Do I have faulty deco m5 or misconfiguration?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-23 22:51:46
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

Hi all, about 5 weeks ago I bought the three unit Deco M5 AC1300 units and everything was going well with the following setup:

• VM hub is set to modem mode
  • Main Unit downstairs hard wired to my Virgin Media hub
  • Node 2 upstairs back bedroom
  • Node 3 in the garden office wired via ethernet cable to the main unit

I was getting a solid 200mbs across the whole house until one day my whole system kept on going down multiple times a day, with the main deco rebooting itself every 20/30 mins for a few hours. After some forced rebooting and implementing some suggestions i read on the forum (changed the socket the main unit was plugged in etc) I got to a point where the main unit would "just" reboot itself a few times a day, but the weird thing was that the wifi signal became really weak at around 40mbs. Node 2 and Node 3 didn't seem to suffer any performance problems and when I tested broadband speed through the deco app it registered 200mbs, yet the main unit's wifi speed was significantly slower. I tried making the network just 5ghz and that didn't make a difference.

I have since done a hard reset of all the units, and physically swapped the units around so what was originally Node 2, that became the unit i hard wired into the VM hub making it my new main unit. After doing this, performance and speed has been restored my main unit now does 200mbs, but the unit I now have in the bedroom (the old main unit) continues to give me slow speeds. I tried to another factory reset of that particular unit and it still gives me low speeds, and seems to only receive 2.4ghz signal source, even if I set it up only a couple of meters away from the unit.

I'm starting to suspect one of my units is faulty. Any ideas?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Do I have faulty deco m5 or misconfiguration?
2022-04-24 02:55:13

@gabrielg 

It is very likely this unit is broken.

It is suggested to refer to this link to run a firmware recovery:

How to use webpage firmware recovery if the router become brick

After that, if still no improvement, you could contact the local support asking for the warranty service.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 275

Replies: 1