Deco M4 - internet connection unstable with in the Deco network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-16 09:23:43
Tags: #Internet connection instability
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.6 Build 20221229 REL. 72252

Hello, 

I have a problem with my Deco network stability. The network it self is stable always good strong signal. Problem shows as internet connection within the network it self keep dropping when there is heavier traffic (during evenings). 

The Deco network is set up as follows: 

Network providers signal comes through coax cable to the main modem (providers). The modem it self is set to a "bridge" connection - only passes through the signal to the main Deco directly. Than from the main Deco the signal is sent via UTP to a TP-Link 8 port switch (LS1008G) which divides the signal to 5 different UTP cables that split around the house (one of these goes to the second Deco unit upstairs - currently). I have tried to have the other Deco unit connected to the main Deco wirelessly but same issue persists. 

The problem shows as follows: When heavier traffic appears the internet connection keeps dropping within the network - dropping as in the wirelessly connected clients loose internet for a minute, every 5 to 10 minutes. Under closer analysis of the connection I notice that the "ping" to any IP outside of the Deco network fluctuates above normal (form 30 ms to +400 ms - for a few seconds) that is when the internet drops out to wirelessly connected clients. The problem only shows and exists on Wi-Fi - cable connection through the main Deco unit is stable the whole time. 

Also, if i try to ping a client with in the Deco network it self the ping values are all over the place; from 20 ms to 1000ms. 

Now I have tried multiple different ways of connecting Deco units together (wirelessly, by UTP) and in both the Wi-Fi connection persists unstable. Now I'm wondering if there could be a client within the network that causes the instability? Or is it a faulty Deco unit? How could I diagnose a faulty Deco unit? 

List of clients (Wi-Fi): 

- Xiaomi MI TV 4K stick, 

- 4 - 5 phones, 

- 2 laptops. 

List of clients (UPT): 

- 2 PCs, 

- EPSON work center, 

- 1 TV "box" (providers).

The Deco network setup is new, only bought the Deco M4 kit it self a few days ago brand new. 

Any help would be gladly apriciated! Manny thanks in advance. 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M4 - internet connection unstable with in the Deco network
2023-03-17 03:50:10

@Zankoo132 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Is your network layout like this:(If possible, please keep satellite M4 on Ethernet Backhaul)

Here are some suggestions for your reference:

1. Please turn off "Mesh Technology" on the wireless clients that kept disconnected.

2. If disabling Mesh did not help, please temporarily disable "Fast roaming" and "Beamforming" on the Deco APP.

The detailed instruction could be found here:

Fix unstable connection when connected to the Deco network (case 3)

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 470

Replies: 1

Tags

Internet connection instability
Related Articles