Deco X20 - Terrible Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-12 23:05:00
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20211103 Rel. 32888

Hi All,

Where I need to start:

Let me start from the beginning. I bought a TP-Link Deco X20 mesh system. Sadly I didn't read all the reviews how poor the signal on these TP-Link mesh systems.

How is my Layout?

I have the main deco at the ground floor which is connected to my main router via Ethernet cable. I have another deco x20 on the first floor exactly above the main deco unit. Hence the first floor unit correctly connecting to my main deco unit. The 3rd unit is the farthest deco which is the opposite side than the main unit and also on the first level. The 3rd unit is connecting also to the main deco unit.

I am happy if I can measure 10MB/s download speed on my office deco x20 unit, this is terrible.

Possible Solutions:

I read so many comments, forums about this terrible issue. I also contacted with TP-Link support, they suggested to switch off the main router, then reboot the other deco units on the provided way. I can confirm doesn't help anything. Still the structure is the same, my 3rd (office) deco unit is ALWAYS connecting to my main (living_room) unit.

Question:

@TP-Link Support, @TP-Link, TP-Link Dev Team,

Can you please provide my a FINAL solution for the signal source issue which is happening almost all the TP-Link mesh systems? Why the manual signal source feature is causing issues on the developing? Can you tell me please is there any update coming in near future which solve the above mentioned issue?

Thanks for your help.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco X20 - Terrible Speed
2022-06-13 11:48:16

@liquit22 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Even though I do think the office Deco should connect to the bedroom Deco based on the description, I still hope you could help me run the following test:

1. Temporarily unplug Office Deco and stand in the same place and disconnect/reconnect to Deco SSID.

2. check on the Deco APP which Deco unit the smartphone is connected to-How do I know which Deco my client is connected to?.

3. if it is connected to the main Deco, it might make the same decision as Office Deco, and please run a speedtest on the smartphone.

If it is connected to the bedroom Deco, please also run a speedtest on the smartphone.

If the smartphone had much better speed from bedroom Deco, later the engineers could help us re-select the signal source.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

--------------------------

Deco X50-PoE is ready for your advice. If you are interested, please help us complete the following survey.

Deco X50-POE Survey

Options
2022-06-16 08:09:51

@David-TP Hi David,

Sorry for my late response, i'll provide details about my test later today and thanks for your help I'll follow your suggestion. Thank you.

Options
2022-06-17 22:27:09 - last edited 2022-06-17 22:28:35

@David-TP 

Hi David,

Sorry, I was a bit busy which caused my late response.

As you suggested I followed your test but I can confirm still the same. Office Mesh connecting to the main Deco and as you can see below, the Office Mesh is half of the speed than on Bedroom Deco Unit.

Firstly apologies but my phone language set to Hungarian language but I translated everything so I am hoping everything will be clear.

As I mentioned my network map hasn't changed still the same:

I used the same laptop (DESKTOP-TEGOEBH) for each test and I can confirm my laptop used the 5 Ghz wireless.

1. Test

I ran my test on the "Mesh" this is the furthest from the MAIN Deco but also not willing to join to the closer mesh which is the "Bedroom" Mesh. This is my issue.

The test shows the download speed is 32.48 Mbps and the upload speed is 17.46 Mbps.

The below screenshot shows my laptop was connected to the Office Mesh during the test.

2. Test

I ran the same test on the "Bedroom" mesh which is also connected to the Main Deco unit but they are quite close.

The test shows the download speed is 60.58 Mbps and the upload speed is 18.48 Mbps.

The below screenshot show my laptop was connected to the "Bedroom" Mesh unit.

If you compare the two result you can see the download speed is half on the "Office" Mesh Deco Unit. This cause many issue during my work, and that would be great if I can set the source. The Bedroom Unit is the middle between the Main Deco Unit and the Office Deco Unit, so I don't understand why the furthest Office Deco Unit is connecting to the Main Deco Unit.

Can you please help me how I can change the source or do you have any preview firmware where I am able to select the source?

Thank you.

Options