Deco X50/X55 V1/V1.2/V2 with VPN/Static Route/MTU

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X50/X55 V1/V1.2/V2 with VPN/Static Route/MTU

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
172 Reply
Re:Deco X50/X55 V1 1.2.0 with VPN/Static Route/MTU
2023-05-04 20:37:38

Hi  @David-TP 

It's via Nord VPN for my case.

I follow there procedure for Tp-link and download the UDP file from there recommended server utility. 
I set up the vpn client via the deco app via my phone and it shows connected. But when I add clients they loose Internet connection.

It's not clear what file you expect me to send to the adress you specify.

In any case this is the link from Nord VPN that I follow. 

Best regards 

Festijn

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Router/1877338602/Setting-up-TP-Link-with-NordVPN.htm

Options
2023-05-05 16:37:41

@Festijn send an email to this support address support.forum@tp-link.com  with the subject  [Forum ID 270268] VPN Client is not working

I have the Deco X50 V1 set and once connected to the remote VPN as a client, either via L2TP or OPNVPN, the service shows connected on the app. Once I add the clients to give them access, they cannot access the internet or ping the VPN server IP.

Add your firmware version to the message.

They were really quick to respond and help.

It might help them to publish the current beta fix if they know more people have the same problem.

Good luck! Let me know how you get on

Options
2023-05-07 08:59:05

Thank you  @Ian_D !

In the meantime I have received a ticket in my mailbox. The helpdesk would like to connect to my network next week to see the issue.

I will respond to the mail with your info and we will see next week.

Grt

Options
2023-05-10 17:10:00

@Festijn Great, lets hope they can help also.

You will need to install TeamViewer on a machine to allow them to access your router.

They will need to install a debug firmware on your router to run some tests. That will reboot your router.

The support guys were very good at helping me.

Options
2023-05-11 05:29:50 - last edited 2023-05-11 07:23:46

@Ian_D Thanks

Due to the time differences it's not easy to find a timeslot. But in the meantime they send me a debug version which I installed.

Just like you I noticed the clients are working fine but the downspeed is only around 20 Mbps. But this will be adressed with future releases.

The other issue that I have is when switching from one vpn server to another vpn server the connection keeps loading and can't get connected. Only a restart of the deco's solves the issue.

But I can live with both as the clients are working fine now and that's great! 

Grt

Options
2023-05-12 05:13:45

@Festijn hi, good news re the debug version working for you.

Yes keep using this version, your app will tell you there is a firmware upgrade waiting, do not install the version from the app. Do not install any other versions yet, wait for the support team to let you know when to upgrade the firmware.

You can continue to use this one, its fine.

The engineering team are looking to optimise the code re the VPN speeds, hoping to have more info on that shortly.

Let the support guys know about your issue with having to reboot the deco to clear the "connecting" status if you switch vpn. I dont see this issue on mine. I have noticed that it can hold the first vpn connection open, even though on my app it says its disconnected and connected to the other provider. When i check the routing table I can see both sets of routes still in there.

If i run these commands, I can get the VPN IP and route via both VPN tunnels even when one should have disconnected

curl ifconfig.io
curl --interface tun0 ifconfig.io

curl --interface tunX ifconfig.io (tun x being whatever tun number has been assigned to that VPN interface)

traceroute -n -i tun0 google.com

traceroute -n -i tunX google.com

Hopefully an updated version will be released soon for eveyone :)

Options
2023-05-17 05:16:00

@David-TP I notice there is a new firmware update * again * , 1.2.5? Release date is : 20230511

I don't see it on this forum being mentioned. 

Can you tell us about this update please? 

thank you 

Options
2023-05-17 06:06:03

@JanRekenaar 

Hi, it is still in the early access stage and a small group of users could detect this firmware.

It does not add a new feature and mainly updates the HomeShield Content Filter database.

Best regards.

Options
2023-05-17 06:30:24

Hello @David-TP ,

I see it also.

Does it contain the vpn client fix? Or do I need to stick with the beta?

Thx

Options
2023-05-17 06:32:20

Hi  @Ian_D 

Thx for you reply.

I reported back to devs. In my case I have the same behavior when switching between servers sometimes the ip of the previous is kept.

But when I'm using one it's working fine.

grt

Options

Tags

Official VPN
Static Route/MTU
Related Articles