear. Looking at the label under the units I see AC1200 10/100/1000 so naturally I expected them to be ok. Now I need to look for someone who only needs a 100Mbps set of mesh units.....

Options
2022-04-29 15:03:09

@TP-Link 

Hi again,

I have now purchased a set of 3 M4 units. I would like to set them up with the same SSID and password as the E4, but cannot find an answer as to whether this is directly possible.

I can see that I can add a new network via the app, but even without trying I am sure I will not be able to choose the same SSID and password (I would want to do this as I have many smart home control devices that would all need reconfiguring and that would be a big effort).

I can reinstall the app, but I am sure again that all the parameters are stored in the cloud, as soon as I log in I will get all the old info back?

If I simply disconnect the power to the E4s, and choose a new network, would that work?

Or, how can I get the E4s to be forgotten?

From the FAQs, it does not seem like I can mix and match E4s and M4s, or can I? That way I would add a new one, change that to the main unit, add the other two and remove the old ones?

Any advice will help - thanks.

PS - I would want to register the new devices with you, or is that automatic when set up the new ones?

Options
2022-05-01 12:57:00

@TP-Link 

Hi again,

I disconnected all the Deco E4 units (powered down) and then tried to install a new network using the M4s but using the same SSID. I guess not surprisingly the mobile failed authenticating to the new Deco, I suppose because of the MAC address or something else? Obvioulsy I could not proceed. So is there anyway I can add the new units to the same network so that the same SSID and password can be used without having to reconfigure each device in the home?

Thanks

Options
2022-05-01 18:22:34

@TP-Link 

I called the 24/7 help number and the person helped me sort it out - you CAN add M4s to the E4 network (despite the FAQ answer that does not include the E4 in the mix-and-match list). He helped me add an M4, change it to the master, then it was just a matter of deleting the E4s and adding the other two M4s. Nice when it all works, nice products, TP-Link.

Thanks

Options
Re:Deco LAN speed is capped at 100m/s
2022-07-10 19:10:23

@TP-Link Hi Im having the same problem I have a M4 capped at 250 Mbps, I all ready made all the test you suggest in previos points, My laptop have a Gigaethernet port connected to my router I got 500Mbps, on my Main Deco 250 Mbps with Wifi or Cable, I try to change the QoS and nothing, Can you help me with these pleace?

This is connected to my Deco with Wifi

This is on my router with wifi

this is Deco with cable

This is my network adapter.

Thks 4 ur help.

Options
2022-07-24 10:59:32

@TP-Link Change your patch cord for one category 5e or one category 6. That solved my problem

Options
2022-09-20 16:35:27 - last edited 2022-09-20 16:35:45

@TP-Link I have just added a X50 as the main Deco to my existing E4 Deco network to reach higher speeds with my new 1GB ISP connection.

But somehow I cannot get more than 100mbps from the main X50. I have tried both wireless and wired connections (with a CAT6 cable) testing with a Macbook and iPhone 13.

QoS is disabled.

Any other suggestions?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 15236

Replies: 31

Related Articles