QoS seems functionally worthless

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 20:59:53
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.0

As title says, the QoS feature on the Deco M5 doesn't actually seem to do anything. Games will have huge lag spikes concurrent with large spikes in usage on iphones, regardless of what I set the QoS to. They will use all of the available bandwidth for about 5 seconds and then go back down to zero. Am I using QoS wrong or is this intended behavior? Is there no way to set limits on certain devices at all to get around this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:QoS seems functionally worthless
2022-08-16 11:14:06

@apn101 

Hi, When you enable QoS for Gaming computer/play station, have you also tried to enable "high priority" for this device?

And Deco M5 1.6.0 supports bandwidth limit on the guest network, could you please help me run a simple test:

1. enable guest network for iPhones and set bandwidth control.

2. then check iPhone would still use all the bandwidth that caused the ping spike on gaming.

By the way, is the gaming device connected to Deco via Ethernet cable or by Wi-Fi?

If it is connected by Wi-Fi, please also turn off "Mesh Technology" on the gaming device:

Thank you very much.

Options
2022-08-16 16:16:16

@David-TP 

Hi David,

High priority is enabled. I've now disabled mesh technology on the PC, as it was connected over wi-fi.

I'll test out the guest network settings and get back to you.

Thanks for your reply.

Options
2022-12-01 20:33:23

@apn101 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 367

Replies: 3

Related Articles