Deco wireless backhaul details

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-11 10:41:18 - last edited 2022-08-18 09:06:58
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi.

We have an inquiry about how the wireless backhaul behaves on all of the TP-Link Deco product lines. 

Let us assume the test environment has no other WiFi devices or there are no wifi interference. Only the main router and the Deco units are present. The main deco and satellite deco unit will be about 5 meters apart and there will be no obstruction.

-How will the Deco wireless backhaul work on both heavy network traffic and very minimal traffic? -
-What is the wireless backhaul speed from main to satellite Deco units?
-How many percentage of the bandwidth is used by the wireless backhaul on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz?

On this link, it says the M9 uses not only 5Ghz1 but also 5Ghz2 as backhaul traffic gets heavy. Does this mean if there is no heavy traffic, only 1 5Ghz band is used (867Mbps) for the wireless backhaul?
https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/deco-m9-plus/#:~:text=Deco%20M9%20Plus%20uses%20not,ideal%20for%20your%20gigabit%20fiber.

Hoping to learn and understand more about the WiFi backhaul and how it behaves in both light and heavy traffic and what is the wireless backhauls speeds on different traffic situations.

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco wireless backhaul details
2022-06-13 11:21:43

@borgph 

Hi, you could think satellite Deco nodes are mobile clients as well.

Take M4 for example, it provides 4 channels: 2.4ghz,5ghz, and the hidden 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

The hidden 2.4ghz and 5ghz are for Mesh backhaul only, and could also be used for VIP clients, the satellite Deco nodes.

They are always here no matter whether the traffic is light or heavy.

For M9 plus, it has 5 channels: 2.4ghz,5ghz-1, and the hidden 2.4ghz and 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2.

The hidden channels are still for Mesh backhaul between Deco nodes.

They are all active when the network is light and heavy.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-13 12:17:08
Hi David. Thank you for sharing this information. How about the link speed between the Decos? Can you refer me to a link that discusses more about the link speed of the different models of the Deco. What I am interested to know is the speed between the main deco unit and the 1st satellite deco unit. Since there are many different models, any reference that you can share just for me to have an idea how big the loss is from the main to the satellite deco unit.
Options
2022-08-13 01:27:21

I too am very curious about backhaul speeds.  I have the x3600 which is supposed to have a dedicated 5GHz band for backhaul, but I've found that the link quality is extremely poor.  I'm not sure how to use the app to validate what the signal strength is and if the backhaul is truly using that 3rd band.  I've searched but can't figure out how to see if there's ways to improve the backhaul, or if that's even my issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3869

Replies: 3

Related Articles