Deco M5 - Speed loss after upgrading to Firmware 1.6.0 Build 20220525

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-01 14:18:32
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Firmware 1.6.0 Build 20220525

I recently updated the firmware on my Deco M5 using the Deco app on my iphone. Everything went smoothly and the firmware is now the latest version Firmware 1.6.0 Build 20220525.

However, since the installation of the firmware there has been a serious issue with the speed on my network which has dropped from 800Mbos (wired) and 300+ Mbps (wireless) to around 25 Mbps (regardless of wired or wireless connection). I know there will be a lot of questions as to what I have tested so let me set out some of the details.

General background

1. On the Deco App, my internet connection with my ISP is around 800+ Mbps up and down
  2. I have a total of 6 M5s on my network
  3. All my Deco M5 have wired backhaul connections to my switch
  4. I have tried both wired and wireless connections and they are all around 25 Mbps (wired used to be 800Mbps and wireless 300Mbps)
  5. I have done multiple reboots of my system from the fiber modem, main Deco M5 router, switch and the remote Deco M5 mesh points
  6. I have done multiple sequences in restarting my network
  7. I have unplugged different Deco M5s from my network until only the main Deco was connected. Same problem persists

In addition to the above I have done a number of other tests and made the following observation

1. Physically disconnecting all Deco M5 mesh devices and only have the main Deco M5 connected to my fibre modem powered up
  2. When the Deco M5 is rebooted and only the ethernet cable from the fibre modem is connected, I am able to obtain speeds over 300Mbps (standing next to the device)
  3. When an additional ethernet cable is added to the 2nd ethernet port, it immediately drops from 300Mbps to around 25Mbps
  4. This happens regardless of whether the 2nd ethernet cable is connected to my switch or directly to a 2nd Deco M5
  5. I have tried multiple cables and it is the same
  6. I have swap ports (revering the in and out connection) and it is the same
  7. I have factory reset one of my mesh devices and used it as a new Main Deco and the problem persists
  8. To be fair I have not seen whether the devices work in wireless mesh mode because this would not work for my set up as I require wired back haul to get signal around my place which has thick concrete walls

Conclusion

• While the Deco M5s have been very reliable, for some reason, I believe the firmware has impacted the ability of the Main Deco M5 to operate with 2 ethernet cables connected to it and when there are 2 ethernet cables connected to it the signal pass through drops tremendously (over 10 times)

PLEASE HELP !!!

• Would greatly appreciate any suggestions or support in resolving this. It is quite irritating, and it is affecting my ability to do conference calls from home as well as leading to many complaints from my family.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 - Speed loss after upgrading to Firmware 1.6.0 Build 20220525
2022-09-02 09:31:24

@PowerButton 

Hi, Can I have a picture of your network layout, from the ISP modem to main M5, Then network to satellites?

Please install the beta firmware here to see whether it could improve the speed:Deco M5_1.6.0_build20220816

(It could be reverted back to official version later.)

And could you please also help me check the link speed on the device when the speed dropped to 25m/s?

How to check the associated/link speed on a wired client

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client

by the way, May I know who is your internet service provider?

Wait for your reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 317

Replies: 1