Switching to router mode from access point mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-11 17:10:22
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.6

TP- LINK Archer C6 (EU) v.2; firmware version: 1.3.6

Just a heads up that I'm a total newbie when it comes to networks and stuff.

Hello, I'm trying to understand the difference between access point mode and router mode. Currently, I'm in access point mode and I have devices connected to it via wire and other stuff wirelessly. The problem is that I want to enable port-forwarding and maybe VPN later on, but I'm unable to since I'm in access point mode. I'm scared that if I try to change to router mode I might break something and have to call the ISP and since they're notoriously bad at responding to customers I'd rather avoid that (and they might charge me)

I'll try to describe the current setup:

There's a receiver(?) on the roof that is pointed to a big antenna like 700 meters away, then there's a cable that leads from the receiver to the router/wifi that all the devices connect to.

Also If I am able to successfully switch to router mode, am I still going to be able to connect wirelessly?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Switching to router mode from access point mode?
2023-04-11 19:01:15

@fuyu25 

Hi,

So, your Archer C6 is currently setup in Access Point Mode and is directly connected via network cable to the ISP's "receiver"?

If that is how your network has been setup, I'd say that switching the Archer C6 to router mode to make port forwarding and VPN server available won't gain you much, unless you are also able to configure the same port forwarding rules on the ISP's router device.

Do you happen to know the brand and model designation of the ISP's "receiver"?

In any case, make sure you save a copy of the Archer C6's current settings before you change any settings, so that you can bring the router back to a working state in case something goes wrong.
This can be done from the menu "Advanced" -> "System Tools" -> "Backup & Restore". 

Options