Tapo app and cameras

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Tapo app and cameras

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Tapo app and cameras
Tapo app and cameras
2022-09-25 10:51:51 - last edited 2022-09-26 00:44:30
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.18

So, I have two C200 and two C310 cameras at my summer place. A few weeks ago the Tapo app on Android started to bug out. Cameras are hard to get to see Live-feed. You have to restart the app a few times for this to work. Sometimes the cameras show as offline. Restarting the app show its online again. Playback does not work att all from the SD-card on any of the cameras. I had people go over to my place and reboot the cameras and the 4G router. Still the same problem. I had these cameras working fine for a long time BTW.

So, the app version is 2.9.14. I downloaded some earlier versions:

v2.9.7 - Same problem
v2.9.6 - Same problem
v2.8.20 - WORKS GREAT!

So, what have you done from version 2.8.20 and above? Is the workaround to run an unofficial app version downloaded from a no name website on a "dont-use-this-android-for-anything-else" phone? :)

Thanks, Jan

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo app and cameras
2022-09-27 03:26:06

@JK2020 

If you can not live stream the camera, please try some suggestions in FAQ here. 

What should I do if I can't view the Tapo camera?

As far as I know the recent app fixed some minor bugs and supported more Tapo new models,  so it shouldn't affect the Live feed. 

To look into what's going on, you might install the latest APP back and see if the issue can be reproduced,if so , please help collect the log of one of the cameras. 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera

Please also share the model of your phone and its OS, a photo of live view, and the MAC address of the camera via PM, thanks. 

Options
2022-09-27 11:14:37

@JK2020 Thank you for the information you shared. 

If this issue can be reproduced after you installed the latest app back, please check my PM and help collect the APP log for analyzing the problem, thank you. 

Options
2022-10-22 09:22:15

@JK2020 

It has started to work now. Seem like the newer version above v2.8.20 requires faster internet speed.

The one I had from my ISP was for "smart devices and cameras up to 5 MB/s upload". But the download was only 0.128 MB/s.

The old speed had worked great before but it seems tp-link has done some major changes that requires more download speed for some reason. I don´t use any cloud services.

Options