Archer VR900 Configuration for UK TalkTalk Future Fibre

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-27 13:27:27
Model: Archer VR900  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v0069.0 Build 160721 Rel.66177n

Can anyone advise how to configure VR900 for TalkTalk Future Fibre in the UK?  I have the following settings from TalkTalk, but can't align these whith what's available in the router WAN interface, when configured as Wireless Modem Router.  Thanks!

Setting  Value
Username We use automated network authentication so there is no need for a username. You can leave this blank.
Password We use automated network authentication so there is no need for a password. You can leave this blank.
Transfer Mode/Loop Encaps PTM
VLAN ID 101
MTU 1500
DNS Set as automatic (or similar)
Priority 0
Authentication DHCP/IPoE
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer VR900 Configuration for UK TalkTalk Future Fibre
2022-07-27 20:02:50

@AndersonMu 

Hey

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that VR900 is designed for ADSL connections and Talk Talk Future Fibre is a Full Fibre setup.

In short its not going to work naturally for you.   What you are looking for is a Gateway Router (one that has a BLUE WAN port on back) that can just talk straight to your Talk Talk router, however personally I would recommend you look at the Deco range as it may be a more elegent solution for you.   

Something like the Deco M4 or M5 might be a good choice ans easy to setup with Talk Talk.  If you do go for an additional router (like the deco) then its best to disable the WiFi on your Talk Talk router and use only Deco Nodes (1 2 or 3 as needed).

Hope that helps and any queries do just reply..

Options
2022-07-28 11:01:06

@Philbert thanks, that's very helpful.  I suspected as much but hadn't found anything that said VR900 wouldn't work in modem-router mode (clearly, it doesn't). If I understand, Deco M4/M5 would need to connect by ethernet through TalkTalk (Huawae) router to CityFibre OTB, and can't connect directly to the OTB?  It's the Huawae gateway I'd like to get out of my system; could I replace it with Archer C2300 (or similar) connected directly to CityFibre?

Options
2022-07-28 15:32:41

@AndersonMu 

Im guessing you are in the UK so openreach have installed a ODT in your house?  Is this a small square white box, around 3inches square?   If so then its also a huawei device but an ONT instead.

You can directly connect a Deco to this ONT and bypass the need for a router, its a matter of adding your talk talk username / password into the Deco when setting up so it can allow you to connect.   When setting up its just a matter of choosing PPPoE connection and entering details as needed.

Its generally better to go straight to the ONT if you can, bypass any router / double NAT issues.

Options
2022-07-29 09:31:47 - last edited 2022-07-29 09:37:15

@Philbert AndersonMu

Hi, I might have a different option.

Archer VR900 has two working modes: DSL modem router and wireless router, and It does have a changeable LAN4/WAN port.

I see you are in the UK and the VR900 should be the EU version. The V2 does not support VLAN ID under wireless router mode with the current official version but the good news is I see in the database, VR900(EU) v2 could use the firmware version of V3, such as Archer VR900(EU)_V3_200228 and ArcherVR900(EU)_V3_210322 which support VLAN ID under wireless router mode.

So if you are interested, you could spare some time to do the following test on the VR900 v2:

Wireless router mode+dynamic internet connection type+VLAN 101.

And I do believe Deco would be a perfect choice if you want a proper router. The Mesh performance and wireless coverage of Deco are excellent!laugh

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-01 17:56:07

@David-TP @Philbert 

Thanks both for the suggestions.  I've hacked about with the V3 firmware on the VR900, but with no success, so I think it is destined for retirement.

I really like the idea of a Deco X60 mesh, but I'm even more keen to get the talktalk router out of the network, so I'd need to know that can be done before investing in it.  I really don't want double NAT if I have to configure access to NAS from outside.

From what I can see, the Deco X60 can operate in router mode, so it can do all the DHCP, port forwarding etc. that I need, but I don't understand whether it can connect directly to the CityFibre ONT.  The CitiFibre ONT is a totally non-descript black box with four green lights, fibre and a single ethernet port.  Do you know if any of the Deco range (X50 or X60 in particular) can plug directly into a CityFibre ONT (not BT...) without configuration, or am I likely to still need the TalkTalk (Huawae) router or obtain some other configuration settings from TalkTalk/CityFibre?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Options
2022-08-02 23:43:43

@AndersonMu 

Hey

Any of the Deco range have the ability to pass internet credentials via an ONT, so really just choose the model that suits you best.

In terms of "will it work", the cityfibre is just a standard ONT.. nothing different from Huawei or Nokia ones that BT use, its simply a differnet vendor.   In reality, all an ONT does is take the fibre and convert it to LAN cable, the router attached to the ONT is the devices that does the work for authenticating your account.

This link below should answer your query...  sorry wont let me paste the link, google   FTTP-through-Talktalk-on-the-City-Fibre-network    and choose the option for Talk Talk Community (should be first hit)

If memory services its VLAN 911 you require for Talk Talk

Options
2022-08-05 13:00:17

@Philbert 

Thanks again for you help, but it looks like I'm not going to get the outcome I want.  Just tried a new Deco x60, and it can't pick up the connection.  CityFibre helpful but can't release the settings (I'm not their customer and have to go through TalkTalk).  TalkTalk adamant they won't provide anything other than their own Huawei router, and the crucial details are not visible on its interface. I can't see any way of configuring my own router without someone providing the connection profile, and it's just not forthcoming.  I think I'm going to have to send the Deco back and stick with the Huawei until I decide whether I can live with it or find a working alternative.  I can't be the only person with this issue, but the CityFibre network here is very new and perhaps not enough customers are complaining about it yet.

Options
2022-08-05 16:05:53

@AndersonMu 

Its likely not much to do with CityFibre, more Talk Talk settings..

Try this as I got it working on a mates house using Deco and FTTP

Username We use automated network authentication so there is no need for a username. You can leave this blank.
Password We use automated network authentication so there is no need for a password. You can leave this blank.
Transfer Mode/Loop Encaps PTM
VLAN ID 101
MTU 1500
DNS Set as automatic (or similar)
Priority 0
Authentication DHCP/IPoE
Options
2022-09-05 14:02:15

@Philbert @David-TP 

I'm afraid that (so far) this query has had an unsuccessful outcome.  I've been trying for the last month to get confirmation of the settings required to connect a TP-link router to a TalkTalk via CityFibre, but no confirmation of correct details yet.

I purchased a Deco x60 and tried unsuccessfully to get that configured (it can't configure automatically, and no obvious combination of manual inputs gives a successful connection).  I've also tried my original VR900 but I have the same issues.  I've had to return the Deco to get a refund becasue it's an expensive item not to get working.

I've dug into the settings on the TalkTalk router, which does connect, but it does not expose the critical VLAN parameters that seem to be the problem.  There is only a check box for "VLAN tagging", which needs to be selected, but no VLAN ID or Priority are exposed.

From what I understand, and others suggest may be the case, I may need to configure VLAN tagging with VLAN ID 0 and Priority 0.  That is not a permissible combination on TP-Link routers but it can be done on some others, e.g. DrayTek Vigor, and various community threads indicate that can work.  I don't have access to a DrayTek to test that out.

Does anybody know if a TP-link router (or a Deco x60...) can be configured/hacked to allow VLAN ID 0, or is that simply not a valid configuration?  Unfortunately, all my old routers are also TP-Link and also prohibit VLAN ID 0.

Any thoughts welcome!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1313

Replies: 9