AX55 VPN Client L2TP and OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-22 20:46:43 - last edited 2023-03-29 05:39:15
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Kevin.

I purchaed both the Archer A8 and the Archer AX55.  My question is about the AX55 and VPN client configurations.

I have a 150mbps Internet connection. 

When I configure the Router to use L2TP from the Internet Setup (using ExpressVPN), I am able to get speeds that are close to 150 mbps.

However when I configure the VPN client from --Adavanced -- VPN Client - Choose LT2P and the same configuration for ExpressVPN, my maximum connection speed is around 12 mbps.  

I also tried this using SurfShark VPN, from the Advanced VPN Client setup option and got around the same speeds. Unfortunately TP-Link does not have the IKEv2 or OpenVPN in the drop-down list that allows you to setup the VPN with providers like SurfShark and NordVPN from the start.

Can your devs look into this and update the firmware accordingly.  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX55 VPN Client L2TP and OpenVPN-Solution
2023-03-09 11:04:26 - last edited 2023-03-29 05:39:15

@LouJohnny 

Hi,

As per other threads here in the community, you will find 10Mbts would be normal with the AX55 when connecting it to a OpenVPN server as a client, and this has been discussed here:

VPN client on AX55 - slow performance

Since AX55 has already support WireGuard VPN, it's suggested to connect to VPN servers via WireGuard, that would improve the speed a lot I believe. Below is the guidance:

WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:AX55 VPN Client L2TP and OpenVPN-Solution
2023-03-09 11:04:26 - last edited 2023-03-29 05:39:15

@LouJohnny 

Hi,

As per other threads here in the community, you will find 10Mbts would be normal with the AX55 when connecting it to a OpenVPN server as a client, and this has been discussed here:

VPN client on AX55 - slow performance

Since AX55 has already support WireGuard VPN, it's suggested to connect to VPN servers via WireGuard, that would improve the speed a lot I believe. Below is the guidance:

WireGuard VPN Firmware for Archer AX55

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:AX55 VPN Client L2TP and OpenVPN
2023-03-09 13:41:58

@LouJohnny 

Hi,

I've had a look on the Online Emulator for the Archer AX55 and according to that the protocol available in the Internet settings is L2TP, while the protocol that can be selected in the VPN Client section is L2TP/IPSec.

The former will not encrypt the transported data that is sent over the network, but when using L2TP/IPSec all data is encrypted to provide better privacy and security.

However, data encryption requires quite a lot of processing power and if the CPU is not fast enough, then it becomes a bottleneck.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1674

Replies: 2

Tags

Related Articles